Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry Issues with batteries, when will it end

I am officially done with the Spyders. My RT, which many of you know has been a source of headaches for me for over 2 years, is back to the battery drain stuff again. It was at the shop for 45 days, not being ridden and started just fine when I picked it up. Today, dead as roadkill. BRP, if you guys follow any of these posts, chime in with any more suggestions. Just had the big service done, by the book with valve checks and everything. It will be listed soon and I will take a beating on the price, but So be it.
    Last edited by dave01; 10-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Have you or had someone ever lift the negative terminal of the battery and insert and ammeter to get a quiescent current?

Don't try to start it with ammeter inserted because depending on the ammeter you might fry it.
    Was just going to suggest the same thing... I'd wait until the 40 minute throttle body thing is done as well... When it should be just sitting there static.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the electrical stuff going on with your . You had mentioned in a previous post that you have lots of lighting accessories installed on your . Is there a possibility that some of that may be causing the problem with electrical drain?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: The MOST unreliable POS I have ever owned

All have been disconnected for almost a year, since more issues surfaced. Its been in the shop more than out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that this has been such an ordeal for you...
    I haven't read back through the previous posts about this; have you been in touch with BRP?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question

Dave, in the post below you said that the battery went dead even with the battery tender on for several days while not using the Spyder. Sure sounds like a major drain that should be easily detected - unless it's a floating short. Even then, as often as it is happening the cause should be able to be located.

Notice you had picked it up from the shop on the 10 th of Oct. How long had it set idle between rides this time and was the tender on?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41570-Here-we-go-AGAIN

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Dave, in the post below you said that the battery went dead even with the battery tender on for several days while not using the Spyder. Sure sounds like a major drain that should be easily detected - unless it's a floating short. Even then, as often as it is happening the cause should be able to be located.

Notice you had picked it up from the shop on the 10 th of Oct. How long had it set idle between rides this time and was the tender on?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41570-Here-we-go-AGAIN
    It was in the shop for the big service and they stored it for me while I was gone. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE to have to keep any vehicle on a battery tender when not in use for less than a month. My Busa, truck, generator and quad fire right up. The Busa has the second battery since 2001. It has been in the shop more than i have been able to ride it. Only 15K miles since 2010 and I should have many more. Talked with BRP a little while ago. Its on battery 5 since 2010 and I told them they get one LAST try to resolve the issue. Dave, in customer service was very nice and understanding as to why I was frustrated. Lets see what comes of it this time, but my faith in MY RT is gone.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that this has been such an ordeal for you...
    I haven't read back through the previous posts about this; have you been in touch with BRP?
    Bob, yes, many times with Carlo and now with Dave. Its my last chance to get it right. Why keep something that you cant ride, right?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Have you or had someone ever lift the negative terminal of the battery and insert and ammeter to get a quiescent current?

Don't try to start it with ammeter inserted because depending on the ammeter you might fry it.
    Yep, done at the shop and thats when they thought it was the radio module. Mine is just jinxed. LOL Or posessed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    It was in the shop for the big service and they stored it for me while I was gone. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE to have to keep any vehicle on a battery tender when not in use for less than a month. My Busa, truck, generator and quad fire right up. The Busa has the second battery since 2001. It has been in the shop more than i have been able to ride it. Only 15K miles since 2010 and I should have many more. Talked with BRP a little while ago. Its on battery 5 since 2010 and I told them they get one LAST try to resolve the issue. Dave, in customer service was very nice and understanding as to why I was frustrated. Lets see what comes of it this time, but my faith in MY RT is gone.
    Dave, understand your frustration and wasn't trying to elevate it with my questions. From what you have posted about your dealer. You sound very pleased with them but, after all you have been through, I question just how thorough they have been in their efforts to isolate the cause. If, they have been thorough? Hope they find the cause this time. It's pretty obvious throwing batteries at it isn't the answer. Guess that's where I was going with my post.

All the best to ya

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Dave, understand your frustration and wasn't trying to elevate it with my questions. From what you have posted about your dealer. You sound very pleased with them but, after all you have been through, I question just how thorough they have been in their efforts to isolate the cause. If, they have been thorough? Hope they find the cause this time. It's pretty obvious throwing batteries at it isn't the answer. Guess that's where I was going with my post.

All the best to ya
    You had a great question. Yep, its a battery magnet. I have a great dealer and thier service department is awesome. Last time in with the battery issue, they had the tech's on the phone from BRP trying to figure it out. I really like my spyder when its reliable and see many on the street that run great day after day, but mine is a very early build, number 178 before the Premier ones came out. Maybe thats where my issues all come from? Thanks to all for the questions. Right now, I am willing to check anything before it goes back on the flatbed to the shop.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEMON LAWS

Does your stste have LEMON LAWS ???? if so use it..
    Good Luck
    Dave
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    I am officially done with the Spyders. My RT, which many of you know has been a source of headaches for me for over 2 years, is back to the battery drain stuff again. It was at the shop for 45 days, not being ridden and started just fine when I picked it up. Today, dead as roadkill. BRP, if you guys follow any of these posts, chime in with any more suggestions. Just had the big service done, by the book with valve checks and everything. It will be listed soon and I will take a beating on the price, but So be it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Does your stste have LEMON LAWS ???? if so use it..
    Good Luck
    Dave
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Nope, no Lemon Law here in Fl. Darn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, done at the shop and thats when they thought it was the radio module. Mine is just jinxed. LOL Or posessed.
    Did they test it after the module was replaced? If there is a drain, it should be somewhat easy to track down, if there is no drain, then have they tested the battery?
    I also apologize, as you have probably answered all these questions in other threads. I'm just shooting from the hip, trying to help out.

