Spyder Garage

Default High pitched noise when shifting

We have an RT Limited 2011. Has anyone else noticed a very high pitched noise at the very second of shifting? It's not loud and husband can't even hear it. But, it's brief, just long enough as the shift process lasts, and I hear it with or without helmet, as passenger or driver, with or without trailer, and even using reverse.

I first noticed it during our trip to WI and can't recall hearing it before. But now I hear it almost every time the bike shifts.
    2016 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, I do not have that with mine.

If it were me... I would have it checked-out before going to many more miles.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

It's on my list when I take it in in the next week or so. Just thought I'd ask here and see if anyone else noticed this or had any ideas about it.
    2016 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hear it on mine too. I haven't worried about it, because it sounds like the whine I've heard from other electronic actuators / motors...

Spyder Garage

I hear it too but only when I have our wireless communication sets on and when connected to our Sirius satellite radio. Otherwise I hear nothing but the wiiiind!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You wanna hear something scary?? Throw the radio (OEM radio) on "AM" band; crank it up and have a good listen to it as you run up through the gears...

I've not noticed the noise that you're describing, but I'll try turning the FM down and listen for it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hear the same 'tone' when shifting; although I've not heard it without my helmet on. I spoke to my dealer about it last year when I started hearing it, but they weren't able to figure out what it was and it's not annoying enough to push to issue with them, so I live with it - for now. I've been told by others on this forum that it's the shift selanoid frequency. I have the J&M headset and a friend who has the BRP headset said she doesn't hear anything, so it could be the brand of headset being used.

Spyder Garage

Default Its the Shift Solenoids

BRP has admitted that there is a fault with the comms/audio system and shift solenoids (SE5)which create an interference. This can be heard without the headsets if you have good hearing, which you obviously have seeing as you picked it up. If you have headsets(doesnt matter which brand) it is exacerbated as it puts it right into your ear. BRP has known of this problem since 2010 and are really dragging the chain on getting a solution for this issue. The manufacturer of the unit has not been consulted on this issue. They believe that it is a grounding issue and should not be rocket science to figure it out. Currently in discussion with BRP OZ in relation to a fix date, however they cant even advise if BRP are taking this issue seriously. A dealer notification was put on their internal dealer only forum advising that they know of it. Noting that BRP troll this forum or maybe even Lamont may be able to provide an update of why it is taking so long to get a fix on this issue. Till then we suffer from yet another idosynchrasy.
    Robby

Spyder Garage

Default I WAS hoping...

that it was just the sound of the SuperCharger!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post
    that it was just the sound of the SuperCharger!
    Giddy-up!
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Gads, sorry I took so long to get back to this thread. I haven't even gotten around to taking it in, but I'll surely mention it when I do.

I'm not particularly worried about it. It's just barely noticeable, but it is there.

A big thanks to all who offered insight.

We use Cardos for our comm system. But, I've heard it with and without helmet, with the comm on and with it off. Right now we've pulled our comm system out and it's back at the manufacturer, so on my last few rides, I've had no headset with my helmet and still heard it. We do use satellite radio, though, and let it play through the bike's speakers. I haven't checked to see if I hear it when the sat radio is off. That is something I could try.

We'll likely be out this weekend on it, and I'll test it when the sat radio is off.
    2016 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'll be "All Ears" to hear what you heard...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default It shouldnt be there

Even if it is only faint and a slight embuggerance - it shouldnt be there. We pay through the nose for this "genuine" article and it performs at a substandard level. If it was an aftermarket part not quite right, well then you could probably live with it, however this is a genuine part supplied by the manufacturer (albeit from a third party). The third party provides these same/similar systems to other major manufacturers and appear to know what they are doing. We as customers should be at the very least provided with an acknowledgement of the issue and then an approx fix time for this issue or if they are even going to provide a fix. Good communication alleviates a hell of a lot of customer angst. Again, I request BRP or Lamonster(who has the ear of BRP) to chime in with at the very least an offering of information which could allay the frustration that this issue causes. It is not good enough to just put up with it. You wouldnt put up with it if it was a rolls royce etc.

Spyder Garage

Robby, I am going to ask my dealer about it. They are Lamont's dealer, too and really good guys. I'm sure if Lamont had time he'd chime in, but he's got his hands full right now with his son. This noise isn't a priority, not even for me. *LOL* I just wanted to know if I was the only one who has it or heard it. It certainly doesn't affect performance that I can tell.

When my jury duty service is over at the end of the month (finally!) I'll get a chance to take it in.

We had it out today and really ran it through its paces chasing a friend on a Ducati through the mountains. Had a great time. And I did hear it when the sat radio was off.
    2016 RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Any Update ???

Gday Catastrophe,
    Have you had an opportunity for it to be looked at yet ?

Robby