Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front wheel in the air

So... I'm riding as usual with my wife. 16 psi in front, 27 in rear. RSS with factory setting on Fox shocks. Everything stock. 2700 approximate miles on Spyder. We ride the mountains and we ride them hard. We are used to VSS kicking on in the curves often and until today Nanny has done a wonderful job of keeping all 3 wheels on the road.

Today, taking a hard left, our front left wheel came at least 1 foot off the asphalt. I immediately hit brakes and the wheel dropped back down. WTF?? I thought that it was impossible? Is it possible that my aggressive riding over the last 2500 miles has dampened the shocks so much that this becomes possible? We ride on, slower than before, and when we stop I adjust the front shocks. I see between 6 and 7 threads showing from the bottom. Go for a solo test drive. Seems stiffer. Wife on back and we continue onward following our friend on a '75 BMW R90S through the Pisgah forest up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Seems better. Rides better. But a little fear/uncertainty remains.

What happened? Does anyone know? Do I need to have my VSS checked or is this "normal"?
    I was under the impression that the Nanny was keeping all 3 down all the time.

Has this happened to you?

Spyder Garage

Easily possible to lift a front wheel, lots of us have done it, although a foot is pretty high. The nanny will retard the ignition and/or apply the appropriate braking if you are in danger of flipping. For me, it is much more likely in quick turns from a stop or a very slow speed. Not sure about the others out there.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

I used to lift a front wheel occasionally. Especially on the Dragon or The Devils Triangle.

I haven't done it this season. I attribute that to replacing the 2010 OEM shocks with a set of 2011 OEM ones.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The first time Erags lifted a tire was on the Blue Ridge Parkway near a scenic overlook. I honestly thought we were going to roll over. My response was similar to yours, with me screaming " I thought this couldn't do that" in my mike. My second comment to him was "If we are on YouTube tonight I am going to KILL you!" The "nanny" can be overcome with certain (shall we say, "aggressive") driving techniques; it's not foolproof...I figure lifting a tire is just a little warning to you to watch what you're doing in curves. I wonder if the road in the park wasn't banked a little, too, since the amount of tire elevation seemed excessive that first time it happened to us. It was the only time we've lifted a tire that I got scared ..the other times haven't seemed to be much off the ground.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

pretty easy to lift inside wheel.
    before i got evo's antisway bar, inside wheel used to come off the ground all the time while turning and i am pretty sure it was me letting go of throttle that brought it back to ground, not the spyder's vss or other safety features.
    it still happens here and there but only when i accelerate really hard out of the turns(not curves).
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Glad you came out all right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've had this happen but only when riding 1up. It's happened on tight turns and once in a round about. The round about scared the crop out of me because like you see fit a good ways off the pavement. When the wife is on the back I now slow it down a bit.

I did notice today that since I've installed Ron's anti sway bar that it kept us both flatter in the turns and it seems to work even harder to keep its flat with the added weight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have fun riding but don't forget " murphy's law"

Spyder Garage

Default Think of ot this way...................

Lifting a wheel on the Spyder is the same as scraping the pegs on a two wheeler.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is NOTHING built by man; that can't be outwitted by somebody who's really trying to end up as a statistic somewhere...
    It's actually an easy thing to do since the Nanny doesn't prevent the wheel from coming up; she can only react TO it.
    On the bright side... you found a limit, and survived the view over the edge!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by serf View Post
    I've had this happen but only when riding 1up. It's happened on tight turns and once in a round about. The round about scared the crop out of me because like you see fit a good ways off the pavement. When the wife is on the back I now slow it down a bit.

I did notice today that since I've installed Ron's anti sway bar that it kept us both flatter in the turns and it seems to work even harder to keep its flat with the added weight.
    I have never had any of the front wheels off the ground, the Nanny always kickin and slowed me down each time. After I had the BajaRon install his anti-bar swaybar I can go faster in turns and makes it more stable on the highway and the still the Nanny will not let the wheels lift on my Spyder RS-S.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh; She will... you just haven't found the limits yet!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I have never had any of the front wheels off the ground, the Nanny always kickin and slowed me down each time. After I had the BajaRon install his anti-bar swaybar I can go faster in turns and makes it more stable on the highway and the still the Nanny will not let the wheels lift on my Spyder RS-S. Mike
    Can I...?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Yep! Regularly on the Bowling roundabout (between Dumbarton & Clydebank) It's a riot!

