Thread: NEW SHOCKS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW SHOCKS

OK. After reading and researching all that I could find, I ordered my ELKA's today,, From all that I've read I'm really lookin' forward to see the difference they make in the ride and performance of my ,, Thanks for all the info from everyone,,,
    This is a "GENUINE" helpful and friendly forum,,
    Thank You
    Wayne

Spyder Garage

After installing the Elkas, you will think you have a new ryde. They make a world of difference.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    After installing the Elkas, you will think you have a new ryde. They make a world of difference.
    Absolutely worth every penny.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    Can someone elaborate on how they make such a big difference from the stock shocks? What do they do that makes the ryde so different?
    Last edited by Rar; 10-17-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Best mod I have put on my RT! Can't wait for BajaRons new RT sway bar!,
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post
    Can someone elaborate on how they make such a big difference from the stock stocks? What do they do that makes the ryde so different?
    I would like to know as well.I have the 2012 with the better BRP shocks than original.I have them at 5 as well as my tires at 18 back at 30 and the bike seems to give a great ryde.
    What is the benefit in paying $800 to upgrade?

Ivor

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post
    Can someone elaborate on how they make such a big difference from the stock shocks? What do they do that makes the ryde so different?

For me it was like night and day. I bought the elkas for my 2010 RT-S based on a recommendation by Lamont. I highly value his opinion, and my decision to buy confirmed what he said.

The difference to me was like riding on a rail when making a turn versus being in my mother's 1955 Buick Century that dipped and swayed in turns. I have not experienced the newer shocks BRP came out with.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW SHOCKS

The 2012 and the 2011 have the same shock. I upgraded to stage 5 Elkas. After some time dialing in my cornering is nice and firm and my travel is smooth as silk. Not everyone needs stage 5s. But it was definitely a good upgrade.

Spyder Garage

I bought mine from SteveMac at Lamonts BBQ.. Steve told me that if I dodnt like them then he would take them off at the Kentucky ride an refund my money.. I thought this is a no brainer.. I will have 4 weeks to try them out.. We had about a 370 mile ride home from Lamonts BBQ an the first 25 miles had already madem mind up.. It went from like riding a gocart across a across a cow field to drivng a Cadilac down the freeway.. The bike use to dance all over the road an was almost impossible to ride on the interstate due to the big trucks draft.. I suppose that the new shock lifted the bike some to let more air get under it an not block as much off... Trust me.. They are worth every penny..

Spyder Garage

Default An alternate opinion from a cheapskate.....................

I have a 2010 RT that came with the OEM shocks.
    I bought a pair of 2011 OEM shocks from someone who upgraded to ELKA.
    I paid $150 for the units, direct to my door.

What a difference. The bike felt steady, and no longer wallowed through tight turns.

Are the ELKA's better ? I'm sure they are, but I'm pretty happy with the OEM upgrade.

I feel I got 80% of the performance upgrade at 20% of the cost.

Maybe others need the additional 20%. I didn't.
    That's a good value in my book.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    I would like to know as well.I have the 2012 with the better BRP shocks than original.I have them at 5 as well as my tires at 18 back at 30 and the bike seems to give a great ryde.
    What is the benefit in paying $800 to upgrade?

Ivor
    I have the Evo Sway Bar and Ellka,s on my 09GS-
    I have my 2012 RT set to #5 and although it handles very well I am going with the Anti-Sway bar because it improves emergency responce and hard turning. I don,t feel the need for Elka,s on the 2012 RT. Thats just my opinion as a Single 200 Pound rider!
    Your circumstances may vary!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have noticed this is about the RT.. I have an RS.. I weigh 155 lbs.. ..has anyone used these on an RS at my weight range.. and what diffence was noted.. thank you,, jScotD

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Surgonamishr View Post
    OK. After reading and researching all that I could find, I ordered my ELKA's today,, From all that I've read I'm really lookin' forward to see the difference they make in the ride and performance of my ,, Thanks for all the info from everyone,,,
    This is a "GENUINE" helpful and friendly forum,,
    Thank You
    Wayne
    Be sure and post your thoughts after the install! I'm interested too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW

Installed new "ELKA" shocks Saturday ( while also workin' our (my) garage sale,, It took about 45 min to complete ,, WOW WOW what a huge difference ,,, Rydes smoother than it did new,, Still need to do a bit of fine tuning,, Thanks to everyone for your input and info on the "ELKA's" It also handles better than it did new,,
    Thanks Agin'
    Wayne

Spyder Garage

Bought my RT-S SE5 11 days ago. I have about 1100 miles on it. Today I rode 300 miles on I-77. The Spyder was very affected by the turbulence from semi trucks. Are all RT's like this? Should I consider different shocks?
    Bernie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyguy View Post
    I bought mine from SteveMac at Lamonts BBQ.. Steve told me that if I dodnt like them then he would take them off at the Kentucky ride an refund my money.. I thought this is a no brainer.. I will have 4 weeks to try them out.. We had about a 370 mile ride home from Lamonts BBQ an the first 25 miles had already madem mind up.. It went from like riding a gocart across a across a cow field to drivng a Cadilac down the freeway.. The bike use to dance all over the road an was almost impossible to ride on the interstate due to the big trucks draft.. I suppose that the new shock lifted the bike some to let more air get under it an not block as much off... Trust me.. They are worth every penny..
    Which stage Elka shocks did you get??

Spyder Garage

Default windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Hberninger View Post
    Bought my RT-S SE5 11 days ago. I have about 1100 miles on it. Today I rode 300 miles on I-77. The Spyder was very affected by the turbulence from semi trucks. Are all RT's like this? Should I consider different shocks?
    Bernie
    I too am a new owner and experienced a lot of buffeting on the highway that bothered me. Based on reading this forum I started with getting a new Calsci windshield. Used it on a few hundred mile drive over the weekend and what a difference. We rode on a windmill-laden road that had ridiculous winds (never going that way again) but I must say that while my wife and I were being pushed around, holding the front end in the lane was not a problem. There were a few gusts when I felt the front end bow into the shocks and I too am considering the ELKAS because we ride two up always and we love driving the side roads of CA. I have a 2012 RT with shocks set to 5. Just my experience and I don't know enough about shocks to know if they are a better investment but the shield has made a huge difference for us on freeways and in wind.

Spyder Garage

Kmacs,
    What size Calsci windscreen did you get?
    Anyone have advice on how I determine which size to get?