GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Shocks - How it Handles

I know there are a billion threads on here regarding shock settings. Per suggestions I asked my dealership to change them from 3 to 5 when I was in for my 600 mile service. Most of the trip home (almost 60 miles) was on straight highways. The stiffer shock setting was VERY bouncy. I went out of my way to play on some backroads and the handling was better but still quite bouncy. Now, they also "adjusted" my tire pressure which I'm sure means they let out some air as I had them set to 18 fronts and 28 rear. With hurricane Sandy here it will be a couple days before I can play with it but I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.

Should I:

A) Ride around as is for a while?

B) Up the tire pressure back to 18/28, leave shocks as they are and drive around a while?

c) Up tire pressure back to 18/28 and change front shocks to 4?

Basically, I'm wondering if upping the tire pressure will help even out the ride or if I just need to soften up those front shocks a bit?
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I'd raise the tire pressure and lower the shock setting to #4...but that is just me.. You have discovered rule #1 about suspension changes. All suspension/handling changes are trade-offs. If you want a soft, Cadillac-like ride, you will get more sway and less crisp handling. If you want to corner like you are on rails, the ride will be harsher. Aftermarket solutions can blur the lines a little, but even those have the same trades...just at different places. You have to find what suits you best...sometimes choosing the lesser of two evils.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

On my New RT I had then put the shocks to 5 before I picked it up Because the one I test drove was at 3 and very mushy and swayed on the highway.
    I found 5 with tires at 19 and 28 to be Very Good for this 200 pounder and a Good ride (Thats Subjective) Only thing I will add is the Sway Bar( when ready) to top it all off for me!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I moved mine up to 5, and found it was much better in the corners. I didn't think the ride was that much harsher.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    On my New RT I had then put the shocks to 5 before I picked it up Because the one I test drove was at 3 and very mushy and swayed on the highway.
    I found 5 with tires at 19 and 28 to be Very Good for this 200 pounder and a Good ride (Thats Subjective) Only thing I will add is the Sway Bar( when ready) to top it all off for me!!
    Thats exactly how I have them and find it the best.I am also waiting for the sway bar.

Ivor

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Same here. I went from 3 at delivery to 5 and it made a huge difference for the better. Baja Ron's sway bar is next for me.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input! It sounds like adding more air back to the tires should be my first step. Once I've given it a test run at the higher pressure if it's still too rough I'll try the shocks at 4. Hurricane Sandy is mostly gone from my area so hopefully by this weekend I'll be able to try it out.

-Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Iffy ride

Have you readjusted your air ride settings ? Going softer or harder may give you the ride you want.