Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You might have been able to shim it back to spec and saved some bucks what what fun would that be?
    I had a clutch that was shimmed wrong but it didn't have any effect on my mileage that I know of. It did have an effect on some of my parts. It's all good now. I'm glad to see you stuck it out in finding the issue. Not too many folks here get their hands dirty that deep into the Spyder.

Not enough clearance

Might I inquire as to what the symptoms were, how you realized it was your clutch. Any unusual sounds, etc. Which way was the clutch shimmed wrong? Too much, or too little. Thanks for your replies.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BS

Quote Originally Posted by DLE View Post
    When I roll on the throttle at higher RPMs, the engine revs and the Spyder catches up after a couple of seconds. Assuming I may need a new clutch plates, is anyone aware of after market clutches for the se5?
    BRP knows about weak/ slipping clutch since 2009, new clutch in all Spyders since 2011, I bought my 2009 Spy brand new and they replaced/upgraded a clutch under warranty, it was never a Recall but well known issue. Sunshine riders who never opens the throttle will never even notice before their clutch slowly and surely smokes off - when warranty is gone.

Spyder Garage

Might I inquire as to what the symptoms were, how you realized it was your clutch. Any unusual sounds, etc. Which way was the clutch shimmed wrong? Too much, or too little. Thanks for your replies.
    There was no clearance when I checked and I was getting a chatter. After new parts and shimmed properly it was fine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Diagnostic

Easy way how to find out state of your clutch.
    If it is 2010 or older - it needs new clutch.
    Test : bring it at 6000 rpm in 5th gear and fully open , if it reacts and accelarete, your clutch is still fine but will get there eventually. If engine revs up but no or delayed acceleration - it's a clutch time Pal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There was no clearance when I checked and I was getting a chatter. After new parts and shimmed properly it was fine.
    Reason I ask, is now when I put it in 1st or reverse, the clutch grabs and at an idle will try to move the machine if it is on the level. Really not a problem, just don't have to have the rpm's up to approximately 2400 for it to engage. Slight brake pressure holds it just fine.

Spyder Garage

Reason I ask, is now when I put it in 1st or reverse, the clutch grabs and at an idle will try to move the machine if it is on the level. Really not a problem, just don't have to have the rpm's up to approximately 2400 for it to engage. Slight brake pressure holds it just fine.
    Mine was the same way and it did get better with time.

Spyder Garage

Assuming you have an SE what you're describing sounds like it's creeping at idle right?

The centrifugal clutch is engaging too early. Not the same kind of problem being described here.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Assuming you have an SE what you're describing sounds like it's creeping at idle right?

The centrifugal clutch is engaging too early. Not the same kind of problem being described here.
    After putting in the new clutch kit with the extra two plates plus a thicker steel driven plate, and a new disk spring, I assume it just tightened things up a little, made the clutch somewhat more responsive.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    Easy way how to find out state of your clutch.
    If it is 2010 or older - it needs new clutch.
    Test : bring it at 6000 rpm in 5th gear and fully open , if it reacts and accelarete, your clutch is still fine but will get there eventually. If engine revs up but no or delayed acceleration - it's a clutch time Pal.

Thats when I noticed it. Either when I would hit resume on my cruise control or when I would pull out to pass another vehicle and roll the thottle wide open. The RPM's would jump but the Machine would then slowly catch up with the engine.

Spyder Garage

What does the new oil nozzle do ? Is it already in my 2012 RT ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    What does the new oil nozzle do ? Is it already in my 2012 RT ?
    You have one. It sprays the clutch plates with oil constantly. The Rotax is a dry sump engine, so the clutch plates can't run in an oil bath in the sump to stay wet, they have to be fed with oil constantly. A jet feed of oil is better than old-fashioned splash lube anyway, as it has a controlled volume and less friction.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL SPRAY ?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You have one. It sprays the clutch plates with oil constantly. The Rotax is a dry sump engine, so the clutch plates can't run in an oil bath in the sump to stay wet, they have to be fed with oil constantly. A jet feed of oil is better than old-fashioned splash lube anyway, as it has a controlled volume and less friction.
    Scotty, do you know what years and what models have this feature......and what happens to everyone else ???..........Mike.................And I'm guessing this only effects the SE trans.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Scotty, do you know what years and what models have this feature......and what happens to everyone else ???..........Mike.................And I'm guessing this only effects the SE trans.
    Everything has it, or the clutches wouldn't work. It is what makes the "wet clutch" wet.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good information.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default OIL NOZZLE