Spyder Garage

Not really much help but only to say, really sorry for all your issues. We all hate to lose you. Here is hoping that whatever it is, BRP/Dealership can find it and kill it this time.

My humble guess is that you've had a single issue all along, not multiple issues. Just the same gremlin coming back each time because it has not been found. Find that little guy and you could be home free. That's what I'm hoping will happen.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not really much help but only to say, really sorry for all your issues. We all hate to lose you. Here is hoping that whatever it is, BRP/Dealership can find it and kill it this time.

My humble guess is that you've had a single issue all along, not multiple issues. Just the same gremlin coming back each time because it has not been found. Find that little guy and you could be home free. That's what I'm hoping will happen.
    Gonna go on a Gremlin hunt. Any idea which caliber is best to hunt them with?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Did they test it after the module was replaced? If there is a drain, it should be somewhat easy to track down, if there is no drain, then have they tested the battery?
    I also apologize, as you have probably answered all these questions in other threads. I'm just shooting from the hip, trying to help out.
    No apology needed. Glad for the questions. I and the dealer could have missed something. Was tested after the module was replaced, no drain. Battery was replaced at that time too and then again 2 months later.

Spyder Garage

Gonna go on a Gremlin hunt. Any idea which caliber is best to hunt them with?
    Electrical gremlins can be tough. They are very good at hiding from the tech and coming out as soon as you leave the shop. Here is what I'm afraid of. You sell it, taking a beating as you say, the guy takes it somewhere, they find the $3.00 gremlin and he's sailing home free! I've seen it happen!

You endure the misery, he reaps the benefits.

Again, here's hoping you get that sucker this time. We're all rooting for the good guys to win this one!

arntufun

Florida Express

Doc---- Multiple Blown Engines
    Forest---- Multiple bad Throttle bodies
    Dave---- Multiple Dead Batteries

Nobody in Florida is amune.........I heard another company makes cool looking reverse trikes and if you traded the Spyder and your Busa, you might be able to get one.
    Last edited by arntufun; 10-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Florida Express

Doc---- Multiple Blown Engines
    Forest---- Multiple bad Throttle bodies
    Dave---- Multiple Dead Batteries

Nobody in Florida is amune.........I heard another company makes cool looking reverse trikes and if you traded the Spyder and your Busa, you might be able to get one.
    You forgot the 4 DPS units in my RS, before the RT. LOL
    We must be hard on vehicles down here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ron, not sure if you remember but thats what happened with my RS. Randy bought it and had no issues for almost a year. Sold it and the new owner had DPS issues. I am willing to give BRP one more try, but after that, my options will be limited. I use the RT for my main transportation when I am home and hate not having it. Looks like BRP wont be the only ones not making it to Biketoberfest this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Electrical gremlins can be tough. They are very good at hiding from the tech and coming out as soon as you leave the shop. Here is what I'm afraid of. You sell it, taking a beating as you say, the guy takes it somewhere, they find the $3.00 gremlin and he's sailing home free! I've seen it happen!

You endure the misery, he reaps the benefits.

Again, here's hoping you get that sucker this time. We're all rooting for the good guys to win this one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear about the electrical stuff going on with your . You had mentioned in a previous post that you have lots of lighting accessories installed on your . Is there a possibility that some of that may be causing the problem with electrical drain?

well, if you removed all of them....

it sounds like something is leaking the charge, whether its a loose ground, or a frayed wire....

as others have said, electrical stuff should be relatively easy to isolate if they are checking all the harness connections
    Last edited by lookerjdc; 10-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Mr Orange may be on to something here... The harness itself has lots of room for disaster contained within it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that Mr Orange may be on to something here... The harness itself has lots of room for disaster contained within it...
    You guys may be right. I am over it now and its up to BRP to make it correct. Goes in the shop on Tuesday and I have a limit on the time I have for it to be corrected. I feel that with the number of times it has been in, they have used up almost all of the time to correct it. But, lets give them the benefit and one more try.

Spyder Garage

Ron, not sure if you remember but thats what happened with my RS. Randy bought it and had no issues for almost a year. Sold it and the new owner had DPS issues. I am willing to give BRP one more try, but after that, my options will be limited. I use the RT for my main transportation when I am home and hate not having it. Looks like BRP wont be the only ones not making it to Biketoberfest this year.
    Not trying to talk you into anything Dave, just saying we are pulling for you. No one will accuse you of giving up too soon. You've been taking it on the chin with a vehicle that is supposed to bring you satisfaction of ownership.

Maybe this cheerleader will help! Better than a gremlin at least!