Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question helmet communication

Hello all,

If any of you have seen my previous post, you know that I am far from being highway ready as I have not reached speeds over 40mphs(just reached that as a new high today )...any whoooo, I have been thinking about things I will want/ need when I am certified and actually taking spYder trips. I have seen on youtube spYders with speakers and amps added so I know that is an option, but I don't really want to be the guy who has the loud music as I pull up to a stop light. Plus I like the trunk(I think it was also called a Frunk) room for mini grocery runs and or clothes, helmets etc...I saw online today bluetooth systems made for motorcycle helmets that connect to a cell phone, gps, play music, and can be a walkie talkie between riders that have the same type of system. The ones I have seen online are made by interphone(F5 seems like the best option so far), Sena, Cardo. Also, my helmet came with a recommendation for chatter box but all of the reviews were bad on those for music clarity and phone call volume. Do any of you use products made by these companies or have another option that you would recommend. I have a RS-S if that matters. Thanks!!!

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    Hello all,

If any of you have seen my previous post, you know that I am far from being highway ready as I have not reached speeds over 40mphs(just reached that as a new high today )...any whoooo, I have been thinking about things I will want/ need when I am certified and actually taking spYder trips. I have seen on youtube spYders with speakers and amps added so I know that is an option, but I don't really want to be the guy who has the loud music as I pull up to a stop light. Plus I like the trunk(I think it was also called a Frunk) room for mini grocery runs and or clothes, helmets etc...I saw online today bluetooth systems made for motorcycle helmets that connect to a cell phone, gps, play music, and can be a walkie talkie between riders that have the same type of system. The ones I have seen online are made by interphone(F5 seems like the best option so far), Sena, Cardo. Also, my helmet came with a recommendation for chatter box but all of the reviews were bad on those for music clarity and phone call volume. Do any of you use products made by these companies or have another option that you would recommend. I have a RS-S if that matters. Thanks!!!
    I had some cardos. very unhappy with them. incredibly quiet, and they dont seem to want to pair with anything that isn't cardo for intercom.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default Communication

I have an old chatterbox not the latest, does not compare to my Cardo scala rider. Wife and I have good connections while riding. At 65+mph some problem with phone Bluetooth. Once connected works well, but voice command to make call has mixed results. At lower speeds everything works well. I use modular full face helmet and wife has open face with full shield. Bluetooth pairing to other devices is not a problem. FM radio works well in town, reception out in the sticks not to good.

Spyder Garage

Default Cardo Rider

We have had excellent results withour Cardos. We have, I beleve, the G4 set and pairing has never been an issue and the Bluetooth connection consistency seems to depend on the device. Not the cheapest, nor the costliest, but good results for us. Oh, we wear helmets with shields, with the full face hats we had, it sounded like somebody hollering down a drainpipe.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Default I guess they all have some issues

What you all are saying goes hand and hand with the reviews I have seen online. Although the one made by interphone(F5) had a good review by a dealer but I haven't seen much from actual customers. Two or three hundred dollars is a lot of money FOR ME to spend if it doesn't really help me on the highway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are really asking GREAT questions!
    I've got no answer for you since I normally keep my RT's stereo hopping... (the guys in the Tuba factory downtown keep asking me to lower the volume!)
    I DO know that my ScalaRider Teamset Pro intercoms have a plug that you can hook an I-Pod up to...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Although the Sena SMH10 seems to me to be the best of the wireless units, I prefer wired systems. They are pretty bulletproof as far as communications on one machine. We use the Starcom1 systems. Seamless hookups to MP3 and phone (wired), and some of the best automatic noise and volume adjustments available. If you carry a passenger, the intercom is outstanding.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sena SMH10 works great for our group. Just bought the complete dual set up, you should be able to get a single for 130-150 range.
    hurry up and get legal, have someone ride your spyder to one of the weekend courses and you can use it to pass the test. You will not be legal for 2 wheelers, just 3 wheels. We have several rides coming up in Nov and Dec. hope to see you then.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

My wife and I use the Sena SmH10 units while riding our RT. Good volume, clarity, battery life. Pairs with my phone or IPod via Bluetooth. As mentioned can also connect via wire to Ipod or or music player. Works good that way for radio if you like.

Spyder Garage

I just got my Sena SM10 yesterday.In no time I had it hooked up and went riding with good music.Also used the phone.The best deal I found was The Dual headset package.$247.00 including shipping from Eastern Performance Cycles.www.easternperformance.com

Ivor

Spyder Garage

Default CARDO SCALA G9

i bought the CARDO SCALA G9 in May of 2012, and it's a GREAT UNIT... it's made in the USA, Pennsyvania actually, and the guys there are GREAT to work with... the G9 is upgradable, and will also communicate with the older G4's... sound is very clear and will Blue-Tooth to your phone, GPS, etc... the ONLY thing i can think of that is a negative, is that it has so many things it can do, that it's confusing when reading the booklet for the first twenty times...
    SAM_0318.jpg

Spyder Garage

I've been using the Sena SMH10 for two seasons now both as an intercom with my wife on the back and to talk to my buddy on his HD. They work great in both situations. I typically have my iPhone (music) and a Garmim Zumo 220 connected on trips. Nevere have had any issues even in a downpour at highway speeds.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Scala Rider

I have the dual Scala Rider set up (Cardio G4 Powerset)and have really enjoyed it. I am NOT a technology person my any means, so my partner gets everything set up and connected and reminds me which buttons to use each and every time we use them. I originally bought them to A) play music and B) to have bike to bike communication (At the time we were a 2 motorcycle family - 1 Harley, 1-Ninja; that has since changed since I just sold the Ninja to help fund a SPYDER !!!!!!) Negating my technology inabilities, I like the Scala Rider (I found it lightly used on another motorcycle forum) and would buy it again. Since the company recently released the G9 set, you might find some used G4s on various motorcycle boards.

I don't know the laws where you live; however, in Tennessee getting your DL is as easy as taking the written test then the driving test portion. I AM a big fan of the motorcycle safety classes, but in TN a class is not a requirement to attaining one's DL. If you are comfortable with studying a pamphlet and feel confident enough to ride your Spyder while making a few turns, some merging, and stopping, you would easily pass the test required for a motorcycle endorsement for a TN DL. Again, I AM a fan of the moto safety classes and this information holds true in TN; I am unsure about other states.

Enjoy,
    Katie

Spyder Garage

Default helmet communication

My wife an I use the Scala G4 and the voice commands are hit and miss. The intercom works but does drop out once in awhile. I will say when riding by myself it works perfectly syncd with GPS and iPhone. I may move to the Sena 10.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We've used the Sena headsets for about a year. Couldn't be more pleased. Able to talk to the two other sets in our group, answering the phone and listening to music.

There are several good choices out there. Good luck in your search.

Spyder Garage

Another Cardo user here. No problems with the G'2s that we are still using.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scala Q2 Pro users here. Have em on our touring gear. They pair up ok, only sometimes there is a bit of delay between turning them on and pairing. The in-helmet speakers are not as good as say earbuds, but we can hear each other even while wearing earplugs. Built in FM radio is kind of weak; clumsy controls and poor reception - but I never use it anyway. Range of transmission is 1mi line of sight, less in canyon twisties. Will probably go with Sena next time.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default looking forward to it...

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    Sena SMH10 works great for our group. Just bought the complete dual set up, you should be able to get a single for 130-150 range.
    hurry up and get legal, have someone ride your spyder to one of the weekend courses and you can use it to pass the test. You will not be legal for 2 wheelers, just 3 wheels. We have several rides coming up in Nov and Dec. hope to see you then.
    I was thinking of getting a small trailer from Uhaul for about $35 to take my spyder to the course to avoid having it on the road before I am legal. I am excited about taking a real ride but want to be as comfortable as possible before I get in real traffic. :-)

Spyder Garage

Default I live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
    I have the dual Scala Rider set up (Cardio G4 Powerset)and have really enjoyed it. I am NOT a technology person my any means, so my partner gets everything set up and connected and reminds me which buttons to use each and every time we use them. I originally bought them to A) play music and B) to have bike to bike communication (At the time we were a 2 motorcycle family - 1 Harley, 1-Ninja; that has since changed since I just sold the Ninja to help fund a SPYDER !!!!!!) Negating my technology inabilities, I like the Scala Rider (I found it lightly used on another motorcycle forum) and would buy it again. Since the company recently released the G9 set, you might find some used G4s on various motorcycle boards.

I don't know the laws where you live; however, in Tennessee getting your DL is as easy as taking the written test then the driving test portion. I AM a big fan of the motorcycle safety classes, but in TN a class is not a requirement to attaining one's DL. If you are comfortable with studying a pamphlet and feel confident enough to ride your Spyder while making a few turns, some merging, and stopping, you would easily pass the test required for a motorcycle endorsement for a TN DL. Again, I AM a fan of the moto safety classes and this information holds true in TN; I am unsure about other states.

Enjoy,
    Katie

Funny thing Katie, is that on the TxDPS website it lists the safety course as if it is required but it doesn't spefically say that. It only states that the driving test is waived if you have taken the safety course. I will take the course anyway, but wasn't 100% if it was required. My dealer gave me to pamplets for places that does the safety course and allows spyders but I have to buy some riding boots or hightop shoes to take the course. They say the shoe has to cover the ankle, which is odd to me because I ride now in low top shoes with no issues but I am sure there is a valid reason for it...

Requirements for All Applicants
    All first time applicants for a Texas motorcycle license must:

1. Apply in person at a Texas Driver License office.
    2. Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
    3. Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you are 18 years of age or older.

Spyder Garage

Default does it make a difference

...that I use a 3/4 helmet with the communication system?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

...that I use a 3/4 helmet with the communication system?
    My husband and I both use 3/4 helmets. I have added a face shield to mine. We use the sena SMH10 units.
    http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Spyder Garage

I was thinking of getting a small trailer from Uhaul for about $35 to take my spyder to the course to avoid having it on the road before I am legal. I am excited about taking a real ride but want to be as comfortable as possible before I get in real traffic. :-)
    Most U-Haul trailers will not fit the Spyder. The ramp entry is too small.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena smh5

My wife and I ride with the Sena smh5 on the RSS. My buddy rides with one on his BMW. I can switch between talking with him and talking with my wife. We can all listen to separate music when not talking. GPS. Phone. Voice dialing. Voice answering. Helmet to helmet up to 400 meters. Waterproof. Rechargeable. Easy to use with gloves. Can skip a song when you don't like it. $90 per set or $180 for a dual set. Great volume. Great clarity. Looks slick. Works great. Can charge while using.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Most U-Haul trailers will not fit the Spyder. The ramp entry is too small.
    Ill have to check it out. They have a 5x9 trailer and a 6x12. Both come with a loading ramp. I would prefer to tow it there and back than have one of crazy buddies destroy the motor driving 60mph in 1st gear.

Spyder Garage

Ill have to check it out. They have a 5x9 trailer and a 6x12. Both come with a loading ramp. I would prefer to tow it there and back than have one of crazy buddies destroy the motor driving 60mph in 1st gear.
    The tailgate opening in their 6x12 is too narrow on most of their trailers. Be sure to measure the tailgate opening in person before your rent.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!