Spyder Garage

Default FINALLY GOT FENDER LIGHTS--WHAT NOW--HELP

Well I finally got my front fender lights and the instructions are ..ok.. but not great. Would love to hear from someone who has installed these lights. My first question is do i HAVE to take my wheels off to take the fender off (guess i should learn where to properly jack the thing up just in case i have a flat) and any tricks that may help the install? Just put on my Utopia back rest--LOVE IT, AND A BIG SHOUT OUT TO BUDDY GRIPS His product and service was great.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which lights did you buy? The TricLed fender lights that go in the groove on the tops of the fenders are real easy to install and only require that you pop out the fender tip light. If you tell us what brand light, etc. then I'm sure someone will be able to help.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I got the Street Magic Magicflex Channez from Black Widow (who I am not real happy with) and it only took me 8 weeks to get them. The instructions say to remove the front wheels and the fender to install. I have heard that removing the front fender does really help in getting a good clean installation but is it necessary to remove the tire first? Then brings up the whole question of jacking it up without damaging the frame or suspension. It is a 2012 RTS. Thanks for your help

Spyder Garage

You have no choice but to remove the wheels.It would be easier to return the lights and get the tric led"s.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercoach View Post
    I got the Street Magic Magicflex Channez from Black Widow (who I am not real happy with) and it only took me 8 weeks to get them. The instructions say to remove the front wheels and the fender to install. I have heard that removing the front fender does really help in getting a good clean installation but is it necessary to remove the tire first? Then brings up the whole question of jacking it up without damaging the frame or suspension. It is a 2012 RTS. Thanks for your help
    I just installed the ChannelZ lights on my RT Ltd and don't see any way to install them without removing the wheels. The wire runs from a hole you need to drill in the fender above the mudflap to the tip light in the front of the fender. I see no way for you to be able to secure that wire to the fender support without removing the wheel. Be very careful when placing the lights once you remove the backing. Once it touches the fender there is no way you can reposition it...once it sticks it is stuck. Believe me this is important...I broke one of my ChannelZ strips trying to pull it off because I didn't like the way it looked...only had about 5-6 inches stuck and hadn't yet applied any pressure to seat it. I'm very happy with the ChannelZ looks and brightness. Wired mine as running lights and to blink with the turn signals. Good luck.

I forgot to mention...can't remove the fender without removing the wheel. The fender mounts to a rib located under the fender that runs almost the entire length of the fender. You have to remove 4 bolts that are inaccessible with the wheel on. Hope this helps
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 09-30-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FENDER REMOVAL

Well I finally got my front fender lights and the instructions are ..ok.. but not great. Would love to hear from someone who has installed these lights. My first question is do i HAVE to take my wheels off to take the fender off (guess i should learn where to properly jack the thing up just in case i have a flat) and any tricks that may help the install? Just put on my Utopia back rest--LOVE IT, AND A BIG SHOUT OUT TO BUDDY GRIPS His product and service was great.
    .....I have a GS/RS type and I have removed my fenders many times and never removed the tires to do so.......the fender brackets have to be giggled and wiggled a little to get them around the front "A" arms but it will work........Mike..................thankyou "buttsy" .....I have corrected this post to reflect your assistance....I only read his original question carefully......
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

if you bot the type that go in the groove along the lenth of the fender you may regret it if they r to bright..they will make it hard to see at night...good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Unfortunately you think we were all present when you bought your Spyder and therefore know WHAT KIND you bought.......WE DON'T.......be that as it may.....I have a GS/RS type and I have removed my fenders many times and never removed the tires to do so.......the fender brackets have to be giggled and wiggled a little to get them around the front "A" arms but it will work........Mike
    Post # 3 HE DID.....sorry couldn't help myself.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

On my way to TX tomorrow AM, I am stopping at the Can-am shop to have the Channelz & TIPZ installed. I don't know that they have installed them before. I'm glad I read this thread. How long should this project take?

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Default FINALLY GOT FENDER LIGHTS--WHAT NOW--HELP

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....I have a GS/RS type and I have removed my fenders many times and never removed the tires to do so.......the fender brackets have to be giggled and wiggled a little to get them around the front "A" arms but it will work.....
    :Agree:
    Same is true for the RT. I've had mine off many times without removing the wheel. It is easier and faster for me to remove the fender support bolts than to pull the gloryder caps and wheel lugs. Just be sure to unplug the front tip lights. The plug runs along the a-arm.

Spyder Garage

I ordered some things from Black Widow and had to call my credit card company to company to cancel the order. Never got my parts.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have the custom dynamics channel ones, red to amber on the front. I was able to drill and mount the lights with the tires and fenders on. That being said if I help someone else do that I would remove the tire. I also added the brightsides lights.

I just place a 2x4 on top of a floor jack under the A frame, which is just inside the tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by warp10; 10-01-2012 at 07:29 AM.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    :Agree:
    Same is true for the RT. I've had mine off many times without removing the wheel. It is easier and faster for me to remove the fender support bolts than to pull the gloryder caps and wheel lugs. Just be sure to unplug the front tip lights. The plug runs along the a-arm.
    I agree with blueknight911 and SteveMac. Didn't think to remove the fender by removing the fender bracket support bolts. Wasn't a problem for me to raise my since I have an ATV lift and I don't have GloRyder caps so removing the 3 lug nuts wasn't an issue either. Sorry if I mislead the OP. I installed the mudflap lights, amber bright sides, as well as the ChannelZ lights and each required a hole to be drilled in the fender...removing the wheel ensured I didn't inadvertently damage my tire when drilling.

Thanks blueknight911 and SteveMac...once again I learned something from this board.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Active Member RockyMountainRider50's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seeking Guidance on wiring Tri-color Channels Help!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I just installed the ChannelZ lights on my RT Ltd and don't see any way to install them without removing the wheels. The wire runs from a hole you need to drill in the fender above the mudflap to the tip light in the front of the fender. I see no way for you to be able to secure that wire to the fender support without removing the wheel. Be very careful when placing the lights once you remove the backing. Once it touches the fender there is no way you can reposition it...once it sticks it is stuck. Believe me this is important...I broke one of my ChannelZ strips trying to pull it off because I didn't like the way it looked...only had about 5-6 inches stuck and hadn't yet applied any pressure to seat it. I'm very happy with the ChannelZ looks and brightness. Wired mine as running lights and to blink with the turn signals. Good luck.

I forgot to mention...can't remove the fender without removing the wheel. The fender mounts to a rib located under the fender that runs almost the entire length of the fender. You have to remove 4 bolts that are inaccessible with the wheel on. Hope this helps
    I've got the same set-up including TIPZ unit. Instructions stated with Tipz installation connect Red to red and Black to Black BEFORE the TIPZ unit. Complete! Then it states to connect the yellow wire to the turn signal. By following the instructions in owners manual page 107 and removing instrument cluster. Couldn't find it in shop manual nor owners manual. So I connected the Yellow to the colored wire in the turn signals with no success! Now I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
    2012 RT LTD & RT-622 , Pearl White