Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak, a.k.a. "That's just grrrreat."

So this morning I roll my Spyder out of the bike barn down the driveway. I often have a little oil spotting on the asphalt (go figure). Today, I had a nice big chunk of fresh oil. Hmmm. Still ran the couple of miles to work, figured I'd check it when I got home.

Once I returned home, I took the tupperware off. Just as I feared-- the oil hose connecting to above the front sprocket was an absolute mess. Just plenty of sludge, grit, and fresh oil dripped down the sides. Joy.

I went to check the hose fitting to see if the clamp was on tight-- guess what? The clamp split in half under my fingers! WTH? It was like it was cracked, clean break and all, just held on the hose by the sludge. Dunno how something like that could happen-- I'm just glad it didn't fall off down into the sprocket.

Longtime Spyderlovers may recall I had questions about this before-- I had a little bit of leaking there earlier this year, really just a tad of it near the sprocket.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...I-be-concerned

Verdict then was this was normal, to be expected. Alas, what I discovered today was anything but.

Thankfully I caught it when I did, as I subsequently checked my oil level-- and I've got hardly any left .

While I'm sure that the solution here is pretty easy-- just a new clamp for the hose-- I'm not going to take any chances. I think my belt is coming loose off the *rear* sprocket, a gap is developing there, so I'm just going to drop off the bike at the shop and have them fix the oil hose while I get the belt checked/adjusted.

The frustrating part? It's supposed to be a nice weekend, I was looking forward to riding the Skyline ride.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak, a.k.a. "That's just grrrreat."

Install new clamp , spray some brake clean on the area to clean it up , top off oil and go ride the skyway. The belt moving away from the lip of the rear sprocket is of no concern unless its now protruding over the outer lip , I've never seen a belt come off for the reason your stating. Go enjoy your ride.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    Install new clamp , spray some brake clean on the area to clean it up , top off oil and go ride the skyway. The belt moving away from the lip of the rear sprocket is of no concern unless its now protruding over the outer lip , I've never seen a belt come off for the reason your stating. Go enjoy your ride.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL

So you are saying you were almost totally out of oil.??????.......and the oil WARNING LIGHT never came on.?? What's with that ???????...........Glad you didn't seize your engine........Mike..

Spyder Garage

Default Oil and Skyline

Take Scotty's advice and let's go!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mechanical things do fail--sadly!

I had a very similar mess happen to my 2003 Vrod HD. While doing the Great Lakes Run some years ago I had an oil change done at HD of Cleveland. Twenty miles out from Cleveland I noticed oil all over the drive belt-sprocket area. Took to another HD dealer and for the small price of $85.00 the loose hose clamp that Cleveland HD left loose was tightened. The bike is long gone as are all but one of my HD's. RT"s forever!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So you are saying you were almost totally out of oil.??????.......and the oil WARNING LIGHT never came on.?? What's with that ???????...........Glad you didn't seize your engine........Mike..

Mike, if you have 4 full quarts of oil in your Spyder it will not show in the stick. When you add the last 1/4 quart thats when the level shows on the stick. I'm sure his Spyder is not anywhere near being out of oil.

I also agree with the others, buy a 50 cent clamp, add a little oil and ride it. There is supposed to be a small gap on the belt and also agree if it is not near the outside edge of the sprocket, your good to go.

Spyder Garage

Default AMOUNT OF OIL

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Mike, if you have 4 full quarts of oil in your Spyder it will not show in the stick. When you add the last 1/4 quart thats when the level shows on the stick. I'm sure his Spyder is not anywhere near being out of oil.

I also agree with the others, buy a 50 cent clamp, add a little oil and ride it. There is supposed to be a small gap on the belt and also agree if it is not near the outside edge of the sprocket, your good to go.
    Randy, I was just going by what HE said "almost no oil left".....I don't know how he arrived at that ????Mike

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Randy, I was just going by what HE said "almost no oil left".....I don't know how he arrived at that ????Mike

Got ya !!!! If four quarts of oil leaked out, the puddle on the ground would spread out and almost be the size of a small car. I hope that was not the case and hope he meant to say it just wasn't registering on the stick.

Spyder Garage

Got ya !!!! If four quarts of oil leaked out, the puddle on the ground would spread out and almost be the size of a small car. I hope that was not the case and hope he meant to say it just wasn't registering on the stick.
    Heh... yeah, it just wasn't registering on the stick, that's all.

But the stick was *dry*, and I had just filled it to the top not 500 miles before. So I definitely lost plenty of oil.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

But the stick was *dry*, and I had just filled it to the top not 500 miles before. So I definitely lost plenty of oil.
    Hot or cold? It will drop off the stick just sitting overnight. I think you may be over-reacting.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default LOST OIL

But then HE went for a couple of MILE ride, so the oil would be spread on the ground somewhere......with that hose disconected he sure could lose a lot of OIL....The only way we will know for sure is HOW MUCH HE PUT BACK IN...?????????........MIke...
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-19-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default LOST OIL

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

So how much did it take to re-fill it..??????????.....So we can end this