Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Concerned about transmission after software update

My 2012 RT has been running great. It has just under 3000 miles. I brought the Spyder in to get my state inspection. While there, I was told it needed a software update. As I recall he said it had something to do with the throttle. Now it will not upshift from 1-2 until it is somewhere over 3500 RPM's. I always upshift around 4000 RPM's except going from 1-2 where I upshift much sooner since it sounds like like it is working very hard in 1st gear.

Can someone tell me what the most recent software update was regarding the throttle, and why I can not upshift from 1-2 until it revs. much higher than it used to? I guess most importantly whether the higher RPMs required for the 1-2 upshift is normal and if not why the update caused the "problem."

As always, the information gleaned from this board has been very helpful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    My 2012 RT has been running great. It has just under 3000 miles. I brought the Spyder in to get my state inspection. While there, I was told it needed a software update. As I recall he said it had something to do with the throttle. Now it will not upshift from 1-2 until it is somewhere over 3500 RPM's. I always upshift around 4000 RPM's except going from 1-2 where I upshift much sooner since it sounds like like it is working very hard in 1st gear.

Can someone tell me what the most recent software update was regarding the throttle, and why I can not upshift from 1-2 until it revs. much higher than it used to? I guess most importantly whether the higher RPMs required for the 1-2 upshift is normal and if not why the update caused the "problem."

Are you sure it's not in trailer mode?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not in trailer mode

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Are you sure it's not in trailer mode?
    I checked, and it is not in trailer mode. When I saw your post, I thought perhaps I put it in trailer mode when I was resetting my trip meter at the gas station, but it is in "regular" mode.

I was concerned it wasn't going to shift out of 1st at all, but it consistently did but at a much higher RPM. The other upshifts seem fine, though as I said I try not to upshift until I hit somewhere around 4000 RPMs.

Spyder Garage

I checked, and it is not in trailer mode. When I saw your post, I thought perhaps I put it in trailer mode when I was resetting my trip meter at the gas station, but it is in "regular" mode.

I was concerned it wasn't going to shift out of 1st at all, but it consistently did but at a much higher RPM. The other upshifts seem fine, though as I said I try not to upshift until I hit somewhere around 4000 RPMs.
    They may not have done the "relearn" of the transmission, that's part of the update.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I will check with him Monday

They may not have done the "relearn" of the transmission, that's part of the update.
    Thanks for the fast reply. I was almost hoping that it was normal after the update and I just needed to get used to the new shift point. I was joking with the service guy and said it has been running great and I hoped the update didn't change that. Well it sounds like an easy fix. I will have the dealer do a test drive on Monday. They are usually vey thorough.

Spyder Garage

Default software update

my 2012 rt was updated at 3000 now has 6000 miles and still does the same plus will pop sometime when cold is this right

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just had the same update done and it does shift out of first now at a higher RPM. My tech said the update was to protect the clutch from low RPM shifts. I actually have no issue with shift out of first at a higher RPM as it makes the bike run smoother at low speeds. Before I was always going from 1 to 2 and then back again to maintain both speed and RPM's. the tech said it will feel different, it does but I think it's doing what the update is supposed to do.

Spyder Garage

I know the Trans update that we tested awhile back downshifted sooner but I can't recal if it up shifted later. Could be this just the way it is now but I didn't know that was release was done and ready.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Was almost ready to say it is fine

I know the Trans update that we tested awhile back downshifted sooner but I can't recal if it up shifted later. Could be this just the way it is now but I didn't know that was release was done and ready.
    I can no doubt get used to the higher shift point, and thought it was fine. Then the afternoon it went as high as 5000 RPMs. Does it have any thing to do with how much throttle I am giving it when I go from 1-2. As I said all the other gears seem to shift fine. I generally wait until 4000 RPMs or so going into the other gears. It is only going from 1-2 that got used to shifting lower since it sounds like it will take off other wise.

If the higher revs protect the engine and/or transmission it is fine.

