Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind? What wind?

Hubby (Adirondack Mike) got me a Cal-Sci windshield for my birthday and he installed it today. Now, I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to ryding in the wind. I dislike, but can manage the sustained winds. The gusts throw me off balance and make me grab on. There have been beautifully sunny, but very windy days when I don't ryde because I hate the wind that much.

I just returned from a ride along the lake where the winds were about 15 mph. I could tell it was windy as the jacket under my arms was flapping. (I had a denim jacket). I kept waiting for the scary gusts. If there were any, I didn't feel them. Both the Spyder and my body were perfectly stable in the wind. In fact, I didn't even feel a need to brace myself in any way. I can't believe I'm hoping it will be windier tomorrow, so I can test it again.

As for the clarity- no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend this windshield. It is going to make a huge difference in my riding. If you're on the fence about purchasing one for your Spyder, don't be. You won't be disappointed. I LOVE it.
    Last edited by Rar; 09-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I liked the free tire gauge.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Teddy & I are glad you found a solution to your windy issues

Great News

Teddy & I are so glad to hear this

As we've been following your adventure with the wind issues

So give us some details, like which size did your wonderful husband order for you

Did you try it at different heights and get different results

With the size you have, do you look thru it or over it with it all the way down

Inquiring minds want to know

Spyder Garage

Her wonderful husband, ordered a medium, the shortest clear windshield offered. Roberta is 5' 4" and it appears to work well for her. I sort of snuck it out before she tried it and it was day and night. You look at that big hole in the center and feel nothing from it. I'm 6' and if I lived farther south would opt for that size. I ride my HD without a shield because I like the wind, but with the medium there was no push on my helmet or any part of my torso regardless. Great product, and liked the free air gauge , has to be better than BRP's.

Spyder Garage

Today (my first day with the windshield), I did not notice any difference with regard to wind impact and height. However, I rode with the windshield at the lowest point throughout the highest speed limits. When I turned onto a less busy road with lower speed limits, I experimented with the raised windshield. The conditions weren't the same so I cant give an accurate comparison. I rode at 55-57 with the windshield down during the windiest parts. It performed perfectly

With the windshield down,I am looking over it. However, it's still blocking the wind. I have a 3/4 helmet and nothing buffeted my shield or helmet. In fact, there's nothing buffeting me at all. I can't believe it. I felt my jacket flapping, but no body or Spyder buffeting.

i am about 5'4 -5'5. I have a med shield and sit up straight.
    Last edited by Rar; 09-25-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Roberta
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

Cool Love My SciFi

I love my cal-sci windshield too. I have a RS so it doesn't adjust but I wouldn't move it anyway. I'm 5'9" And with my 4" risers and Corbin seat, I sit up straight too. Before the cal-sci I too dreaded the afternoon winds. The gusts not only tried to knock me off the bike but would lurch the bike forward in the middle of a curve. Scary is an understatement. With the cal-sci and that funky hole, the buffeting is gone. Now I can enjoy my Ryde to work in the calm morning and going home in the gusting wind. The windshield is perfectly clear and easy to clean. I bought the medium and my sight line is just over the top of the shield. I highly recommend this product.
    Last edited by Jharpo; 09-25-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default wind on mt washington

We were on mt Washington, NH last Tuesday 25-30 mph on way up then the wind came up on way down 60-70 mph at summit . After we got down they closed the mt to bikes. LOVE MY SPIDER yes I do.Oh did I mention rain and fogBob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    I love my cal-sci windshield too. I have a RS so it doesn't adjust but I wouldn't move it anyway. I'm 5'9" And with my 4" risers and Corbin seat, I sit up straight too. Before the cal-sci I too dreaded the afternoon winds. The gusts not only tried to knock me off the bike but would lurch the bike forward in the middle of a curve. Scary is an understatement. With the cal-sci and that funky hole, the buffeting is gone. Now I can enjoy my Ryde to work in the calm morning and going home in the gusting wind. The windshield is perfectly clear and easy to clean. I bought the medium and my sight line is just over the top of the shield. I highly recommend this product.
    Yup- seems I also got gusts during any curve. I would be bracing one way and the gust would seem to appear from a different direction. If the weather holds from rain tomorrow, the Hubs and I are going to test it in a wind farm area.
    Roberta
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

Do you look over or through the windshield with a medium? I am 5'11" and was trying to decide on the large or xl. I have the BRP 25" touring and the side deflectors but get a terrible exhaust smell because of backdraft. I was told this shield would solve that problem. Do you have the side deflectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cal-Sci Winshield

