Spyder Garage

Default Juice box or Juice box pro?

I'm running a yoshi exhaust and stock air cleaner. Occasional spitting and sputtering with accel and backfire and popping on deccel. I want to add a green air filter or possibly evo performance filter. I know this will only amplify these problems without some fuel management. PC 5 is not an option, I don't have a laptop or the desire to tweak every specific performance band. Just looking for a simple fix for the fuel mixture ratio to make it run smooth and not pop and sputter. Will the regular juice box meet my needs or do I have to get the juice box pro? Thanks in advance for your input. I have researched the threads for many topics dealing with this issue but never found a definitive response
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

I know you said PC5 is not an option, but I would seriously consider it more. I ran the JB and it did not help me at all (actually gave me more issues). I took it off and sold it and went to the PC5 with auto tune and my spyder has never run better. Even if you only do the PC5 and not the auto tune then personally I think you would be better off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    I know you said PC5 is not an option, but I would seriously consider it more. I ran the JB and it did not help me at all (actually gave me more issues). I took it off and sold it and went to the PC5 with auto tune and my spyder has never run better. Even if you only do the PC5 and not the auto tune then personally I think you would be better off.
    without the auto tune isn't it just the same as the JB? They are supposedly made by the same company?
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you are going to do this than I suggest the JB Pro or PcV.I have the JB Pro and runs great,but the general consesus is that the PCV with the Autotune would get you where you need to be easier with less hit or miss on the map settings albeit more expensive.

Spyder Garage

Seeing as I run pretty much the same setup, check my recent posts, you'll find a few informative ones.

In short:
    -- I bought the Yoshi first. Had some popping/backfiring. Got worse over time.
    -- I bought the Juicebox Pro. Went to install it, realized what a pain in the removing the airbox was, decided there was no way I was putting that airbox BACK in the bike, so then bought the Kewlmetal air filter system.
    -- Using the included JB Pro settings I couldn't find joy. At a suggestion here I downloaded (via laptop plugged into the bike) the PCV maps for the Spyder (I now use Map 5 as my "baseline"-- this captures a single aftermarket exhaust and air filter).
    -- Along the way, I also nuked my OEM O2 sensor. No certain reason why it went bad: could have been going bad already, running the Yoshi by itself for a month could have made it go bad, or messing around with all the JB settings could have made it go bad. Whatever the reason, I had to replace it.
    -- Also along the way, I swapped out the OEM plugs with iridium plugs and new wires purchased via Spyderlover's own BajaRon.

So... after all that... how does the Spyder run?

I've had to tweak from the PCV Map #5 baseline, still haven't found the perfect sweet spot. The Map 5 setting for the high range is fine, the mid range setting is good but might be a little rich, the low range setting is probably too rich but if I set it all the way to the bottom (mggunner here on the board runs his that way) my bike will backfire after startup (usually at the first gear shift). Now that I've swapped out the O2 sensor and plugs, I went back to the bone stock Map 5, all dials set in the middle, and it seems to be running well enough.

However, I'm eager to find a dyno near me that can test out the Spyder. I plan on running my bike for a long time to come (especially now that the ST is out and didn't wow me into rushing out to trade my RS in), so investing in some good custom mapping is worthwhile for me.

That all said, if I had to do it all over again? I wouldn't. Yeah, that stock exhaust on the Spyder is a pig, but man, talk about pulling a sweater thread!

Bottom line: Get the PCV with autotune.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Seeing as I run pretty much the same setup, check my recent posts, you'll find a few informative ones.

In short:
    -- I bought the Yoshi first. Had some popping/backfiring. Got worse over time.
    -- I bought the Juicebox Pro. Went to install it, realized what a pain in the removing the airbox was, decided there was no way I was putting that airbox BACK in the bike, so then bought the Kewlmetal air filter

Bottom line: Get the PCV with autotune.
    I have watched the JB install video several times, I've never seen the air box having to be removed. Did I miss something?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    I have watched the JB install video several times, I've never seen the air box having to be removed. Did I miss something?
    Long fingers?

It's obviously possible to install the JB without removing the airbox-- the video shows it done-- but I found it practically impossible for *me* to install it without removing the airbox. I just couldn't get my fingers in the right spots to disconnect & connect the plugs. In fact, the JB Pro instructions are different than the JB video insofar as it recommends removing the airbox for just this very reason, the ability to reach the plugs (and also posi-tap into the wires to power the JB Pro).

