Thread: Update charges

Spyder Garage

Default Update charges

I found some posts that addressed this in the past. Now I wonder if there has been a change. Spoke to a friend this afternoon. He returned from a 6 day ride. Early on he was having some starting and idling problems on a 2010 RT. Stopped by a dealer ( not where he purchased or has his serviced) and asked about having it checked out. They were kind enough to work him in that afternoon. When they entered the VIN number he was told that it needed updates. He told them that the had been serviced about 2 months ago and he thought everything was up to date. They indicated that his service dealer had probably not entered the data but they would connect it up now and check to make sure. He said that after about 15 to 20 minutes they told him the bike was ready and everything was updated. Now for the kicker; he was charged 1/2 hour shop time for the updates. He said nothing else was touched. He paid the bill after questioning the charge and went on his way. The updates did the trick and he had no further problems the rest of the trip. Now the question. Do the dealers charge for updates if it is not done during a routine service? Is there a charge for updates at normal service intervals? He is happy with the work but thought that the updates were a N/C item. Your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

I would be glad the dealer worked me in while travelling, I would be very tempted to lay this bill on the service desk where the spyder has been getting service and ask them why I had to pay and why they hadnt done this update.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    I would be glad the dealer worked me in while travelling, I would be very tempted to lay this bill on the service desk where the spyder has been getting service and ask them why I had to pay and why they hadnt done this update.
    you should take it to where your spyder gets the work done. As for the dealership that did the updates. I would figure it only fair to pay for their time, and believe it normal for a minimum service charge to apply. Yet if there was a service (oil change etc.) I would think they would not charge.
    Last edited by Blue Star; 09-30-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I think his servicing dealer should have checked for any outstanding updates and completed them when it was serviced. If the Spyder was still within the basic warranty either dealer could have collected from the factory, if not the customer would be responsible.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

When someone would come to my Business, And i was asked fix someone else's work,And i was nice enough to squeeze it in and fix it ''righ''t, And then they questioned the charge, I would very politely say;'
    When you start working for nothing,
    Then that's when ''I'll'' start.

Spyder Garage

Heck, I would have tipped the tech 50.00 for getting me in and fixing the issues. Tahe up the issue with the dealer who should had done this update.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default updates

The question still needs to be answered. The original situation perhaps clouded the issue. If BRP comes out with updates for the software in the spyder. Are we expected to pay the dealer for doing the update? The TB problem is a good example. If you do not bring your spyder in for service and they fail. BRP will cover the replacement under warranty. If the software update is to prevent mechanical damage to the TB then why would the update cost be yours and not BRP.

I am not advocating that the dealer work for nothing but if they are reimbursed by BRP for this service should you also be charged for it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is his RT still under warranty? If it is under the original warranty I would think that it would be no charge. If under Best then the charge should be $50. And if it isn't under any warranty they would charge for the time it takes to perform the service.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Is his RT still under warranty? If it is under the original warranty I would think that it would be no charge. If under Best then the charge should be $50. And if it isn't under any warranty they would charge for the time it takes to perform the service.

Good point; I am not sure about the warranty or if he has extended it with Best. I believe he purchased the in July 2010 so it might be out of warranty. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Are the updates a warranty item, even if not under warranty? If the updates are a warranty item, then I agree BRP should pay for them.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TO WARRANTY OR NOT TO WARRANTY ????

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Are the updates a warranty item, even if not under warranty? If the updates are a warranty item, then I agree BRP should pay for them.
    It would be great if someone could give an absolute answer on this that everyone could use....I think it's very important.......Don't you ???????????.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    It is my understanding that they are only covered if you are under warranty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Orrrr..... Could this 2nd dealer that found some "un-updated" updates been pulling a scam??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Semantics. I personally would think that "updates" are different than "recalls". Warranted or not to be warranted would come into play with updates. IMHO

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

speaking from a little experience as an H-D warranty clerk, and now working in the auto side of service, it basically plays out as such....

Recalls... are normally a SAFETY issue, and are done FREE OF CHARGE, regardless of age or mileage.

Updates... while a vehicle is still under BASIC warranty, are done when a customer has a specific concern, and an update is available for that concern. those NORMALLY are done free of charge.

Updates.... for vehicles OUT OF WARRANTY, are at cusotmer expense.

IF there is an EXTENDED WARRANTY and the repair is covered, then you probably will pay your DEDUCTIBLE plus tax. and SOMETIMES... your etended warranty will cover UPDATES.

but before having any work done... CALL your extended warranty company and ASK. once a tech starts turning a wrench or uploading software... YOU are responsible for payment.

these are both without EXTENUATING circumstanes, and no real idea of specifics. but if you keep that in mind, it may help out in further RECALL and UPDATE questions.
    Last edited by SpydeRider2010; 10-01-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default update charges

Thanks for the explanation, Will follow up with my friend this week to see what he found when he spoke to the servicing dealer.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I have never been notified of an update. Never. When my gauges failed for the third time, they replaced them and did some updates. When my check engine light came on twice in two weeks, there were updates. If we haven't been in for anything but oil changes, how many updates could we miss out on, simply because we didn't know about them.

I'm also a "bit" pi$$ed that my dealership didn't replace the throttle body assembly after throwing the codes on two different occasions, even though the service bulletin clearly called for it! I called my dealership today asking this very question. The tech said let me check and I will call you back. No, he never did call me back.......but I will be calling him back tomorrow you can bet on it.

In one month I am riding from Dallas to Memphis and back. Not a good time to have a problem such as this......

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Owners are not notified about updates...only recalls. When you take your Spyder in for service they hook to BUDS and any required firmware updates are performed. For other updates, warranty campaigns, and technical service bulletins, they are usually not performed unless the machine is exhibiting the problems noted in those bulletins. This is standard practice for virtually all automobile and motorcycle manufacturers.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Updates

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Owners are not notified about updates...only recalls. When you take your Spyder in for service they hook to BUDS and any required firmware updates are performed. For other updates, warranty campaigns, and technical service bulletins, they are usually not performed unless the machine is exhibiting the problems noted in those bulletins. This is standard practice for virtually all automobile and motorcycle manufacturers.
    And this is why everyone appreciates Spyderlovers! We will hear it first thanks to folks like Lamontster and the Bike Prof!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Scotty. I was beginning to feel left out because I had never been notified of an update. My Spyder is at the dealer now getting the rear suspension fixed up so hopefully they'll also put it on BUDS and check for needed updates.
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

thanks Scott

even after we have both explained it a bit... there will still be some confusion on the matter.

this might be something MORE dealerships should explain a bit clearer. today's customers
    are not as uninformed as 20 yrs ago. but frankly there are still some really DENSE ones
    out there. and it will simply never sink in...

be INFORMED !!!! ASK QUESTIONS !!!! LOTS OF THEM !!!! you paid DAMN GOOD money for your Spyder.... DEMAND DAMN GOOD ANSWERS !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Updates on updates

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Spoke to my friend and his explanation mirrors the information Scotty provided. Normal service includes updates, special service i.e. problems that surface requiring updates may or may not be charged for by the dealer. It is their call. In his case there was an update that came after his last service which when done by another dealer on his trip fixed the problem. He did clarify the reason for the charges and he was charged for 'shop time' not updates. Semantics, but acceptable. Warranty did not cover any of this. BRP reimbursement to the dealer remains an unknown.