Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default headlight modulators

Those of you that have installed these on your spyders, please advise what products you used. I have looked at a couple of sites but not found anything specific to can am- but figured the process would be faster & more accurate if I just asked the forum! Any problems with the installation of operation of whatever brand you have used? Thanks for the advice!

Slowly adding mods to my rt

Spyder Garage

Thanks to the headlights and foglights, the Spyder is bright enough that it doesn't need modulators.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not a fan of them myself due to how annoying they are. A Spyder is fairly visible as it is. I wouldn't waste the money.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default In the daytime...

I ride with high beams, fog light, and TricLed bright Fender Tips in the daytime, lowering to low beams at night. That and Viper Red seem to do the trick MOST DAYS. I still hover my thumb over the horn button whenever I see any cross traffic up ahead...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Kisan...

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Those of you that have installed these on your spyders, please advise what products you used. I have looked at a couple of sites but not found anything specific to can am- but figured the process would be faster & more accurate if I just asked the forum! Any problems with the installation of operation of whatever brand you have used? Thanks for the advice!

Slowly adding mods to my rt
    I put the modulator on my RS back in Sept/2010
    Installation ,not a problem, plug & play
    No problems in the 2 years since installed.
    Go to: Kisan Electronics, Model # P115W-D6 (for my RS)

Doesn't annoy me & makes me more noticeable/visible! Legal in all states.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Default kinda funny

A question was asked about a product and all but one person decided to give there opinion if he needed it . I mention this because it has happened to me on here also. I asked a question on something I WANTED and got a bunch of opinions about needing it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    A question was asked about a product and all but one person decided to give there opinion if he needed it . I mention this because it has happened to me on here also. I asked a question on something I WANTED and got a bunch of opinions about needing it
    Hahaha, I have noticed that, lots of old timers here set in there ways.

My two cents, let me know what you find because I had them on my other bikes and would like them on my Spyder also.

You will be able to see the difference right away after installing these as people will actually sit and wait for you to drive by instead of getting it a hurry
    and pulling out in front of you.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

I may be an old timer, and I'm sure my wife will tell you I am set in my ways, but I think headlight modulators are a great idea. I'm not so sure they are legal everywhere, under all conditions, but they do snag your attention. We need all the help we can get when we ride in the open. Each of us decides what we want or "need". It is nobody else's decision. I hope you find something that is compatible with the Spyder, and post the results here.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Don't use head light modulators in NC. They are against the law here and will cost you $385 in fines and court costs. Some LEOs will not let you continue on until you remove it (and besides they are irritating as hell) !

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
    Hahaha, I have noticed that, lots of old timers here set in there ways.

My two cents, let me know what you find because I had them on my other bikes and would like them on my Spyder also.

You will be able to see the difference right away after installing these as people will actually sit and wait for you to drive by instead of getting it a hurry
    and pulling out in front of you.
    Don't need modulators for that. Just lots of lights!
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pickelhead View Post
    Don't use head light modulators in NC. They are against the law here and will cost you $385 in fines and court costs. Some LEOs will not let you continue on until you remove it (and besides they are irritating as hell) !
    Completely legal here in Nevada, but not at night.

Are they irritating as hell? maybe but then they are doing what there suppose to do, getting you noticed by cagers.

It use to be only bikers had there headlights on during the day to be noticed, now most vehicles have daytime running lights.

Modulators up the anti to be seen.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Default Modulator

What exactly does a "Headlight Modulator" do?

Spyder Garage

I have TricLeds; vader headlights, fog lights etc. In the daytime I put the flashers on, steady light at night. The median age here in Venice, Florida is over 65. These lights make me very visible. Thanks Reggie.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    Alternates the headlight from dimmer to brighter rapidly. The light appears to flicker to oncoming traffic.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    It appears to me that most RTs appear to do this anyway.
    The headlights sit pretty high on the RT, and point even higher with a passenger on board. on low beam especially, the projector lens lights do appear to flicker as they go in and out of the direct line of sight. Same on the RS, but less noticeable with the lower position. Adjusting the aim of the headlights a bit lower usually helps, as does running with the high beams during the daytime...unless you want to flicker, then they're OK as is.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    I was not trying to be an ass with my response. I was sincere in what I said.

If someone wanted to know where to buy "deer-whistles" I would not provide them a link to buy some without first mentioning they are virtually useless and waste of time and money...

Check around about modulating lights... see what opinions you find out there. You might be surprised at the opinions of some who have, or had them... Not all, but some do not have good opinions/experiences about them.

I'll stick to my opinion they are annoying, and can sometimes confuse drivers as to your intentions... some have even claimed drivers turned toward them because they were looking at the modulating lights; thus drove right toward them.

Some say cars have pulled right out in front of them; apparently mistaking the flashing lights as an indication they were giving the car permission to do so.

Others have said cars suddenly stop or pull-over in front of them thinking they are the police or something... thus causing them to take evasive action to avoid running into them. The list of complaints seems to be fairly long to me.

Again, not all have these complaints, but there are some that do... enough for me to suggest not using them -- or at least suggest someone first check-out opinions of them before spending the money and taking the time to install them.

If your Spyder alone isn't visible enough... wear a "visible vest" of green, yellow or orange. Tests have shown they are quite visible and effective... and more likely not to be confusing. Not to mention they are a lot less expensive...

I hope this helps to clarify my original post. I should have included more about why I stated my opinion.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 09-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Visibility

Headlight modulators, apart from being a PITA for oncoming drivers, and illegal in some states, are not very effective, IMHO.

