Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Very nice good luck with her

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering Comparison

Motogordo, now that you have time on both the Spyder and a traditional trike, how would you compare the steering of the two?

I have never ridden a traditional trike but have friends who have and they describe the trike steering as very heavy, so much so that doing a quick emergency avoidance maneuver is impossible, or nearly so, and very different than our Spyders.

I would be very interested in your assessment. Thanks.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage

Default WINGDINGS

So you gonna go to a WingDing next year?
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    Motogordo, now that you have time on both the Spyder and a traditional trike, how would you compare the steering of the two?

I have never ridden a traditional trike but have friends who have and they describe the trike steering as very heavy, so much so that doing a quick emergency avoidance maneuver is impossible, or nearly so, and very different than our Spyders.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    I had a Spyder for 3 years, And now a Tri Glide for just over a year, Yes the steering is much heavier than the Spyder's, But you get used to it . I did put a 1 and 1/4 inch lift on the back air suspension and that simple 1/2 hour job lighten it quite a bit. If you need power steering for one reason or another then' a Tri Glide isn't for you. Also i haven't had any problems with emergency maneuver's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    My Wing has a 4.5 degree triple tree on it and at very low speeds the Spyder is easier...after 30-40 mph, not much difference....I can make an emergency avoidance maneuver easily with either scoot. I did one today on my Spyder missing a large piece of wood in the road and on my Wing two weeks ago avoiding a deer....no problem....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to both of you for your input on the steering of the two machines. It seems that while the Spyder is the better steering of the two it isn't a deal breaker either way.

Btw, especially since it's Veterans Day tomorrow, George thank you for your service to our country.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    Last edited by liketoride2; 11-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Thanks to both of you for your input on the steering of the two machines. It seems that while the Spyder is the better steering of the two it isn't a deal breaker either way.

Btw, especially since it's Veterans Day tomorrow, George thank you for your service to our country.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    Mike, the "rake" kit (actually it changes the trail) makes the Wing easier to steer. The steering is not a deal breaker. I like both my scoots and kept both...If on a long trip, I take my Wing. Just my personal preferrence....

I was in the USAF 29 years. They sent me to college, a masters degree along with a commission. I got to travel and live in several counties (ours is the BEST!) and enjoyed my service. (80% good, 20% bad).

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Mike, the "rake" kit (actually it changes the trail) makes the Wing easier to steer. The steering is not a deal breaker. I like both my scoots and kept both...If on a long trip, I take my Wing. Just my personal preferrence....

I was in the USAF 29 years. They sent me to college, a masters degree along with a commission. I got to travel and live in several counties (ours is the BEST!) and enjoyed my service. (80% good, 20% bad).

Yes, I believe our country is the best and people like you have helped make it that way. I'm currently reading a biography of George Washington and appreciate anew the tremendous sacrifices made by the men and women who have served in our military services, right from the founding of our country and even before since the Revolutionary War actually began before our Declaration of Independence. Our founding fathers were great men who changed the course of history for humankind forever, and it is an honor to have followed in their footsteps as you have.

If your travels ever take you to south eastern Idaho please contact me and stop by our home here (there is contact information on my website). Perhaps we can ride our three wheelers and I can show you some of our local spectacular scenery.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrder.net

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the invitation. I will keep the information. However, it makes me nervous if I leave Texas...ha ha

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Idaho is a wonderful place to ride - while it can be hot in the summer (100 or so) high humidity is 40%, and other than I84, traffic is minimal (barring the occasional tractor). It has two distinct riding portions, Texas like (flat, hot, dusty), and green, cool, and lots of twisties. Bugs are usually minimal too - you can actually see though a windshield after a summer evening ride in Idaho….. It is also a "fur piece" from the Left Coast too…
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I had two 2012 RT limited Spiders, the first one had electrical issues at 200 miles I was offered my money back or a replacement. I took the replacement. The second one was great with no problems... We were planning on moving and I put the Spyder for sale, we ended up not moving and I decided to give up riding after 43 years, 42 on two wheels. I did loose confidence in my RT due to lack of dealership training across the country, too may electronics on the RT and felt uncomfortable even on 2 day trips. I was afraid I would end up stranded and no reputable dealers close by.

I have since purchased a 2012 GL1800 trike, the rear end went out at 260 miles because no one, the manufacture or the installer checked the oil, it had none, could have gotten me killed at 70MPH on the interstate and the rear end locks up. There were lot's of other issues with it, not the bike but the trike kit, it was purchased back.

I now have another GL1800 CSC Viper that I am very happy with. The GL1800 is a really good bike, but of course it was made for two wheels not three. The Spyder is designed for 3 wheels by Can-Am a very big plus. The Harley Tri-Glide is also build by the MO CO.

For me and my wife the CSC is more comfortable and the GL1800 is a great touring bike, easy to maintain and cheap to keep.

What I miss the most is all he great folks on this board, best people in the world.... May have to buy me an RS!
    'Bikeless'

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear of no oil in the differential...criminal! My Wing has 65K on it and runs very well. No problems in all of these years. I love both machines and ride both...If on a long trip, I take the Wing...I am more comfortable that it will get me there and back. However after a new ECM and throttle body, my Spyder seems to run better...maybe I just want it to...You will love the CSC...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been riding BR1 nearly all the time. I want to see if it will run okay after the ECM and throttle body repalcements. It seems to run better since these items were installed. I am enjoying BR1 more now and it is a push between him and Punkin'. Both are keepers. As you know, I was very dissapointed with BR1 for a long time, but he is winning me over. Took a nice ride today with my friends and he ran very well....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

It's great to hear that you're gaining more confidence in BR1, I hope that continues.You deserve that!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    It's great to hear that you're gaining more confidence in BR1, I hope that continues.You deserve that!
    Oh, yes, me too. My confidence grows daily. It is a well thought out machine, but the more complicated it is, the more things to go wrong. I am pleased at the present. I am very used to my error free Wing...12 years and never been in the shop other than normal maintenance.

What part of Illinois, I was born and raised in Southern Illinows, Benton....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Exit #19 on I-80, then 11 miles So. on Rt.82 to Cambridge.