Everything has it, or the clutches wouldn't work. It is what makes the "wet clutch" wet.
    Since they are talking about a NEW oil nozzle .....Do we all need one...??????Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Since they are talking about a NEW oil nozzle .....Do we all need one...??????Thanks
    I suspect it is not that critical, but for those that have experienced clutch problems, it should help prevent recurrence. More oil means a cooler clutch, and less likelihood of burning or warpung the plates or discs.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I suspect it is not that critical, but for those that have experienced clutch problems, it should help prevent recurrence. More oil means a cooler clutch, and less likelihood of burning or warpung the plates or discs.
    There is quite a bit of difference in the new and old nozzles. The old nozzle is very short, whereas the new nozzle looks somewhat like the needles that are used to air up a ball. It is is considerably longer. I will post a picture of it when I figure out how to attach it.

Spyder Garage

There is quite a bit of difference in the new and old nozzles. The old nozzle is very short, whereas the new nozzle looks somewhat like the needles that are used to air up a ball. It is is considerably longer. I will post a picture of it when I figure out how to attach it.
    Thanks for the info. In that case I suspect that there was also an improvement in the oil spray placement, getting it closer to the center of the clutch pack. I wonder if the nozzle is available separately?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I suspect it is not that critical, but for those that have experienced clutch problems, it should help prevent recurrence.
    I thought that I was the only one with clutch problems ('course, "because of the turbo").
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thinner friction, thicker steel plates. Any changes in the springs (weight, height)?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Thinner friction, thicker steel plates. Any changes in the springs (weight, height)?
    The only spring involved with this kit was the spring disc. The pressure plate and clutch drum assembly were not involved, so did not remove them, as my discs had just started slipping and were not burned. Shop mechanic as well as myself could not detect any burnt smell or color in the oil. Also no reason to take the the pressure retaining valve apart, since the oil had just been changed and the air nozzle would have no reason to be clogged or dirty. So the compression spring did not come into play, and was not part of the kit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    These are some photos showing the difference in the steel driven plate, the offset faces the disc pack, very important to soak the plates in oil for 1/2 hour prior to installing. The clutch pack compression device is used to compress the disc pack to enable an accurate measurement from the top of the friction plate to the top of the clutch hub.
    Also a photo measuring the the top of the spring disk to the machine surface on the pressure plate. Last photo is the old and new oil nozzle.
    IMG_0758
    IMG_0759
    IMG_0756
    IMG_0760
    IMG_0764
    IMG_0770
    IMG_0766
    IMG_0768

Spyder Garage

These are some photos showing the difference in the steel driven plate, the offset faces the disc pack, very important to soak the plates in oil for 1/2 hour prior to installing. The clutch pack compression device is used to compress the disc pack to enable an accurate measurement from the top of the friction plate to the top of the clutch hub.
    Also a photo measuring the the top of the spring disk to the machine surface on the pressure plate. Last photo is the old and new oil nozzle.
    IMG_0758
    IMG_0759
    IMG_0756
    IMG_0760
    IMG_0764
    IMG_0770
    IMG_0766
    IMG_0768
    Can you please repost? The images didn't show. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default NEW OIL NOZZLE

This all very helpful and I thankyou for sharing......Is the new oil nozzle available as a separate part and if so do you know the #,.......and should all the SE trans be retro fitted with this nozzle or just certain years and models ??????.......Thanks ......Mike