Spyder Garage

Default LEDs made the limp mode message appear

my husband replaced the stock tail/brake lights with 1157 red led's. this caused the vss light and the dps malfuction lights to come on, which in turn created the limp mode home message. any suggestions on what would have caused this. he changed the lights back to the stock bulbs and the messages went away, cleared. what is your guys take on that?

Spyder Garage

Default Re: LEDs made the limp mode message appear

I think this bike has more things going on with the computer than most. It could have been a change in voltage that told the computer it had a problem. You did the right thing by putting it back to see if that fixed the problem. I'm not sure what we can and can not do with these these. All you can do is try things and see if it works or not. :

Spyder Garage

On many "smart" cycles, the computer monitors the lights for burned out bubs. To beat the system, you usually need to add a load equlizer. There are 2 types. One just adds resistance to offset the LEDs but these heat up. There is another type that is solid state and tricks the computer. Here is a link to Custom Dynamics, which sells a ton of LEDs for Harleys but handle all LEDs. This is for just one version of it. Hope this helps.

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadeq...0Turn%20Signal

Bob (still waiting for a May delivery)
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

The electrical circuts in this whole bike are monitored by the "Can Bus" System. Any change in load or current other than the stock parameters set into the system will cause these types of warnings.

My company (Street Magic Cycle Products) supplies Dave at Custom Dynamics with many of these type of load equalizers and Signal stabilizers. He is one of our biggest accounts and a very great guy to deal with. These heat type of load equalizers are not made for this type of Can Bus taillight system.

First these are a load to ground type made for turn signals that are not rated to run constant as in a tailight. If you were to try to run one of these here it would overheat and could cause a fire or at least melt some plastic! Also, the Can Bus system is not just looking for a load, but a specific load value. These load equalizers many not have enough, or could have too great of a load for this system. Not enough of a load and the the problem will still remain. Too great of a load, and depending on if the Can Bus has this current going through it or just monitors it you could send the Can Bus up in smoke if there is no internal fuse?

We have already looked into this problem weeks ago when designing our LED tailights and turn signals for this bike. When we have the units and solutions I will post the fix and units here.

Ride Safe
    Ev

[URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Yes, these Can- Bus system are real sensitive to loads so different brands of bulbs can do that. We are working on a non heat generating load stabilizer for these units. We have to first find out what parameters the Can-Bus is programed to look for in each lighting circut. We have a good amount of the preliminary testing done and hope to have a Spyder unit ready soon.

Ride Safe
    Ev
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

joet

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    Yes, these Can- Bus system are real sensitive to loads so different brands of bulbs can do that. We are working on a non heat generating load stabilizer for these units. We have to first find out what parameters the Can-Bus is programed to look for in each lighting circut. We have a good amount of the preliminary testing done and hope to have a Spyder unit ready soon.

Ride Safe
    Ev
    I am glad to see you two guys MM & EV that have the big brain & are actually doing some R&D before offering your mods to the public. I for one am going to just ride it the way BRP made it. nothing wrong with it in stock form, to many garage jockeys just ripping into it to make it "faster, better,improve this improve that etc etc" not for me. keep up the good work guys.