Spyder Garage

Default Tips on carrying stuff while touring?

Packing side compartments - how safe are the latches? Hypothetically, would a gallon can of gas fly off into the bushes when I take that corner hard? How serious is the weight issue? What would happen if I were to inadvertently overgross my side compartments by, say 5 pounds? I plan to pack the compartments so the load won't shift and to have even weight distribution.

It's been 15 years since I carried tent/sleeping bag, etc. on my 1100cc Yamaha Virago. How come I have so much more stuff now? No one bothered to steel my stuff then because people probably thought I was worse of than them. How vulnerable is my stuff and me on my pricey looking Tas?

Spyder Garage

I had a REDA gas can with me in a side compartment on my first trip to the Dragon with absolutely NO problems at all.

Once closed properly, I've had no issues with the side bags opening up unintentionally, however, sometimes they can be a little difficult to get closed properly. Not to worry though, the LCD screen warns you with a red flashing display if any one of the three rear compartments is not completely closed.

I've never had an issue with anyone trying to break into my bike.

I don't know, it's got that whole "Transformer come alive and eat miscreants" kind of look.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

When I have my side compartments stuffed full, I usually lock them to remove the possibility of the latch springs malfunctioning. I've never had them come open, yet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The weight limits are not really for the locks which are pretty reliable but for the Tupperware attachments. Always lock the boxes to keep from opening when you hit a pothole or bump, it's never happened but why take the chance. I'd carry a gas can in the front trunk to be safe as it can hold more weight. As for security that is always iffy. Don't leave any keys in the bike locks! I've done that without realizing it a few times, it easy to do when you are on a trip and gawking everywhere. Always park in a public area where people are around. When parking at a Hotel overnight ask the desk clerk if you can park up front under the overhang of the front door or somewhere where there are video security cameras. I also carry a long cable lock and secure the front end to something immovable for overnight parking and lastly cover your bike with a full or travel cover. The more time and work a thief has to endure the more likely he will move on. Of course if someone wants your stuff of bike they will get it so make sure your insurance is paid up and you have the contact numbers with you. Lastly don't store anything in the bike overnight that you can't afford to loose. Grandmas wedding ring, your meds or your keys to the house.

Spyder Garage

First trip we took back in 2010, I was following my wife's RT when the left side case flew open and her extra helmet came flying back toward me on my Valkyrie. I dodged and it bounced on the pavement and finally it came to rest in the middle of a field.

From then on we always ride with the side cases locked.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Most of the latches have been reliable, but be sure that the cover is solidly latched. The lid can stick a soon as it contacts the gasket, and be held there by suction, looking latched when it is not. I lean my leg against the bag or rap it with my hand...and listen for the click. I do not suggest overloading the bags. Stuff pushing hard against the lid increases the chances of latch failure. There is a cable adjustment if yours aren't latching properly.

When traveling alone, without a trailer, I strap a bag or bags with my extra gear to the passenger seat. It also serves as a handy backrest, but does interfere with fueling. I use either a Helen2Wheels clothes bag or a SealLine duffle. Both are waterproof. Helen2Wheels cargo straps, RokStraps, or PiggybackStraps work well for securing the bags, and the longer ones can be loosened to allow fueling, without disconnecting them.

When motorcycle camping (or traveling) without a trailer, think backpacking. Carry only what is absolutely essential...as small and lightweight as is practical. There is no need to pack the kitchen sink.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default touring

Inspector gadget rear luggage rack!
    http://www.spyderrt.info/web_images/crome3.jpg
    Works fantastic.

I carry gas, tools, emergency items in left side (away from exhaust). Wife gets front and rear, I get rt side and top bag on luggage rack. Fits 3 days stuff easily.

Spyder Garage

After sharing my camp site with the bear last week while on my shakedown cruise, I have decided to take my bag and bivy tent for emergencies and stay in lodges, motels and B&Bs. I will carry stuff in dry bag on passenger seat. I was concerned about overloading with weight the Tupperware. I don't want to be carrying a scale around with me. So, 1.4 gal gas can, oil and brake fluid in right? left? or forward? Of course, my heavy rain gear is in Texas, along with my bang bang...but I'm not going to need them

BTW MurphyBrown made a good suggestion about a cell phone. I need a SIMPLE one with good coverage in both US and CA. I want to buy it while enroute in the US, more suggestions?
    Thanks for all the advise.

Spyder Garage

Don't use a Net10 phone - when I went to Alaska the only time it worked was in AK and the lower 48. In AK and the northern part of the Provinces the cell phones only work in the cities and some larger towns. 99% of the time there's no reception. If you really need a phone, rent a Sat Phone.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Crossbowme, That is great advice. That was a major concern of mine. BTW, I was raised on Sebago Lake.

Spyder Garage

Another possibility is to puchase the SPOT Connect satellite device, which can connect to any cell phone.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Reda gas can, oil, and brake fluid along with some disposable rubber gloves in the left side compartment. You might also want to put in some paper towels (the kind they have at the gas station) for cleaning the dipstick in there too.

We planned on camping quite a bit on my recent trip and we wound up shipping the tents home after 3 nights of camping. Setting up and tearing down camp each day is a royal pain in the behind.

Have you seen Tide Pods? I took those on the trip and they were great. No worries about the laundromats having soap and no overpaying for them if they did. They take up very little space and they didn't burst open. Take something that you can wear while doing laundry so that you can throw your important things like jeans in the wash
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Once you have closed both bags and rear trunk and pulled on them to be sure they are secure, LOCK them! Never travel with them unlocked and never leave them unlocked when stopped for a rest or something to eat. One "curious" person can really mess up your travels by playing with the latches just enough to partially release the bags and when they open doing 70 MPH, it's O**** time.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TasmanianDevil View Post
    Crossbowme, That is great advice. That was a major concern of mine. BTW, I was raised on Sebago Lake.
    Beautiful place!
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky