14 14.14%
  • Blackcurrant ST Limited with SE trans

25 25.25%
  • Pearl White ST Limited with SE trans

16 16.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Are you planing on owning the new ST ? If so post here!

I just now got my wife to want to go on rides with me on the RT and after Nathans wreck I was sure that those days were over but much to my surprise she still wants to ride.

I was thinking I was not ready to give up the RT now for an ST if she wasn't going to want to ride on it with me but once again she surprised me and said she would still ride on the ST and knows I need to keep current on what I'm promoting and the ST is more my style. So I'm slowly releasing myself emotionally from the RT and starting to get pumped up for starting a new project with the ST.

My next struggle was what ST to go with. I decided I'm going to start with the yellow ST-S SE package.

Options I would like are:

• Trailer hitch package with wiring. I bought a used black RT-622 and I plan on towing it with this. I would need the plug for the trailer to go to the new plug on the ST. I see it's square now.
    • AM/FM Integrated Audio System with iPod hook up
    • Akrapovic Sport Silencer
    • Fog Light kit
    • Heated grips from the ST Limited. I got to have my heated grips after having them on the RT.

So now the planning and waiting game begins.

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the Boss lets me I'm right with you. She loves the yellow, and heated grips are a must for us Yankees. I get the feeling I might be riding the RT and she will be riding the ST.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

If my wife rode her GS more, I'd get her an upgrade to the ST, but don't see it happening anytime soon. She's probably only ridden a couple of hundred miles this year.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Lamont, I know you're planning to sell your '08, if you haven't already. Now it sounds like you're also planning to give upi your RT, if I read your post about releasing yourself emotionally from the RT. So, will you only have one Spyder soon?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like a great plan!

Similar to the way I was looking at it, but for a couple of differences

Pure Magnesium ST S SE

• Akrapovic Sport Silencer
    • Fog Light kit
    • Heated grips (did not know this was possible?). Lamont I assume this can be done from reading your post? Do tell.
    • Already have the bags will just need new color panels
    • I would like to add the Garmen set up (wiring and holder) if I can? I already have a Garmin 665

Wife made it easy on me

Blackcurrent ST Limited SE

won't need any mods.

Spyder Garage

I honestly can't justify getting an ST when I'm not exactly riding my RS that much. Hubby has had a lot of contract projects that have taken up his time. Since I like to ride with him more than I like riding alone, I just haven't done much. I'd give my eye teeth for a Circuit Yellow ST-S SM.

I need to win the SweepSTakes!!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS-S SE5 or 2013 ST-S SE5

It would be for my wife. I wish they (BRP) would give details to us. She likes the 2012 RS-S SE5 in black and red.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I've been trying to talk Nancy into trading her GS for an ST. No nibbles yet, but she seems to be softening in her protests. The ST would suit the artificial knee better, and be easier on her arthritis. Right now 100 miles is about the limit before she starts hurting pretty badly. I think the ST would get her on the road on her own again. I love having her as a passenger on the RT, but I am filled with pride when I see her on her own machine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Gee Scotty, I might have to have you make a call to my husband. He's the stick in the mud over any upgrade. That ST-S is calling to me. I can hear it!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Gee Scotty, I might have to have you make a call to my husband. He's the stick in the mud over any upgrade. That ST-S is calling to me. I can hear it!!!
    Yep, riding two-up with "Arthur" gets to you after a while. You know as well as anybody. Being bionic isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I've gotten pretty good mounting and dismounting from the right side with a passenger on the Spyder. But. That doesn't mean I'm not drooling over the ST!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Lamont, I know you're planning to sell your '08, if you haven't already. Now it sounds like you're also planning to give upi your RT, if I read your post about releasing yourself emotionally from the RT. So, will you only have one Spyder soon?
    I'm getting my RS in top shape now, will be up for sale this week for 10K. I figure I have 30K plus into it.

The RT was a loaner anyway as part of the Spyder 5 thing and my future plans are to own a new 201? RT and a ST seeing my wife says she want's to ride too. I'll most likely restore my 109 and give it a fresh paint job as I'll be out of money after I buy the ST.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    .... seeing my wife says she want's to ride too.
    How cool Lamont!!!! I was concerned that Chris would swear off on riding..... that's just awesome!

So, a question for you . . . . what are your ideas for a passenger backrest for the ST?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post
    How cool Lamont!!!! I was concerned that Chris would swear off on riding..... that's just awesome!