One of the reasons I purchased a Spyder was because I was afraid of not being seen by other vehicles. The idea of a car pulling out in front of me was enough to give me nightmares. The day I saw my first Spyder (it was yellow), was one of those AH-HA! moments; I had found the alternative to my car.

I drive everyday 30 miles into downtown DC, and it is not an easy feat. Between the tourists and the Diplomats living here, cars do some very strange things. I might add that the taxi drivers aren't from here either. Riding in town is congested, and requires maximum concentration.

As mentioned above, foglights, and some of the lighting products provided from vendors from this site, will make you more visible than a modulator designed to irritate other drivers.

If you insist on a modulator, perhaps you should wire the horn as well. Playing "La Cucaracha" at 130 Decibels is sure to endear you to your fellow commuters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post

To me its like a strobe effect for the headlights. Usually much faster that the alternating headlights you see on an emergency vehicle.

Unlike using your high beams during the day which is much more irritating and blinding to other drivers, the strobe effect does
    not blind but is very noticeable at a greater distance.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Just a follow up that modulators are legal by Federal law and Canada has a similar law.

-------------------------------------------
    This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108 (see copy below). Here is a web page with all of Part 571 and all of the subsections; they've now broken it up by section to make it easier to read. The Legal Information Institute at Cornell University also has a nice website where you can read the various sections of the entire Title 49 USC.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Default see my point ?

All this and only 1 response to the original question. You have to admit it is kinda funny

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question and there it sits. ....... as it has for the past year and a half now

When Teddy got his 1st RT-S back in 2010, the Mod Monster had taken hold of us & some insanity insued, thanks in part to this Wonderful forum full of ppl that knew what they were doing, so we joined in. Although, I forgot about that important part about "knowing what you are doing" & the other more important part of "doing mods entails downtime & when your addicted to ryding your Spyder daily, enough to give up your car, downtime isn't something you even want to hear about, less alone, self inflict. So, we've had some awesome LEDS with modulator sitting in the garage now for going on 2 years & since I've now got Teds Red Sled up in the air & scattered about in hundreds of pieces, this just might be the time to look into this mod. Tho I'm thinking, since the wires are seperate to the headlights, that it would require 2 seperate modulators, no?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    this just might be the time to look into this mod. Tho I'm thinking, since the wires are separate to the headlights, that it would require 2 separate modulators, no?
    I would think you will need a modulator for each headlight. However there is really no need to modulate both headlamps, one will do the job
    of getting you noticed just fine.

I was waiting for a Spyder specific modulator to appear on the market that was proven to work with the can bus system.
    Let me know how the install works out if you go ahead with it.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Oh NO ............ I have a thought

Everything is apart and I'm about to install the Xenon Depot HID Fog Light replacement kit and this got me to thinking which is always a scary proposition I'll call Steve (Xenon Depot) in a bit to get his take on this, but I'll throw it out here and see if anyone more knowledgeable than I will chime in and bring reality to my thought so here goes.

Seeing as the Fog Lights on the RT-S are controlled by an on/off dash switch, I'm thinking I could hook in the modulator right after the switch thereby contolling both fogs and making them into twinklers no Thoughts, ideas, reality check???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Everything is apart and I'm about to install the Xenon Depot HID Fog Light replacement kit and this got me to thinking which is always a scary proposition I'll call Steve (Xenon Depot) in a bit to get his take on this, but I'll throw it out here and see if anyone more knowledgeable than I will chime in and bring reality to my thought so here goes.

Seeing as the Fog Lights on the RT-S are controlled by an on/off dash switch, I'm thinking I could hook in the modulator right after the switch thereby contolling both fogs and making them into twinklers no Thoughts, ideas, reality check???
    Using a modulator with HID's I'm pretty sure will not work, they need a constant voltage to keep them lit.

Also my take on fog lights is they are designed to light up the area low and right in front of the vehicle so cannot be seen at any distance,
    hence not worth lighting them up during the day.

Let us know what you come up with.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not true

I have been running modulators for over 30 years now and have seen many many times people have taken the second look to see what that flashing (modulating) light is coming at them. By law they have to modulate (reduced and increased voltage) 4 times a second so most people see them as flashing (on and off) which is against the law. I believe it is the cheapest and most effective mod you can make for saftey. If a car driver is irriated because of my modulator, then I know he sees me and that should make me safer, unless of course he has road rage in which case nothing will protect a spyder from getting run over. BTW, they are not illegal in any state by federal law. I have been stopped a few times over the years because of the modulator but never given a ticket after I pulled out a copy of the federal law that makes it legal. Law enforcement have become informed and I haven't been stopped for about 10 years now account of the modulator, wish I could say the same for speed. heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post
    Headlight modulators, apart from being a PITA for oncoming drivers, and illegal in some states, are not very effective, IMHO.

One of the reasons I purchased a Spyder was because I was afraid of not being seen by other vehicles. The idea of a car pulling out in front of me was enough to give me nightmares. The day I saw my first Spyder (it was yellow), was one of those AH-HA! moments; I had found the alternative to my car.

I drive everyday 30 miles into downtown DC, and it is not an easy feat. Between the tourists and the Diplomats living here, cars do some very strange things. I might add that the taxi drivers aren't from here either. Riding in town is congested, and requires maximum concentration.

As mentioned above, foglights, and some of the lighting products provided from vendors from this site, will make you more visible than a modulator designed to irritate other drivers.

If you insist on a modulator, perhaps you should wire the horn as well. Playing "La Cucaracha" at 130 Decibels is sure to endear you to your fellow commuters.