Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Milage with the RS

Hi Everyone
    I am just wondering what gas mileage most of you are getting with the RS riding single not 2 up...
    mine is a 2008 model. Today I filled up the tank when the little red gas pump came on I did the math
    and I am getting 27.8 MPG the tank before was 27.5. Is that normal ???? my car gets better than that
    my daily driver is a Cheve. HHR it always gets 30 or better average, My ST1100 and ST1300 both get
    46 to 50 MPG all the time.... I am guessing it must be the added mass bigger frame more tires on the ground
    and such. But how would you explain the milage the car gets it has way more mass 4 tires on the ground
    and weights more. ????
    Dave

Spyder Garage

09 RS getting 28 to 30 mpg average.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

22-25 mpg with Aerocharge Turbo. Did not purchased the 2008 Spyder for fuel economy.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's countless threads about this very issue...
    Why not take a pass through the Search function so that you get caught up?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine was bad on the RS, just because I stayed in the throttle a lot. Much more fun around town than my RT. Maybe its time to go back to one? Maybe an RSS.

Spyder Garage

28 - 33
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

You are right on the money. My wife gets the same on her 2008 GS...and she gets better in her HHR, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It shocks people when I tell them the fuel economy. The excited look on their face immediately turns into a sharp dissappointment. It is what it is....doesn't bother me because I don't do long distance driving anyway.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The easiest, Way to equate mileage compared to an automobile is to compare HP to weigh,.
    Buy a Trike with the same HP to weigh as an average economy auto, And that Trike will get 50/60 MPG.
    ie; 150/250 cc with the trike. If BRP was looking to sell Spyders with high MPG, They would have used a 250cc engine, And then very quickly go out of business selling dull machines.

Spyder Garage

As much as it pains me to spend $50.00 when I fill up over here, I would not swap it or compromise anything about it for better economy. I ride it because I love it, and if I want economy I will drive a 1500cc car
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank You

Hi all
    Thank you for the information... I don't much care what the mileage is I was just wondering
    what most people get... I never buy toys with the idea of getting economy I know better.
    I did have a Honda twin star in about 1975 that got around 80 mph but with it only being a
    175 cc you better not take it on California freeways....My Gold Wing only gets 32 to 35 tops
    Dave

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BAD NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Everyone
    I am just wondering what gas mileage most of you are getting with the RS riding single not 2 up...
    mine is a 2008 model. Today I filled up the tank when the little red gas pump came on I did the math
    and I am getting 27.8 MPG the tank before was 27.5. Is that normal ???? my car gets better than that
    my daily driver is a Cheve. HHR it always gets 30 or better average, My ST1100 and ST1300 both get
    46 to 50 MPG all the time.... I am guessing it must be the added mass bigger frame more tires on the ground
    and such. But how would you explain the milage the car gets it has way more mass 4 tires on the ground
    and weights more. ????
    Dave
    I hate telling you the bad news but you don't have an RS......You have a GS........As do I, more bad news I average 38 to 39 MPG consistantly over the past 5000 miles or so........Mike

Spyder Garage

32-34 with mixed city and highway. Mine's an 08 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I hate telling you the bad news but you don't have an RS......You have a GS........As do I, more bad news I average 38 to 39 MPG consistantly over the past 5000 miles or so........Mike
    On my 2011 RS-S SE5 I road 120 miles from North East Ga. to Maggie Valley, NC. On the way up I got 41.2 mpg and back 42.5. No the Smokey Mtn. Parkway I got 34.0 to 36.1 mpg. I used high test gas on the hole trip. I had a my carbs. cleaned and balanced and a new map sensor installed about 1,000 miles ago. I have NGK Iridium sparkplugs, BajaRon plug wires, Amsoil, K&N air fliter, and no oil in my airbox.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Apples to Oranges

It's hard to compare the mileage with a car as I would bet you are on the gas more with the Spyder. I'm sure if you were in the same cruising sweet spot on both the mileage on the Sypder would be better. Mileage on a bike is all in the wrist.

I ride a CBR F4i on the street which isn't that bad but I'm always filling up. A guy at Advance Auto once commented that my bike probably got good gas mileage. "Not like I ride it" I said. These 25 - 30 quotes I hear are better than I get on a 600 with half the weight.

Another good example is jet-skis, a tank can last all day or 1.5 hours depending on how you ride. I tell the kids half throttle max .

Spyder Garage

On my 08 GS, the worst I've gotten is around 28, 2 up pulling a trailer at 75 mph. The best was 38, on a ride where I rarely got above third gear, or 45 mph!

john

Spyder Garage

30 give or take a couple.

Two up around 40, that's because I rarely go over 60mph with my precious cargo (Anne) aboard.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Milage with the RS

33-36 juicebox pro, HMF and green filter

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    30 give or take a couple.

Two up around 40, that's because I rarely go over 60mph with my precious cargo (Anne) aboard.
    Was that with Imperial Gallons.

Spyder Garage

Most sport bikes have dismal mpg ratings and range as well. Take a stroll thru any Ducati or aprilia forum and you'll hear "blah blah blah I ran out after 100 miles" same story different ride. If its fuel sipping distance this is the wrong mount, an 883 sportster should get you 50 on the highway and probably out distance a spyder with a baby 3 gallon tank... Oh well.
    twist go refuel ... Oh and smile while your at it
    and when someone looks down on you when they hear your truck like mpg rating tell them to buy a EV to offset your carbon footprint so you can have fun

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Was that with Imperial Gallons.
    Yeah, but I think the UK gallon is slightly bigger than the US one for some reason.

UK Gallon is 4.46 litres.

Spyder Garage

Default MPG - it's all relative

With my 08 GS I get 28 to 32 depending on lots of factors, With my 08 Dodge 1 ton dually I get 17 empty 11 hauling camper and pully the spyder transport. I'm happy with the 28 - 32 - it's all relative.

Last edited by pathfinderjoe; 10-23-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, but I think the UK gallon is slightly bigger than the US one for some reason.

UK Gallon is 4.46 litres.
    Yep,
    So' that would lower your MPG figures compared to someone checking their mileage using US gallons.

Spyder Garage

No, if the gallon is bigger, that means more miles per.

but I think the difference is minor.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

No, if the gallon is bigger, that means more miles per.

but I think the difference is minor.
    Imp. Gal. = 4.560 L
    Us Gal.=3.785 L