Spyder Garage

We were just on a fall colour ride and the fellow behind us was using a GoPro HD and was videoing the ride. We took a corner and he actually captured in one of the video frames our inside wheel coming off the ground. It is only the second time it has happened to us. Riding two up on an RTS. Have Elkas on the front.

The video he shot of the colour ride was really cool. Take a look ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=Cfop-hVt6gs#! )

Spyder Wheel off Ground.jpg

Spyder Garage

My Nanny is very particular. She does not like tight cornering while I'm in the throttle.

I typically brake coming into the corner, ryde through the apex, then throttle out of the corner, pretty standard for spirited ryding, but when I come in too hot I definitely get scolded, and even worse if the angle is too sharp.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Not quite true

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I have never had any of the front wheels off the ground, the Nanny always kickin and slowed me down each time. After I had the BajaRon install his anti-bar swaybar I can go faster in turns and makes it more stable on the highway and the still the Nanny will not let the wheels lift on my Spyder RS-S.

Mike
    I have the Aussie Swaybar fitted, and yes you can go faster and the Spyder sits flatter, but the swaybar actually just means that Nanny will kick in a little later if you should happen to get it wrong. Like it was said earlier, Nanny doesn't PREVENT it only REACTS.
    I have managed to get an inside wheel up when 2-up and Nanny did kick in, but it certainly gave me a reality check, It happened when taking off from a set of lights and turning right and using a bit more throttle than required
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    My Nanny is very particular. She does not like tight cornering while I'm in the throttle.

I typically brake coming into the corner, ryde through the apex, then throttle out of the corner, pretty standard for spirited ryding, but when I come in too hot I definitely get scolded, and even worse if the angle is too sharp.
    Which beats the heck out of sliding along the pavement on your nose! She's doing her job. With good technique she is quite quiet, with poor technique, she is more active, with really bad technique she may not have enough reflexes or muscles to save your skin. She is not a cure-all, just an aid.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    The first time Erags lifted a tire was on the Blue Ridge Parkway near a scenic overlook. I honestly thought we were going to roll over. My response was similar to yours, with me screaming " I thought this couldn't do that" in my mike. My second comment to him was "If we are on YouTube tonight I am going to KILL you!" The "nanny" can be overcome with certain (shall we say, "aggressive") driving techniques; it's not foolproof...I figure lifting a tire is just a little warning to you to watch what you're doing in curves. I wonder if the road in the park wasn't banked a little, too, since the amount of tire elevation seemed excessive that first time it happened to us. It was the only time we've lifted a tire that I got scared ..the other times haven't seemed to be much off the ground.
    Lifting a tire on the Blue Ridge Parkway?? It is not intended for agressive riding, I have ridden it many times on daily runs and also the length of it from Cherokee to Waynesboro at the Skyline drive. I don't remember ever lifting a wheel or the nanny kicking in. The southern end from Ashville to Cherokee is the more twisty area, i am sure it could happen there if your not careful on those switchbacks.
    Your right about the parkway roads being banked or decending radius or something like that, it can be tricky and it is real easy to get a little over confident and those wierd curves can sneek up on you.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Which beats the heck out of sliding along the pavement on your nose! She's doing her job. With good technique she is quite quiet, with poor technique, she is more active, with really bad technique she may not have enough reflexes or muscles to save your skin. She is not a cure-all, just an aid.
    Haha! Thanks Scotty, once again, you strike right to the core,...it must be my poor technique,...

Ill try to stop sucking.

/sigh
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    Haha! Thanks Scotty, once again, you strike right to the core,...it must be my poor technique,...

Ill try to stop sucking.

/sigh
    I forgot the . We all do it. Riding the book line, entry speed, and body english is hard to do on every single turn...especially on an unknown road. At least Miss Nanny doesn't have a voice, to critique our techniques.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I forgot the . We all do it. Riding the book line, entry speed, and body english is hard to do on every single turn...especially on an unknown road. At least Miss Nanny doesn't have a voice, to critique our techniques.
    It does if my wife is riding on the back

Spyder Garage

I lift a front wheel fairly regularly. Nanny steps in to settle things down, I wish she was not so abrupt. She needs to learn to work with me, not just slap me down. Seriously though, riding the Spyder hard requires more work and skill than pushing hard on big cruiser, IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Default After I did it once or twice...

After I lifted a front wheel once or twice, I found the combinations of throttle, steering angle etc.. so now I can do it almost at will. Now that I know how to do it, I don't anymore if that makes sense. And yes, I took myself by surprise on the Parkway early on in my Pyder career.Meanwhile, it just sounds like you were just having fun.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That the Missus' job out back...