Thread: Brake Failure

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure

A couple months back I had posted here that I was getting an intermittent brake failure light, someone said that I should check the master cylinder fluid level as the Spyder is sensitive to any low levels. I did top off the master cylinder and the problem seemed to go away. I took Spydie out for a ride yesterday, probably the last ride of the year, came to a stop light and as I applied the brakes the brake pedal travel (when depressed) suddenly increased significantly, I did come to a stop, but the brake light came on and the display starting flashing "Brake Failure" in orange. I nursed it home and looked it over, I didn't see any leaks and all the lines seem solid and in place. Any thoughts on what might be going on would be appreciated. On a side note, I did have the rear wheel pulled and sent out for chroming this past spring, just seems a little coincidental to me that now I'm having a brake problem. The Spyder is a 2010 with 13K miles.

Spyder Garage

Could need bleeding, or could have a failure of the master cylinder or a brake caliper...or even the VCM. You need to get it to a dealer ASAP. In a hard stop, the ABS system can make the brake pedal drop, as the VCM takes over, but there should be no brake failure message. It could still be nothing more than low brake fluid, but this is no place for guesswork. It should be evealuated by a good tech, for your own safety.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Could need bleeding, or could have a failure of the master cylinder or a brake caliper...or even the VCM. You need to get it to a dealer ASAP. In a hard stop, the ABS system can make the brake pedal drop, as the VCM takes over, but there should be no brake failure message. It could still be nothing more than low brake fluid, but this is no place for guesswork. It should be evealuated by a good tech, for your own safety.

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully the weather will cooperate for me to take it in before it's too cold. May just have to wait till spring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, hopefully the weather will cooperate for me to take it in before it's too cold. May just have to wait till spring.
    This happened to me and they bled and installed new fluid, installed new break pads and rotors and the light still came on after ryding for a while. Dealer called BRP and they said change out master cylinder. It came in Saturday but I am on vacation so I will get it done when I get home. Hope this takes care of it. 2010 RT with 36,000 miles. Hope yours works out also.