Spyder Garage

Default Question for 2 Spyder families

I'm posting this under the general forum and the RT forum, so please excuse the double post. Do the people with 2 spyders in the family (or even those with a bike and a ) use communication systems between their ? If so, what are you using? What do you like about the system? What don't you like (other than cost)? Thanks for responding.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

HG and I have CB's....J & M units...hard wired...no charging needed....love them
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 09-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Use Scala G4 on RT between rider and passenger and son's RS along with GPS and Cell. Have had no problems or complaints.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Default CARDO G4

We love our CARDO system. I ride the RT and hubby rides his HD. They make systems for half, full, and 3/4 helmets. Have never had a problem, been on 2 week long bike trips, the charge lasts all day (up to 8/9 hour rides) have never died on us. They make upgrades available on the computer when needed. They can also do Bluetooth, etc., but we don't utilize that option. Hope this helps...can't remember cost, have had them a few years.

PS.....prays for u and hubby....can't wait to follow your journey getting ur endorsement and finally riding ur new ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Until this year my husband and I just used hand signals to communicate but I was heading out on a 5 week trip and wanted to be able to communicate with the others in our group. I got the Scala G9 and it worked really well for me. It was great having music in the headset as the RT's radio isn't much good at highway speed. I used the Scala for music from Pandora and for GPS which would have been great but my phone was having issues. When I was with the group I was able to intercom one rider who I was "paired" with and she was able to call one rider also. We could then have a three way conversation.

We charged them each night and didn't have any problem with them running out of juice. The voice activation can be a little frustrating. When passing semis or if there was a big gust of wind or I coughed it would activate. I tried to make a few phone calls while riding and could only get it to dial the right person by saying the phone number. If I tried using the contact name it would always come back with someone else.

When I switched to cold weather gloves I had a little trouble finding the right buttons to push.

I give the Scala Rider G9 but I will say that I did not do any investigation into other systems before the trip. I bought the Scala because the others had different versions of Scala that were compatible with the G9. One couple on our trip had the cheapest version which only allowed them to communicate with one other rider and they only had about 1,000 feet of range and I don't think they could use their phones with them. I'd say don't go cheap or you won't be happy.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 09-17-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard some spotty reports about the G9...
    You're 100 percent happy?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am still using the "old" version of Scala 2's. They work fine bike to bike for about one block and a half distance--straight line of sight. We ride at 2 to 3 seconds distance--so it does not present a problem.

I tried the Scala 4's when they first came out--sent them back because I could not get them to work. Current information seems to be that they have the bugs out of the system now. These are supposed to communicate up to a mile apart and can be used up to four communicators.

Now Cardo has the new Scala 9's. I have heard of early difficulty to get them to work--but once through that--they work fine. Biggest complaint--poorly written instructions.

Sena gets a lot of press here and I am torn between replacing my 2's with either the 9's or Sena system.

Hope this information helps.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a set of SENA SMH10 Bluetooth and Headset system

Solo on my RT S - SE5 Model the Sena allows me to Listen to my on Board radio (I have connected up using Bluetooth)
    and My Zumo 660 for GPS and my Mobile Phone
    When my wife is on the back I use the intercom system as well as all the above
    If I Ride with a friend of mine (He also has a Sena SMH10 System) We used the system on a trip to Germany and they were
    excellent with a range of about 1/2 Mile as I did not want to get lost we tended to make sure we stayed well within the range

The good thing with the Sena system is the Firmware can be updated, If you are not talking to each other the music or GPS
    will cut back in
    Because the Sena SM10 is connected to the helmets they can be used on any motorcycle so no need to purchase other
    equipment
    Although they are battery powered they easly last all day and charging only take about 2 1/2 Hours

I can recomnend them

Eddie Sheppard

Spyder Garage

We use the G9. I agree with the fact that the instructions are a bit difficult to understand. Once we got the hang of how to use the intercom it worked great. The sound was very clear. The battery lasted our whole 7 hour trip to the BBQ but we did turn it off for extended stops such as for lunch etc. Didn't use he radio at all. When we rode two up for the Friday ride and used it it did have a slight echo effect. Other than that, I'd recommend it. Looked at the Sena but was leary of the short distance coverage.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Sny and I use the UClears and are happy with them. We are planning to buy the newer version that just came out this year at the next Motorcycle show in Chicago.
    Y Blue
    -Ruth K, Hoffman Estates IL

Spyder Garage

CB radio on ours. I installed the BRP unit on my RT & the J&M CASPY 2003 unit on my wife's GS. This allows us to talk to each other and also to others in our family who ride. Been using CB radios on my bikes since 1989.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly