Spyder Garage

Default Wind Protection: RT v. ST

Hi all. New to the forum and want to introduce myself and ask a quick question. My wife just completed the 3-wheel rider training course and received her endorsement. She is starting to look at Spyders and is interested in the ST or RT. How significant is the difference in the rider (wind) protection on the ST versus RT? I know the ST is not yet released - but it appears to be the RS with larger windscreen in that regard. Looking forward to the insight of the folks on the forum.
    Last edited by Raknid; 10-15-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

Havent ridden an ST yet, had an RS with a large windshield and the RT is much better all around for comfort.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    Havent ridden an ST yet, had an RS with a large windshield and the RT is much better all around for comfort.
    I have a similiar thread at : http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-ST-or-2013-RT

The base ST shield from what i have seen does seem pretty small. However with an aftermarket shield plus it being a stand up and manually adjust at a stop light/sign in seconds seems easy enough.

Spyder Garage

The ST shield is taller than the RS, that is true, but the console is different, too, making it mount higher to boot. The windshield is closer, and has a different shape. It should be much mo0re similar to the RT than to an RS with a tall windshield. Only one of the test riders has ridden them enough to offer a further comparison.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

They'll be no fair comparison until the ST becomes available for test rides and numerous people get a chance to form a qualified opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    She is starting to look at Spyders and is interested in the ST or RT. How significant is the difference in the rider (wind) protection on the ST versus RT?
    The RT has the best wind and weather protection I've ever experienced riding an open vehicle, I'd have to be tucked up inside a car to be better protected! I haven't ridden an RS or ST, not yet, but I doubt they'd keep the wind and rain off as effectively as my RT does, it really is an outstanding tourer.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    They'll be no fair comparison until the ST becomes available for test rides and numerous people get a chance to form a qualified opinion.
    So let me make up my mind before the facts can get in the way of a perfectly-good preconception!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black