Spyder Garage

Default ST Throttle Body

I'm seriously considering buying an ST. However I'm a little worried that they use the same throttle bodies as the RT and those have been troublesome. Have the RT throttle body issues been resolved?

Spyder Garage

I think that only time will tell. The latest (3rd version) update is supposed to be the cure. Unfortunately, many owners have not had that update yet, so some throttle bodies will continue to fail. I also suspect that there are some that were damaged previously, but not enough to throw a code, which may subsequently fail, despite having the latest update. I would urge all owners to check with their dealers and have their update status checked to bring their firmware up to date. The latest update has some other fixes, too, including the new shifting logic for the SE.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's hope that is the magic that we've all been waiting for!
    The natives might start getting restless if it isn't!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Does the new shifting logic apply to all models? Is this to resolve the problem with clutch slip at under 3500 RPM?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Does the new shifting logic apply to all models? Is this to resolve the problem with clutch slip at under 3500 RPM?
    The shift point has changed for all SE's to reduce clutch slippage under load. The new clutch with added plates and oil jet is for all makes and models and will also reduce heat and slippage. This update can be applied to all Spyder's from 2008 on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The shift point has changed for all SE's to reduce clutch slippage under load. The new clutch with added plates and oil jet is for all makes and models and will also reduce heat and slippage. This update can be applied to all Spyder's from 2008 on.
    That's great news. Is this going to be handled as just a service bulletin to dealers or are owners going to receive a letter? I'd like to get the software change applied to my bike to reduce the chance of clutch wear.

Spyder Garage

That's great news. Is this going to be handled as just a service bulletin to dealers or are owners going to receive a letter? I'd like to get the software change applied to my bike to reduce the chance of clutch wear.
    I'm not sure how they will handle the software update, most likely it will be done at a service when BUDS is hooked up. I'm not even sure if it's a required update or not.

The clutch is not a recall so it will not be replace unless you want to pay to have it replaced. This is just an evolution of the product.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont! I'll check with my guy regarding this update over the weekend...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'm not sure how they will handle the software update, most likely it will be done at a service when BUDS is hooked up. I'm not even sure if it's a required update or not.

The clutch is not a recall so it will not be replace unless you want to pay to have it replaced. This is just an evolution of the product.
    Thank you for the info. I certainly didn't expect the clutch to be a recall but I was hoping the software update would be offered at no charge. My local BRP dealer charges $50 just to attach the BUDS cable and then charges a minimum of one hour's labor from there. So the software update change would cost me about $115.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure the updates were installed during my 600 miles check two weeks ago on my 2012 RT SE5 .Thanks a lot Lamonster for all your time. My confidence of owning my Spyder is greater everyday. I feel so bless to be part of the "Spyder Rider". Lets all ride safely and enjoy life to the fullest. God Bless Jerry

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My software was updated as part of an oil change with no additional charges. Anyone know how much the new clutch retrofit would cost?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

arntufun

Thank you for the info. I certainly didn't expect the clutch to be a recall but I was hoping the software update would be offered at no charge. My local BRP dealer charges $50 just to attach the BUDS cable and then charges a minimum of one hour's labor from there. So the software update change would cost me about $115.

My dealer hooked mine up for and reset the steering angle sensors for free. It only took a couple of minutes to do. Sorry, your dealer is so greedy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    My dealer hooked mine up for and reset the steering angle sensors for free. It only took a couple of minutes to do. Sorry, your dealer is so greedy.
    Greedy is one of his nicer traits!

I'll probably have to head over to Malone, NY to get it updated. The BRP dealer there is great.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

these updates that you are all talking about are these the ones that brp came out with at the owners event?

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had two Throttle Body faults within two months of getting my RT. A new update, the latest, came out and was installed and no more faults since.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greedy is one of his nicer traits!

I'll probably have to head over to Malone, NY to get it updated. The BRP dealer there is great.
    Who's the dealer up near Plattsburgh; they've got a pretty good reputation as well...
    Maybe Mike can chime in with a name and phone number??