Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ST info and details

There may be questions about the ST you would like to ask and I do have some details you may or may not know so I'll post them here.

For starters the ST is the middle of the road between the RS and the RT. It has more relaxed ergonomics and better wind protection than the RS but keeps the sporty look and handling performance of the RS. It is an evolution of the two units.

The foot position is 5" forward compared to the RS. This gives the average rider a 93 degree knee bend compared to a 78 degree bend on the RS. The seating position has also been adjusted for long distance riding.

The handlebar position has also been adjusted for a more relaxed riding ergos. The Spyder ST is pulled back 4" and is higher by 3.3" compared to a 2012 RS.

The Sport Touring seat has been redesigned for both aggressive cornering and long distance travel. The saddle has different foam density in key areas to achieve this. In other words this is not the same foam density through out the seat like most seats.

As you know the new sport console is more in line with the RT than the RS yet it is small enough to maintain the sporty look while giving the rider better hand, upper body and helmet protection when compared to the RS. The console has lower wind deflectors along with a manually adjustable windshield that has 4" of travel.

The base model ST comes with:

• 15" metallic silver twin spoke front rims with low profile tires
    • Adjustable passenger footboards
    • Multifunction color display
    • 998 Rotax V-twin with 100 horsepower and 80 foot pounds of torque, same as the RT
    • Left grip electronic command center with LED back lighting. same as the RT
    • Electronic parking brake that is self adjusting
    • 44 liters front storage
    • RT-622 trailer capability
    • Front fenders are old style 2008-2012
    • Comes in one color only (Pure Magnesium Metallic) $18,899 (SM5), $20,399 (SE5)

The Spyder model ST-S comes with:
    • 15" carbon black six twin blade spoke front wheels with low profile tires
    • 998 Rotax V-twin with 100 horsepower and 80 foot pounds of torque, same as the RT
    • Refined front fenders design with improved aerodynamics and integrated front LED lights
    • Rider footboards (SE5 only) with vibration dampening
    • "S" trim package with carbon black handlebars, footrest, rear sprocket, exhaust and springs. Plus painted upper a-arms and front spoiler cover
    • Electronic cruise control
    • Comes in (Circuit Yellow Metallic) and (Pure Magnesium Metallic) $20,099 (SM5), $21,799 (SE5)

The Spyder ST Limited model comes with:
    • 15" twelve spoke chrome front wheels, chrome accents on the exhaust tip and heat shield
    • AM/FM audio system with iPod cable, weather band and (optional) satellite radio
    • Garmin 660 GPS
    • Removable rigid saddlebags that are lockable and color matched (68 liter extra storage)
    • Rider heated grips
    • "Limited" embroidered seat
    • Front cargo liner
    • 12 volt power outlet
    • Rider footboards (SE5 only) with vibration dampening
    • Refined front fenders design with improved aerodynamics and integrated front LED lights
    • Comes in (Blackcurrent) and (Pearl White) $24,599 (SE5 only)

New for all 2013 this year:
    • New suspension geometry tire to ground contact
    • New redesigned frame to offer more rigidity
    • New engine mounting to reduce vibrations transmitted to the frame and reduce engine movement under load
    • New battery location, battery is now located in the front of the frame and is access through the front trunk
    • New improved clutch components with new friction plate material and an additional friction and steel plate added to the pack along with a new oil cooling jet nozzle. Kit will retrofit to all previous Roadster models
    • New shorter a-arms, tie-rods, ball joints and swaybar with more upright shock mount
    • 2013 front shock are calibrated to meet all preload requirements considering the new suspension geometry and are non-adjustable except for the RSS
    • New swaybars are calibrated for each unit based on curb weight, 1.RS&ST 2.RS-S 3.RT
    • New 15" front wheels with low profile tires (less sidewall flex)
    • Refined front fenders design with improved aerodynamics and integrated front LED lights (except for base models)
    • New high performance Brembo brakes specifically designed for the Can-Am Spyder with 20mm larger diameter and 1mm thicker
    • New self adjusting parking brake
    • New generation VSS to provide even more control in ABS situations
    • 998 Rotax V-twin with 100 horsepower and 80 foot pounds of torque
    • All three models use the same exhaust with variations in colors and heat shield designs

Spyder Garage

Did you notice the ST Faran is sitting on is two tone?

Spyder Garage

There is a comfort seat option for the ST, is that the same comfort seat BRP has had for the RS?
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    There is a comfort seat option for the ST, is that the same comfort seat BRP has had for the RS?
    I don't know for sure but I can find out. I do know that a lot of work went into designing this seat for the best of both worlds. It's not just a shape design but the proper density of foam has been placed in key places.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, that's why I find it strange to see an optional seat

Spyder Garage

Default Looking at the ST

I would like to see a compatibility list, or a space for comments, to determine what aftermarket parts would fit on an ST. I have too much money invested in my 09RS SM5 to start over from scratch.

From what I determine, the EVO swaybar is out, due to the new geometry. I understand the new front end and suspension does rather well.

Will my dual-exhaust bolt on? What about the luggage rack/back rest? Windshields?

Thanks for creating this ST space. I'll be reading.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post
    I would like to see a compatibility list, or a space for comments, to determine what aftermarket parts would fit on an ST. I have too much money invested in my 09RS SM5 to start over from scratch.

From what I determine, the EVO swaybar is out, due to the new geometry. I understand the new front end and suspension does rather well.

Will my dual-exhaust bolt on? What about the luggage rack/back rest? Windshields?

Thanks for creating this ST space. I'll be reading.
    The exhaust is the same as on all units now and it is like the RT not the RS. Your pipes will not bolt up.

I'm 99% sure your luggage rack/backrest will.