Lamont, I hope all is well with your son.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I definitely can go to higher RPMs in first before shifting to 2nd from 1st than before the update that was done a few days ago. It's actually pretty good as I don't have to go back and forth between 1st and 2nd to keep up the same speed as before, just stay in 1st a little longer. Also I may be just imagining it but all shifts seem to be smoother and more crisp with much less clunking. Power appears to be the same as before, adequate. This is my second Spyder ( past one was an 09 SE5 ) and I am pretty aware of all of the noises, clunks and vibratory entertainment that both RS and RT 's provide. It's not in trailer mode by the way. All in all I would say its a positive improvement.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It won't allow me to shift at lower RPMs

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Well I definitely can go to higher RPMs in first before shifting to 2nd from 1st than before the update that was done a few days ago. It's actually pretty good as I don't have to go back and forth between 1st and 2nd to keep up the same speed as before, just stay in 1st a little longer. Also I may be just imagining it but all shifts seem to be smoother and more crisp with much less clunking. Power appears to be the same as before, adequate. This is my second Spyder ( past one was an 09 SE5 ) and I am pretty aware of all of the noises, clunks and vibratory entertainment that both RS and RT 's provide. It's not in trailer mode by the way. All in all I would say its a positive improvement.
    It is not a question of being able to hold it in 1st longer, but a question of not being able to shift into 2nd until the RPMs are up around 4000 RPMs or so.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It is not a question of being able to hold it in 1st longer, but a question of not being able to shift into 2nd until the RPMs are up around 4000 RPMs or so.
    You really shouldn't be shifting an SE at all until you are at or above about 4,500 rpm. The centrifugal clutch is not fully engaged until 3,200 rpm +/- 200 rpm. Given approximately a 1000 rpm drop between gears, the only safe place is above 4000-4400, depending on the machine and conditions. Play it safe and shift higher. The new firmware is just trying to remind you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok I understand now. My RT will shift to 2nd around 3,500 but I don't do that I hold until at least 4,000 to 4,500.

Spyder Garage

Default SE Shifting Upgrade

I really like the update so that I can now shift down quicker to 4th, but I'd like to be able to shift down to 3rd quicker. A lot of times, on secondary roads, 4th is lugging way down in the low-mid 3K range and it won't go into 3rd.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I really like the update so that I can now shift down quicker to 4th, but I'd like to be able to shift down to 3rd quicker. A lot of times, on secondary roads, 4th is lugging way down in the low-mid 3K range and it won't go into 3rd.
    That don't sound right . If it's the update I think it is, I got mine at the 600 mile service, and I don't have a problem downshifting to 3rd. I can easily do it at 50 on secondary roads, and regularly cruising at 45-50 in a straight, when I come to some curves, I kick it down to 3, run through the turns, and when the road straightens back out, I put it back into 4 to just cruise along.

Sometimes I think I may be abusing the transmission by shifting too much. Coming from cars originally, I get nervous from extended continuous RPMs in the 5500 - 6000 range, although I shouldn't since I see those regularly on the highway...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You are correct about the higher REV shift point.

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    That don't sound right . If it's the update I think it is, I got mine at the 600 mile service, and I don't have a problem downshifting to 3rd. I can easily do it at 50 on secondary roads, and regularly cruising at 45-50 in a straight, when I come to some curves, I kick it down to 3, run through the turns, and when the road straightens back out, I put it back into 4 to just cruise along.

Sometimes I think I may be abusing the transmission by shifting too much. Coming from cars originally, I get nervous from extended continuous RPMs in the 5500 - 6000 range, although I shouldn't since I see those regularly on the highway...
    I just spoke to one of the service guys at my dealer and he conformed what many have said. The higher shift points are a result of the software update, and that shifting around 5,000 even from 1-2 is better for the engine/transmission as well as performance.

As always, the board members are full of useful information, and have helped me out numerous times. It makes having the Spyder even better.

As an FYI, for anyone in this area (Chester Springs), my dealer Leisure Sports and Turf is under new ownership and they are having an open house on Thursday October 18th-Saturday the 20th. One of the events is a best looking Spyder contest and they are giving away a $100.00 gift certificate as a prize. If you will be around, I would love to meet some members from this board. Their web-site is http://www.leisuresportsnturf.com, and no I have no affiliation with them. They are good people to work with.