I recently installed my large Cal-Sci windshield, and am very pleased with it. Right after installation I took a 600 mile trip and it seemed to perform as advertised; far less buffeting, and far less noise.

i am 5' 8" or so and get a bifocal view with the windshield in the down position of my 2012 RT. I think now that I should have gotten the medium, but regret are only minor.

i did notice some glare with the late afternoon sun, but sunglasses completed eliminated that. No such glare from headlights, etc at night.

many bugs during trip, but plain water and soft rag removed them and brought shield back to being clean and perfectly clear again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the Cal-Sci windshield is working as advertised for you.
    Dear Santa....
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGPa View Post
    I recently installed my large Cal-Sci windshield, and am very pleased with it. Right after installation I took a 600 mile trip and it seemed to perform as advertised; far less buffeting, and far less noise.

i am 5' 8" or so and get a bifocal view with the windshield in the down position of my 2012 RT. I think now that I should have gotten the medium, but regret are only minor.

i did notice some glare with the late afternoon sun, but sunglasses completed eliminated that. No such glare from headlights, etc at night.

many bugs during trip, but plain water and soft rag removed them and brought shield back to being clean and perfectly clear again.
    Do you feel that the extra width made for a warmer ride?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I personally can't tell yet. It was 70 yesterday which is sunbathing weather for some of us Yankees I was more impressed by the size of the vent hole in the shield. I kept putting my hand behind it to see if the wind was whistling thru and felt very little. I sent an Email to Mark this morning telling him how much I liked his product.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Mik View Post
    I personally can't tell yet. It was 70 yesterday which is sunbathing weather for some of us Yankees I was more impressed by the size of the vent hole in the shield. I kept putting my hand behind it to see if the wind was whistling thru and felt very little. I sent an Email to Mark this morning telling him how much I liked his product.
    70 is our night time low temp! I had a CalSci on a RS/GS and I know they have good products but I'm worried that the extra width might not be a good thing here in Las Vegas. With you being 6' tall and with the medium shield if you raise it to the highest are you still looking over it? I'm 5'10" and I ride with the shield at the lowest point on my 2010 RT.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

With the shield all way up I don't feel I'm bifocaled, you might be. If you are interested in a shorter shield I would call Mark. Although, they only show the shorty tinted he could probably cut one down for you. In Vegas you might want the tinted shorty.

Spyder Garage

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderRTprod.html

Her,s their site- It tells you how much lower and wider the different sizes are compared to 2010-2012 RT,s!
    I had one put on my 09GS as a" throw in" for the purchase and Never felt any problems with passing or being behind Semi,s !
    Theres a Good amount of air coming thru the hole BUT you never feel it directly on the body- Although it has to make it more comfortable in the Summer!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Ordered my calsci windshield today. Hope it solves my exhaust fume problems. Can't wait for it to get here!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Default It's almost here.....I need to do something...

Cold weather season is right around the corner, and I'm gonna need something if I want to ride this RS-S in the off season. Once the temps drop below 60, it is painfully freezing to ride RS-S in the wind....

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Cold weather season is right around the corner, and I'm gonna need something if I want to ride this RS-S in the off season. Once the temps drop below 60, it is painfully freezing to ride RS-S in the wind....
    Maybe we can get together after I get it and you can see what you think about it. I need to get together with warlock too. Want to check out that ultimate seat. Got a feeling I will have one of those by the end of the year

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Off-Season"??? Does such a thing exist??

Spyder Garage

This thread convinced me to order one, so I just did. XL for RS model. Thanks for a very detailed write up.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

1,000 miles on XL Calsci and love it. I originally ordered the medium based on chart. But had severe head bobble. Call Mike and returned the meduim for XL...No questions asked. Mike shipped same day that he received the exchange. Awesome customer service IMHO.

"Tigger" 2011 RS-S Alloy Orange/Matte Black (hers)
    "Hammer Head" 2012 RoadGlide Custom (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderrx View Post
    Maybe we can get together after I get it and you can see what you think about it. I need to get together with warlock too. Want to check out that ultimate seat. Got a feeling I will have one of those by the end of the year
    I've been reluctant to buy a windshield because I love the sporty look of my RS and thought a shield would take away from it. But I have to do something if I want to ride in the off-season.

Option 1.....look sporty and sit in the garage
    Option 2.....look less sporty and ride.....

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Ride" wins!

Spyder Garage

I like option 2. The good thing about the windshield is with 4 screws you can change so easy! UPS says my calsci will be here Wednesday.