Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Strobes added to 2012 RSS Oct 7th

I've been wanting to add strobes to most vehicle I've ever owned. This 2012 Can-Am Spyder RSS is not an exception.

Picture 1: bottom cover taken out by unscrewing 7 torx screws at the bottom, run a 4-conductor wire in frame from front to back
    photo 01.jpg

Picture 2: fit the position where the strobe would be mounted. I've bought 4 Hornet 8 in Blue and White from Extreme Tactical Dynamics. Mark where the 2 screws that hold the light to the side panel
    photo 02.jpg

Picture 3: drill the first holes where the screw mark were made. You don't have to drill the hole, but you'll risk the plastic to crack as you drive the screw in
    photo 03.jpg

Picture 4: the second hold was drilled. Repeat the same steps as in pictures 2 - 4
    photo 04.jpg

Picture 5: shows the 4-conductor wire thru the frame (back)
    photo 05.jpg
    Last edited by xpbqn; 10-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picture 6: shows the 4-conductor wire thru the frame (front)
    photo 06.jpg

Picture 7 - 8: mount the light cover on the side panel to drill the hole for the wires to come thru
    photo 07.jpgphoto 08.jpg

Picture 9 - 10: now that the wires can come thru, mount the light on the side panel. You'll see there are 4 LEDs, the two with yellow-ish are producing white light, the other two produce blue. Repeat the steps as in pictures 7 - 10
    photo 09.jpgphoto 10.jpg
    Last edited by xpbqn; 10-08-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picture 11: I want to have it shown clearly from looking behind the bike as well. So, since I had 2 pairs bought, I want to put on the rear fender as well.
    photo 11.jpg

Picture 12 - 13: test fit and mounted

photo 12.jpgphoto 13.jpg
    Last edited by xpbqn; 10-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picture 14 - 16: these pictures show the 2 strobes on the rear side panel and 2 strobes on the rear fender
    photo 14.jpgphoto 15.jpgphoto 16.jpg

Time to put back the plastic cover at the bottom, on top of the rear wheel.

Picture 17: at the bottom left of the console, I mount a little switch that is constantly power. I didn't take any pictures of this process, but if anyone wants to see how, let me know, I'll get some.
    photo 17.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picture 18 - 22: Strobes are functioning the way I wanted them to. Looking on the side and back.
    photo 18.jpgphoto 19.jpgphoto 20.jpgphoto 21.jpgphoto 22.jpg

I'm waiting on two different sets of strobe to have the front done as well. At front, there will be 2 mounting on the mirror arms. One side is white, the other is blue. I was trying to get this pair (back and side) installed on the mirror arm, but it's a little longer than the arm gives.

Hope y'all enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Don't ride in Michigan with them. The blue is illegal and strobes are illegal. You can even get arrested for impersonating a police officer with strobes here.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes sir, I'm well aware of legality of strobes. Basically you can't have a combination of white-blue, white-red, blue-red and you can't turn them on in public unless you are law enforcement or on some sort of duty (construction, tow service, maintenance crew, etc...). My intention is not to impersonate anyone, just having fun.

Cheer on...