Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

When we took the GWRRA trike training, the excersices were mostly in conjunction with the MSF learning courses. There were some instances that we could abruptly corner a cone at 10-15 MPH and one of the wheels would come up. Like Scotty says, since the Nanny is more of an aid, we did not stop but continue going so the compensated the turn and never felt like we would turn over.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I've done it. Scared me a little too. But the more I "learn" my bike and how she wants me to hit the turns, I find it much less now.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

I've not pulled an inside tire for quite some time (20 thousand or so) as i learn how she handles, out side tire comes off a lot and no nanny! When that happens just more throttle and she comes back down

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Outside tire coming off the ground??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Outside tire coming off the ground??
    That defies the laws of physics.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or it means that something horrendous is about to happen...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Outside wheels don't come off the ground. It is impossible. Make an L with your hand and figure out your left and right. Maybe that will help with this inside out confusion.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post
    Outside wheels don't come off the ground. It is impossible. Make an L with your hand and figure out your left and right. Maybe that will help with this inside out confusion.
    I'm, Dyslexic, So I'm trying to understand this;
    If your making a very sharp Right turn, and your ''Left'' wheel comes off the ground,
    Is the Left wheel the Inside or is it the Outside wheel.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you are making a right hand turn, your right wheel is the inside wheel.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post
    If you are making a right hand turn, your right wheel is the inside wheel.
    So that means you can lift the out side wheel! [I always thought you can, I've done it.]
    Contrary to what some people are saying, [ i.e. OUTSIDE Wheel coming off the ground Laws of physics] Again if i am understanding the last few posts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Please post video

If you can pop your outside wheel, please post video. Otherwise...telling stories is done around a campfire.

Spyder Garage

Gravity is gravity and physics is physics. The only way to lift an outside wheel in a turn is to get both front wheels off the ground. The the forces of the turn are pushing the outside wheel to the outside, and into the groundas a result of the suspension engineering. Only a large bump or jump could interfere with those foerces and raise the outside wheel. In most cases that would cause the vehicle to flip...or at least careen out of control. For those that insist otherwise, I'd suggest less wobble weed before you ride.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    If I may...
    I think what he said was; that it'd take a pretty nasty CRASH!! to lift the outside wheel off the road... or dirt... or mailbox... or lawn... or whatever you hit that started the whole mess!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Scotty,
    If I may...
    I think what he said was; that it'd take a pretty nasty CRASH!! to lift the outside wheel off the road... or dirt... or mailbox... or lawn... or whatever you hit that started the whole mess!
    It would sure take something! A bad crash usually goes the other way, with the outside wheel catching and flipping you off the high side. Being hit would be a different story...or hitting something before that wheel lifted. At any rate, it sure won't happen during normal riding, no matter how spirited. The only exception I can think of would be if someone got scared in an easy corner, and suddenly overcorrected badly, steering the other way and turning the outside wheel into the inside wheel, suddendly. Just conjecture on my part, and certainly bad technique and not recommended. I'm no test dummy, so I don't wish to try it to see if it is possible.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    We were just on a fall colour ride and the fellow behind us was using a GoPro HD and was videoing the ride. We took a corner and he actually captured in one of the video frames our inside wheel coming off the ground. It is only the second time it has happened to us. Riding two up on an RTS. Have Elkas on the front.

The video he shot of the colour ride was really cool. Take a look ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=Cfop-hVt6gs#! )

WOW traveling at that speed I am surprised the wheel only came off the ground once!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That defies the laws of physics.
    No, really it doesn't! If the Spyder is upside down, the outside tire is off the ground!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    No, really it doesn't! If the Spyder is upside down, the outside tire is off the ground!
    Uh oh, looks like we're going to need that BajaRon rollbar option.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

That would be BOTH outside tires; right?

Spyder Garage

Default Front wheel in the air

I have done it too. Not a foot though. Haven't been able to replicate since.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder 777

Just a dumb question but no one else ask so I will. Did you lean your body into the turn? Took me a while to get used to it so was just wondering.

Spyder Garage

Stock Spyder can lift the inside wheel like crazy. Did it plenty of times on the RT I rode in my MSF class-- tight corners count more than speed, I could lift the wheel doing 15 mph around the cones.

With the swaybar on my RS, it takes more effort to lift a wheel; even more effort now that I have the Fox shocks. It's pretty rare that I lift the wheel, let alone engage the Nanny.

But yeah, it's a trike thing, it's perfectly normal, and it's why we have the Nanny in the first place. Nothing to fret about, just something to understand, expect and respect.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Just a dumb question but no one else ask so I will. Did you lean your body into the turn? Took me a while to get used to it so was just wondering.
    No such thing as a dumb question.

The answer: Yup. Lean into the turn. Gets more weight on the inside wheel.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

When I am booting along, I shift my arse over to the inside too, puts more weight on the inside and keeps the bike well planted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good question

Mr Bones,

that's a great question. It was the first one I asked myself. Had a become complacent? Lazy? Thinking that I could corner fast and tight without leaning? The adrenaline erased anything more than speculation. But, I ws under the impression prior to this that the Nanny would kick in and prevent this. After tightening my front shocks, it is riding much more stable, but I am also very aware of my leaning now when powering through the curves.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    When I am booting along, I shift my arse over to the inside too, puts more weight on the inside and keeps the bike well planted.
    I do the same. If I am taking a nice tight on or off ramp I will even put the knee out like the sport bike racers. The looks I get from cagers are priceless.

CAC