Windshield will not but this is the better than any RS windshield out there now.

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I would guess that is one of the test mules, possibly disguised as a silver/black RS?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Did you notice the ST Faran is sitting on is two tone?
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Is the trunk liner different now that the battery is up front?

Spyder Garage

Talking

I cannot believe anyone has not yet said it...

They moved the battery! This is good correct? I thought a good amount of folks here suggested that over the years

I think this is wonderful. For add ons, jump starts, Trickle Charging, and just down right access! Having to remove so much of the Spyder to remove the battery before was a bit of a chore... Looking forward to seeing pics of this...
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 10-01-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I cannot believe anyone has not yet said it...

They moved the battery! This is good correct? I thought a good amount of folks here suggested that over the years

I think this is wonderful. For add ons, jump starts, Trickle Charging, and just down right access! Having to remove so much of the Spyder to get remove the battery before was a bit of a chore... Looking forward to seeing pics of this...
    See post #1 in this thread, it was news to me!!

"New battery location, battery is now located in the front of the frame and is access through the front trunk"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    Is the trunk liner different now that the battery is up front?
    Yes

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Just thought I would say thank you to BRP and those on these forums... It is clear BRP listens. Even if it is not on our time frame... A few of the changes they made as they devoloped the ST are what many here have asked including myself... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-on-the-2012-s
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So the removable rigid bags are only available on the Limited?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    So the removable rigid bags are only available on the Limited?
    No, they are included on the Limited,,you can add them to any of the ST's as an accessory.

Spyder Garage

I just got word that it looks like Dec. before they start hitting the dealer showrooms.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question

Thanks for this thread Lamont.

We've been trying without success (probably due to our slow connection) to access the BRP site to determine which upgrades we would want if we get the ST-S. Do you know if the heated grips are available on the ST-S, and if so, how much?

Also, with the new positioning, do you know if the present Corbin seats (RS and/or RT) would work on the 2013's?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post

We've been trying without success (probably due to our slow connection) to access the BRP site to determine which upgrades we would want if we get the ST-S. Do you know if the heated grips are available on the ST-S, and if so, how much?

Also, with the new positioning, do you know if the present Corbin seats (RS and/or RT) would work on the 2013's?
    The heated grips will be an option for the ST-S but I don't have a price.
    My guess is the RS Corbin seat will work on the ST but I don't know that for a fact. I do know there was very little change to the back of the frame.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The foot position is 5" forward compared to the RS. This gives the average rider a 93 degree knee bend compared to a 78 degree bend on the RS. The seating position has also been adjusted for long distance riding.
    I believe this is the other way around. The RS requires you to bend your knee 93 degrees, but the ST will only require 78, similar to the RT. This is important, some folks with a replacement knee can only manage about 90 dgrees maximum, and it isn't comfortable to any great length of time. 78 degrees is a lot more achievable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I believe this is the other way around. The RS requires you to bend your knee 93 degrees, but the ST will only require 78, similar to the RT. This is important, some folks with a replacement knee can only manage about 90 dgrees maximum, and it isn't comfortable to any great length of time. 78 degrees is a lot more achievable.

Spyder Garage

Off the wall question here...

By chance... Does BRP have in their back pocket... A Passenger Backrest that will be more like the RT type then the RS type as an option in the works? I know we have the backrest options like most bikes have. I mean a bolt on option with more of a "Hugging" and "Sturdy" backrest/storage type setup the RT has now. However bolt on like the smaller simpler version we have now.

If they do, or an aftermarket group has one that is really similar to the RT... I have a feeling they will sell more ST's in the long run. That single item is the only reason my wife is holding fast to the RT-S next year instead of the ST. I want the sporting ryde, she wants the touring comfort. And I think the ST can bring that combination to our home.

Granted... Having only been married a short period of time (18 years) I may not be interpreting her as accurately as one should. But we tried the RS-S and it was far to painful for her to ryde shotgun. The RT-S allowed her to not only ryde a few hours before becoming uncomfortable, but she liked driving it into town here and there...

I cannot say this enough... The ST looks to be the best choice for the majority of owners looking for what is missing on the RS "And" the RT... And I would really hate to miss the actual "need" this time around...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Off the wall question here...

By chance... Does BRP have in their back pocket... A Passenger Backrest that will be more like the RT type then the RS type as an option in the works? I know we have the backrest options like most bikes have. I mean a bolt on option with more of a "Hugging" and "Sturdy" backrest/storage type setup the RT has now. However bolt on like the smaller simpler version we have now.

If they do, or an aftermarket group has one that is really similar to the RT... I have a feeling they will sell more ST's in the long run. That single item is the only reason my wife is holding fast to the RT-S next year instead of the ST. I want the sporting ryde, she wants the touring comfort. And I think the ST can bring that combination to our home.

Granted... Having only been married a short period of time (18 years) I may not be interpreting her as accurately as one should. But we tried the RS-S and it was far to painful for her to ryde shotgun. The RT-S allowed her to not only ryde a few hours before becoming uncomfortable, but she liked driving it into town here and there...

I cannot say this enough... The ST looks to be the best choice for the majority of owners looking for what is missing on the RS "And" the RT... And I would really hate to miss the actual "need" this time around...
    I'm pretty sure the only backrest option you're going to see for the ST is the one they use on the RS now.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont ^^... Makes the choice an easy one I guess...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated grips for ST are $199.99

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post

Wouldn't ya know it, I didn't select YELLOW as the ST-S color selection on the BRP site and finally got thru!!!
    the price for the heated grips are $199.99

Spyder Garage

Did I hear somewhere that all three Spyders, RS RT & ST, will have the same engine? If so, which fuel will they recommend for use?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly