Spyder Garage

Default Video- Spyder meets the Dragon

If you have 18 minutes of your life to waste you can watch a video of my run on The Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap).

The Spyder did great but it could have been a lot more fun if the safety factor could be adjusted out a little more. If I hit the turn as hard as I wanted to it felt like the brakes were applied. I seem to remember something about the timing being retarded and then the fuel being shut down if the wheels started to lift off the ground but this was more like you hit your brakes, it really pulled you down.

Other than that it was fun but just a little too safe for me. :

By the way that car I run up on toward the end was a cop :cop:

http://media.putfile.com/Spyder-on-Tail-of-the-Dragon

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Video- Spyder meets the Dragon

That was a rush. Thanks for the ride! Did you have any problem keping it in your lane? It made me want mine to bad. Dealer said they were producing them again and have moved al orders up. Hope so. PT ;D

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phillip
    That was a rush. Thanks for the ride! Did you have any problem keping it in your lane? It made me want mine to bad. Dealer said they were producing them again and have moved al orders up. Hope so. PT ;D
    I think I crossed the line a few times but it was no problem keeping it in the lane if I wanted to. It felt right at home on the twisties.

joet

what speeds were you at?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet
    what speeds were you at?
    More than the posted limit. It's funny that the video doesn't look like I'm going that fast, maybe because there's no lean. I was running in 3rd most of the time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    If you have 18 minutes of your life to waste you can watch a video of my run on The Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap).

The Spyder did great but it could have been a lot more fun if the safety factor could be adjusted out a little more. If I hit the turn as hard as I wanted to it felt like the brakes were applied. I seem to remember something about the timing being retarded and then the fuel being shut down if the wheels started to lift off the ground but this was more like you hit your brakes, it really pulled you down.

Other than that it was fun but just a little too safe for me. :

By the way that car I run up on toward the end was a cop :cop:

http://media.putfile.com/Spyder-on-Tail-of-the-Dragon
    I was kinda surprised that bike crawled away from you like it did.... Do you think if the VSS wasnt engaging so heavy you could have stayed with it? I only ask cuz i really figured this machine would be a corner huggin monster.
    Good stuff!!! Thanks for the video!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn
    I was kinda surprised that bike crawled away from you like it did.... Do you think if the VSS wasnt engaging so heavy you could have stayed with it? I only ask cuz i really figured this machine would be a corner huggin monster.
    Good stuff!!! Thanks for the video!
    I would have had a much better chance forsure. I felt like a dog on a leash :

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately the excessive presence of law enforcement lately, has made the dragon not a fun place to ride.

For more info just google tail of the dragon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tfjunkie
    Unfortunately the excessive presence of law enforcement lately, has made the dragon not a fun place to ride.

For more info just google tail of the dragon.
    True but the Dragon is more hype than anything. as you know we have some great roads to ride out here that are much better than the Gap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yep,
    Skyway....
    Devils triangle....
    And i am sure that the 4x4 and off road toy folks that see the spyder will contribute some nice locations as well.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the ride!!! Looking forward to actually getting mine and heading to North Carolina and the Arkansas Ozarks and get some time in on the twisty turnies. Was at my dealers on Friday and one of the sales folks told me about this site. (I was in there for another "demo" ride, since I can't ride mine yet. 8)) Am looking forward to sharing more videos, pics and stories with my fellow Spyder brothers and sisters.

Be safe out there!!!

Spyder Garage

Lamont, I have a silly question.......Were you wearing a helmet when riding? The only reason I ask is because I am getting a lot of grief from people telling me that I should wear a helmet when riding. I live in Illinois where there is NO helmet law, and I would prefer NOT to wear one, but I thought I would ask YOUR opinion on this matter.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin
    Lamont, I have a silly question.......Were you wearing a helmet when riding? The only reason I ask is because I am getting a lot of grief from people telling me that I should wear a helmet when riding. I live in Illinois where there is NO helmet law, and I would prefer NOT to wear one, but I thought I would ask YOUR opinion on this matter.

Derwin
    TN and NC have a helmet law. I love to ride without a helmet but I'm glad that I have to wear one here because I don't think I would if I didn't have to. It's a personal thing I guess and after a pretty bad wipeout back in 82 I can honestly say I wouldn't be here today if I didn't have my helmet on back then. Sounds like the people giving you grief just love you and want you to be around for a long time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

By all means wear your hard hat. I remember when I strted riding over 60 years ago, the only helmets you could get were from England. Shock Shell was the brand and were only a "pudding pot: with leather chin strap to hold it on. Better than nothing at all. Was rear ended a number of years ago and flipped back onto the hood of the taxi that had hit me. My next stop was the windshield which I broke with my helmet. The driver than applied the brakes which fired my sorry butt off the hood into the street. A few lumps and sore spots, but no permanent damage. Totaled the bike, but I walked away from it. The helmet saved my life, I am convinced.

Jack H.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I am sure there are hundreds or even thousands of stories like yours. Helmets, like seat belts, absolutely save lives, but I just don't like wearing either one of them! I guess when I get the Spyder and ride it a few times, then I'll determine if I want to wear a helmet. But, either way, I am still glad that I live in a state that gives me the freedom to CHOOSE. Thanks.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

I live in Wisconsin where we can choose. I chose to wear one so my son would get the idea that it was a good idea. When he was old enough an bought his own bike, he actually wore one. When the Toyota RAV ran the stop sign and my son's head went through the passenger's window, he was glad he had it on. So was I. He got up and walked away. His bike was broken in two. I decided that my wearing it may also act as an example for others who enter my life. Sorry for the philosophy.

Bob (freezing in Wisconsin)
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I live in Wisconsin where we can choose. I chose to wear one so my son would get the idea that it was a good idea. When he was old enough an bought his own bike, he actually wore one. When the Toyota RAV ran the stop sign and my son's head went through the passenger's window, he was glad he had it on. So was I. He got up and walked away. His bike was broken in two. I decided that my wearing it may also act as an example for others who enter my life. Sorry for the philosophy.

Bob (freezing in Wisconsin)
    And is your sons handle "lucky2" ?