Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Body Question

With all the posting about throttle body issues, I am confused. Is the issue resolved on the 2013 models? Can someone post BRP's resolution history? I believe there have been three upgrades. The most recent fixes the problem for good. Is that correct? What does the resolution entail, total replacement of the throttle body? Ignorant minds want to know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; nobody knows the answer to that question since there are no 2013s on the road yet...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Actually; nobody knows the answer to that question since there are no 2013s on the road yet...
    I guess the better way to put it is " Is it to be assumed that the throttle body issue is resolved with the 2013 model year?" Are they using the same throttle body as in the previous years? Did the upgrades resolve the issue or does that remain to be seen?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's not true Bob, Saw one on Saturday when we were riding and stopped at the local Tim hortons coffee shop. Lady had one that she was testing for a dealer, maybe a family member, but she Defenitely had one. We even took turns sitting on it, very nice machine. Was good to check one out up close!
    Last edited by Netminder; 10-09-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These posts have me thinking. As we know, there have been many throttle body replacements in the last three years on the RTs (Does the GS, etc have TBs?) Perhaps up grades or design changes have been made and my recent replacement in Sept. may be an improved unit. Just wondering....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    These posts have me thinking. As we know, there have been many throttle body replacements in the last three years on the RTs (Does the GS, etc have TBs?) Perhaps up grades or design changes have been made and my recent replacement in Sept. may be an improved unit. Just wondering....

All Spyders have throttle body's, from 08 up to the present day,
    There were some changes to them over the years.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I believe the throttle body issues are software related and BRP is inching up on the problem ie getting closer to a fix with each upgrade. There do seem to be less and less problems with each model year but I'd bet there will still be a few in the 2013's. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Spyder Garage

I just replaced the throttle body holder. Its rubber and was cracked at the bolts on the right side. I noticed hairline cracks about a year ago when I replaced the air box with the Kewlmetal performance air kit. Performance started to decline and I was hearing what sounded like the loss of compression. The tech started it and said he heard something in the throttle body. Checking it out, he sprayed some brake cleaner on it and we could smell it coming out of the exhaust. Replacing it, its fine today.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

im stumped what problem with the t/b point me in the direction of the posts cheers ,, but lets hope that the problems with all the other models are finally ironed out in the 2013 mods

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not heard of any issues with the 2012 TBs. So they may have fixed it already.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    That's not true Bob, Saw one on Saturday when we were riding and stopped at the local Tom hortons coffee shop. Lady had one that she was testing for a dealer,
    If she's just "testing", I'd have to think that there's not enough miles on it yet to give any indications...

Spyder Garage

Grandpa: the '12's have some problems too. A friend with an RT SE had about 3K on hers when it went up. That was early this spring and she'd had no problems since. I'm holding my breath on my '11, hoping the 3rd update solved the prob.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If she's just "testing", I'd have to think that there's not enough miles on it yet to give any indications...
    But they are out there!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Got my 2010 RT SM5 back from the dealer Saturday. It was in the shop for two weeks. I trailered it in to the dealership. Bike had shut down and wouldn't even turn over. Come to find out the stater was gone needed to be replaced. Warrantee ran out two months ago. Now we start to do little things, New rear tire(second one) Bike has 37000 miles. While changing tire find bearings are bad(second set) also brake pads need replacing. They test drove it and not running right. Check it out and throttle body needs to be replaced(second one). Good news BRP will warrantee the TB. Another test drive and find out the front rotors are bad. One has to be replaced, the other borderline. At $245.00 each you have to think about it but not for long. Safety issue. Replace them both. I forgot to mention that they had to pull the engine out to work on the rear cylinder. Rings were bad so had to be replaced. Air suspention needs to replaced losing pressure overnight. Only $100.00 for new cylinder but have to remove most of the rear end to replace. My butt will have to put up with the pounding for now. $3791.10 later I have it home. Now can't afford the gas to run it. Life is beautiful. At least my dearler is quick for diagnosing problems and repairs.
    Last edited by rogerb; 10-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And I thought that mine was the only luck that had gone sour...
    On the bright side; you're all set for some serious riding!