MetroAsian

Default Wheels off the Ground?

Anyone manage to lift a wheel off the ground on the Spyder? I was taking a sharp right turn in my neighborhood at 40 mph and lifted the right wheel off the ground. Not sure if the stability / traction control kicked in or not. I guess the stability control on the spyder is not failsafe. Just wanted to push the spyder to the extreme before finding out the hard way by on a twistie road. Looks like the the spyder could potentially roll over still.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Wheels off the Ground?

Mr. Metro:

I have had one wheel or another on the front off the ground many times, during the many test drives I have taken (11). You can fool the computer momentarily if you make a sharp right/left hand turn at speed. Providing you don't hold it there for any length of time the computer won't shut it down long enough for you to notice. Once you get used to it you will be able to get the computer to shut it down so that you would feel it...Shuddering as it makes you drop the wheel to the ground. :bigthumbsup:

2faston3

Still waiting for mine...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh wow..... and in all the demo videos and promo material they make it look so failsafe! :

MetroAsian

that's exactly what I thought matusky....I looked like the rider out of control in the demo video with the traction control off.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAsian
    that's exactly what I thought matusky....I looked like the rider out of control in the demo video with the traction control off.
    Going 40mph? ooooh, that's not good...... what BRP is saying about 'stability in motion' 'open road feeling but as safe as a convertible sports car' ........ is this hype or is this thing really just a souped up quad that's missing a wheel?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

From page #24 of your owners manual.... :

The three-wheeled “Y” configuration
    provides greater low-speed stability
    than a motorcycle. However, it is
    not as stable as a four-wheeled vehicle
    such as an automobile. Driving
    aid technologies, like the electronic
    Vehicle Stability System (VSS), help
    maintain stability during maneuvers,
    but you can still lose control, tip or roll
    the vehicle due to extreme maneuvers
    (such as hard turns at high speeds) or
    striking uneven surfaces or objects.
    In addition, the operator or passenger
    can fall off due to hard turns, acceleration,
    braking or impacts.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very easy to get the wheel up when riding 2 people.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder
    From page #24 of your owners manual.... :

The three-wheeled “Y” configuration
    provides greater low-speed stability
    than a motorcycle. However, it is
    not as stable as a four-wheeled vehicle
    such as an automobile...................
    Agreed, but one has to realize that a lot of the manuals for things like the spyder are C.Y.A. items and I asked just because I kinda expect the actual experiences of riders to be a little different than what the manuals and BRP videos say.......

It's pretty well known that BRP is learning a lot from the first owners of this vehicle and have been making various changes as a result of that feedback and research.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by matusky
    Agreed, but one has to realize that a lot of the manuals for things like the spyder are C.Y.A. items and I asked just because I kinda expect the actual experiences of riders to be a little different than what the manuals and BRP videos say.......

It's pretty well known that BRP is learning a lot from the first owners of this vehicle and have been making various changes as a result of that feedback and research.

I was directing my reply to the original poster......I wouldn't try making a sharp turn in my car at 40mph, let alone one of these things! I hope no one gets hurt proving that they CAN flip their Spyder. :-[

MetroAsian

I guess I'm used to drifting my car into tight turns It's gonna get me in trouble on the spyder.