So, a question for you . . . . what are your ideas for a passenger backrest for the ST?
    The only thing that works for me is a Corbin with the removable backrest.

Spyder Garage

Default not everyone likes bugs in their diet . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    If my wife rode her GS more, I'd get her an upgrade to the ST, but don't see it happening anytime soon. She's probably only ridden a couple of hundred miles this year.
    You might ask her what she really likes to do . . . not everyone is a motorhead . . . My brother bought this big touring machine 'because his wife said she would ride with him' . . . . I think that he was the one that wanted it, but sort of blamed her because she didn't want to ride as much as he did, and he 'really' wanted a Concours . . . . I say, buy what you like to ride, and let everyone else decide what they want to do. . . . my late wife of almost 37 years would ride with me very seldom . . . (motorcycles) . . . the planets and stars would have to be alighned, the temperature just right, and no bugs. Cat on the other hand (Spyder Cat) and the other part of VaughnCat found new joy in riding a Spyder after almost 30 years after riding her last dirt/steet bike . . . . Ya just never know what another person would enjoy. . . . I tell some people that our Spyders are like the go-cart we didn't have as a kid.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Curious why they are not offering the limited with SM tranny.

Spyder Garage

Wow only 2 out of 19 in the poll opted for a manual tranny as of this morning
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Look at the poll above and that might give you an idea.

Spyder Garage

Default What Trany ??

There are Pros and Cons to both Transmissions. Personally I want to loose the clutch and manual shifting as I have a tendency to shift the wrong direction a 10,000 RPM I am lucky I havn't left an oil slick. I thought I read somewhere the SM has a reverse pattern shift up for ^^ and down for vv? is that right?

I love the feel of a shift kit in a good Turbo Hydro trans or a Torqueflight the sound of tires chirping in second gear.

I am hoping for an SE when I can get my

I am planning on taking a second look at them in HK next weekend!! Hopefully they will allow me a test ride?

Dan

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER CAT !!

Hi Spider Cat

I see your from Cave Junction! I know the area, been there many times in the late 80's.

Some great wineries in that area of Oregon !!

Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Whoever buys your 08 is gonna get a great deal..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Whoever buys your 08 is gonna get a great deal..
    I have things on it that I forgot I had. It runs great and I'm going through everything front to back now. I'll do a video of what the buyer will be getting when I'm done. Like I said I would jump on it today a head cross country with it without batting an eye, it's been a great bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    You might ask her what she really likes to do . . . not everyone is a motorhead . . . My brother bought this big touring machine 'because his wife said she would ride with him' . . . . I think that he was the one that wanted it, but sort of blamed her because she didn't want to ride as much as he did, and he 'really' wanted a Concours . . . . I say, buy what you like to ride, and let everyone else decide what they want to do. . . . my late wife of almost 37 years would ride with me very seldom . . . (motorcycles) . . . the planets and stars would have to be alighned, the temperature just right, and no bugs. Cat on the other hand (Spyder Cat) and the other part of VaughnCat found new joy in riding a Spyder after almost 30 years after riding her last dirt/steet bike . . . . Ya just never know what another person would enjoy. . . . I tell some people that our Spyders are like the go-cart we didn't have as a kid.
    She was fine for years on the back of my Goldwing, but decided to be like my two brother's wives and get her own license & bike. She wanted to get a new Honda Silverwing with ABS because she didn't want to mess with shifting. After one year & 262 miles (many of which I put on it) she told me she wasn't confident enough on two wheels & wanted a trike instead. That was in June of 2009 & also when we first learned about the Spyder from an article by Fred Rau in MSN. We looked at them & she decided what she wanted. This year has been a tough one for her, work wise, with 11 hour days and weekends. Easily the busiest year she's had in the almost 30 years with the company. She has an excuse for not riding much, but I also think she just doesn't have the passion most of us share.

But with all that said, she's a keeper in every way!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

spydee owner

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    I wondered that too. My preference would be the black currant sts limited with the sm trans.
    Maybe it has something to do with electronic cruise control. When I am on the BRP site, to build and price, the STS window hangs up when the select transmission is selected. So, I actually wonder if the electronic cruise is actually available on the STS with the manual trans.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    I wondered that too. My preference would be the black currant sts limited with the sm trans.
    Maybe it has something to do with electronic cruise control. When I am on the BRP site, to build and price, the STS window hangs up when the select transmission is selected. So, I actually wonder if the electronic cruise is actually available on the STS with the manual trans.
    Had the same issues when i tried pick the transmission on the st limited. I prefer the manual transmission.