I spent about 20 minutes staring slack-jawed at everything before I finally decided to just remove the airbox and put it together that way. Once I had the airbox off, that's when I decided to rush order the Kewlmetal performance filter kit. VERY happy with the latter, if only because it really does open up the engine area for inspection and ease of maintenance (pulling sparkplugs was super easy with the airbox removed).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Long fingers?

It's obviously possible to install the JB without removing the airbox-- the video shows it done-- but I found it practically impossible for *me* to install it without removing the airbox. I just couldn't get my fingers in the right spots to disconnect & connect the plugs. In fact, the JB Pro instructions are different than the JB video insofar as it recommends removing the airbox for just this very reason, the ability to reach the plugs (and also posi-tap into the wires to power the JB Pro).

I spent about 20 minutes staring slack-jawed at everything before I finally decided to just remove the airbox and put it together that way. Once I had the airbox off, that's when I decided to rush order the Kewlmetal performance filter kit. VERY happy with the latter, if only because it really does open up the engine area for inspection and ease of maintenance (pulling sparkplugs was super easy with the airbox removed).
    How about the noise? Is it noisier without the air box? I was considering just going with the green filter instead of the whole air box removal and doing baja rons pcv filter to eliminate the oil problem. I'm not crazy about putting the oil overflow line down the throttle bodies.

Spyder Garage

When I had issues with my JB pro and switched to PCV with auto tune, a power commander rep told me that JB is power commanders "old" technology." What works for some may be different for others but I would highly recommend the PCV and if you can do it...get the Auto Tune!

PS: Install can be done without removing air box but personally I think its easier to just remove it. Again, what works for some may be different for others.

Spyder Garage

JB is old Tech, JB Pro was new tech (For our RSS in 2011 is was at least) and worked great. Nice kick in the pants improvement. Also ran the CanAm sport exhaust on it...

Yes, you do need to at least un-fasten the AirBox cleaner to do this install. Cannot remember why at the moment...

Heed the "Long fingers" comment. I had to pull out my 12" needle nose pliers , bent them ever so slightly, and was then able to get the right rear one on...

And please pay attention to the instructions and how the old one comes off (Pay specific attention to where the lip/tab is). As you will "Finally" get that sucker up in there to plug it in and it will not "Snap" on... Frustrating you. I had to get my "Pocket" magnifying glass and light up in there to see my mistake.. All to fight for another few moments until I could get a good enough grip on it to snap it on...

Keep in mind (Crusty memory now on this, so not factual until confirmed) at the time I did it, the 2011 model year changed and why I had to go with the pro model... The 2010 used the Standard model. This was around the same time they also stopped offering the four models of exhaust and went to just one option because the concision generated by the Rotax engine kept blowing the rivets out of the sides of their pipes...

Good luck with your choice!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    How about the noise? Is it noisier without the air box?
    It's a little noisier, but not by much. The exhaust is louder (even with the silencer tip in it) so the only way you hear the engine is if you have a lot of wind blocked and you're going fairly slow. I'm not a "loud pipes" guy, would love a super quiet bike (just a *cool sounding* super quiet bike), and I haven't found the air filter sound offensive.

I was considering just going with the green filter instead of the whole air box removal and doing baja rons pcv filter to eliminate the oil problem. I'm not crazy about putting the oil overflow line down the throttle bodies.
    That's a perfectly acceptable option, many folks do just that. That said, as noted above, to install the JB *Pro*, you'll need to take the airbox off anyways, so you may find that once it's off, you prefer it off. 'Tis up to you. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default JB

I have a PC5 in my 09 and run TWO Brothers Dual.. It's auto tuned and on occasions in the morining I'll get sputtering and a backfire... I installed the PC5 on the recommendations of the dealer. I have a new never installed JB. If your interested give me and offer... I'm in Sunrise, Fl therefore shipping is not and issue.

Godspeed
    BIOSAB

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb POWER COMMANDER with AUTO TUNE

Why not try this power commander with auto tune ,looking at the site seems less hassle to install and great tech support and might even be a dealer / installer in your area.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...emp%20input%29

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BioSab View Post
    I have a PC5 in my 09 and run TWO Brothers Dual.. It's auto tuned and on occasions in the morining I'll get sputtering and a backfire... I installed the PC5 on the recommendations of the dealer. I have a new never installed JB. If your interested give me and offer... I'm in Sunrise, Fl therefore shipping is not and issue.

Godspeed
    Is it the JB or JB Pro?

Spyder Garage

JB easy pusch button
    JB Pro computer programmer .talk shop, install before if not have the skillz very easy
    great feed back with pictures