Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    They have 1 week till I go on vacation. Never drew a line in the sand before but I have now.
    If they have a good spark chaser and allow him the time needed to shoot the problem. He'll find it.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, they are working on it at a quick pace. Pulled relays, checked wires, draw testing etc. Basically, everything they hav done before. You never know, it might just work.

Spyder Garage

You may want to try an old trick we used on boats. Disconnect you negative battery cable connect test light to battery, connect other end of test light to negative cable. If there is a draw test light will light dim if it lights up disconnet one thing at a time until light goest out, when it goes out you found a draw it that circuit. Hope this helps.

Larry (wormie)

Spyder Garage

They have 1 week till I go on vacation. Never drew a line in the sand before but I have now.
    My Brother-In-Law is in the Navy and he said he could fix your problem... He just needed the address of you dealership. I was sure you wouldn't mind.

He didn't say what he was going to do... Guess he's going to make a phone call or something.

He said to tell you not to worry about your Spyder anymore.... Everything will be taken care of shortly...

Please! Don't thank me! Just a good buddy lending a helping hand. Afterall, what are friends for!

Oh, and my B-I-L said you might want to look for a new dealership... Great guy but he says that strangest things...

Last edited by BajaRon; 10-19-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My Brother-In-Law is in the Navy and he said he could fix your problem... He just needed the address of you dealership. I was sure you wouldn't mind.

He didn't say what he was going to do... Guess he's going to make a phone call or something.

He said to tell you not to worry about you Spyder anymore.... Everything will be taken care of shortly...

Please! Don't thank me! Just a good buddy lending a helping hand. Afterall, what are friends for!

Oh, and my B-I-L said you might want to look for a new dealership... Great guy but he says that strangest things...

That was great, Thank You Ron
    Is he accurate? I live real close to the dealership. Maybe time to go to the mountains. LOL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Back to the dealership today. They sure do have a nice waiting room. Free coffee and many bikes to look over.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back to the dealership today. They sure do have a nice waiting room. Free coffee and many bikes to look over.
    Look for Spyders only...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Look for Spyders only...
    Doc, they have 3RTS, 2RSS and 1 RS right outside the waiting room. I have been sitting on all of them. HMMMMM, auto-shift sounds good.

Spyder Garage

Electrical gremlins can be tough. They are very good at hiding from the tech and coming out as soon as you leave the shop. Here is what I'm afraid of. You sell it, taking a beating as you say, the guy takes it somewhere, they find the $3.00 gremlin and he's sailing home free! I've seen it happen!

You endure the misery, he reaps the benefits.

Again, here's hoping you get that sucker this time. We're all rooting for the good guys to win this one!

BINGO on that.... i gave my son-in-law my SEARS lawn tractor, because after ten years, it would nolonger start - DEAD AS ROAD KILL, as they say... i went out and bought a new JOHN DEERE, and my son-in-law comes back to me and said he found a burnt our fuse, replaced it for $0.40 and it runs like new.... i crawled all over that thing and never saw a fuse, but i guess my lose is his gain...

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

last winter my RT stood 5 month without a batterie tender .. startet without any problems .. what are you doing over there
    29.000 kms now ...

greetings from Austria
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

arntufun

Hypotheticly speaking if this was not under waranty........

Couldn't this be cured easily if you installed a toggle switch off the battery and ran it up to the dash to mount it before power ever reached the harness ????? Sure your clock would never be right, but that the only downfall I see with this method.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The MOST unreliable POS I have ever owned

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

Couldn't this be cured easily if you installed a toggle switch off the battery and ran it up to the dash to mount it before power ever reached the harness ????? Sure your clock would never be right, but that the only downfall I see with this method.
    Might not save the user settings either.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And it shouldn't have to come to that anyway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And it shouldn't have to come to that anyway!
    Thank You Bob. I could not agree more.

Spyder Garage

Not that easy, and really not the way to go after the problem.

You would need much more than just a simple toggle switch to carry the amperage required.You'd need a heavy duty relay that actually carried the load and the toggle switch would work the relay.

Bottom line is, there is something very wrong here and they just need to fix it. I'm sure it's a bear because, like I've said before, it's s gremlin hiding somewhere and there are a lot of places to hide. He only comes out when no one is looking. Gremilns would not be gremlins if they were stupid!

I'm rooting for BRP, the dealership and Dave on this one!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

arntufun

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear about what I was trying to say.

I'm not saying Dave should do this, I was trying to say (Hypotheticly) if the Spyder was out of warranty and I had no money to keep sending it to the dealer I would install a toggle switch even if I needed a relay to make it work. I understand that he should not settle for this Goldburg fix since his Spyder is still covered under warranty. Sorry, if I confused anyone with what I was trying to say.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery drain?

Is every load on the battery fused? With the bike shut off, pull the fuses one at a time. Insert a suitable amp meter across the gap where each fuse is plugged in. If it shows a current draw, there's your problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not that easy, and really not the way to go after the problem.

You would need much more than just a simple toggle switch to carry the amperage required.You'd need a heavy duty relay that actually carried the load and the toggle switch would work the relay.

Bottom line is, there is something very wrong here and they just need to fix it. I'm sure it's a bear because, like I've said before, it's s gremlin hiding somewhere and there are a lot of places to hide. He only comes out when no one is looking. Gremilns would not be gremlins if they were stupid!

I'm rooting for BRP, the dealership and Dave on this one!

Dave01,
    You need a gremlin bell. If you PM me an address, I have one I will send you.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear about what I was trying to say.

I'm not saying Dave should do this, I was trying to say (Hypotheticly) if the Spyder was out of warranty and I had no money to keep sending it to the dealer I would install a toggle switch even if I needed a relay to make it work. I understand that he should not settle for this Goldburg fix since his Spyder is still covered under warranty. Sorry, if I confused anyone with what I was trying to say.
    What would really be needed would be a battery disconnect switch, like those required on race cars.

The RT has a certain amount of necessary parasitic loss, so it would not like a complete disconnect. It is best to find the cause of the excess parasitic loss or battery discharge, and cure it...not matter if it is on warranty or not.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Dave01,
    You need a gremlin bell. If you PM me an address, I have one I will send you.
    i HAVE ONE, mAYBE i NEED 2 OF THEM. lol

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Is every load on the battery fused? With the bike shut off, pull the fuses one at a time. Insert a suitable amp meter across the gap where each fuse is plugged in. If it shows a current draw, there's your problem.
    Been done. The big issue is it doesnt do it all of the time. Not sure if it is heat related, vibration related etc.

Spyder Garage

Been done. The big issue is it doesnt do it all of the time. Not sure if it is heat related, vibration related etc.
    Go back to the Car wash! Bear with me I'm just joking. I can certainly understand and appreciate your frustration. You have way more patience than I. Patience is a virtue. Have any wiring harnesses been disturbed in such a way that there could be insulation rub through?
    Last edited by OldDog; 10-19-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

I suspected that was the case. Pulling the fuse or relay may even clear the problem (like a sticking relay) and make it harder to locate. I think at this point replacing all the relays would be a good place to start, especially the load-shedding relay.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Are they sure that your spyder isnt over charging,something is damaging your batterys and overcharging sure will

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Are they sure that your spyder isnt over charging,something is damaging your batterys and overcharging sure will
    It is supposed to be charging the correct amount. Lots of checking, re-checking of parts and I am not sure but I think I saw a crystal ball in the corner and they were all sitting around it at lunch.