Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Extended Protection

I know this has been talked about many times but this time it's my money so I have to ask again, Given there's been more members
    that have used extended warranties now than a couple years ago.
    My dealer wants to sale me for about $800.00 5 years with $.0 deductible warranty from Western Service Contract. This would
    allow me to have work done at any motorcycle shop and just not Can-Am dealers. In an emergency this might be okay.
    BEST is one that most have gotten on this forum and they seem to be happy. Only its 3 years and not 5 years like WSC.
    Hey, I just want to revisit this topic and see what others have seen out of these two protection plans, have they paid the bills,
    not fixed items that should have been fixed.
    Hopefully I can make the right choice and can be spared the same heartaches. Thanks for your time!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get 5 year's worth of BEST coverage. In fact, that's what it is-- it adds 2 years to your 3 year mfr warranty.

That said, in hindsight, I'm not entirely sure that I'd bother with it again. I haven't used it, obviously it's only valuable IF you need it, but reading the horror stories here, I'm unsure whether it's worth the trouble, especially if-- like me-- you modify all sorts of things on the bike. I have little faith that no matter what's wrong with my bike, the combo of BRP and the dealers would find a way to say the warranty didn't apply because of something I've done to it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool, that's what I'm looking for. Pro's and Con's on these warranties. But just so we are on the same page bro, this warranty is 5 extra years of coverage on top of factory 2 years. So it makes a total of 7 years. But like you said it could be 30 years if they never pay.

Spyder Garage

Its insurance...nothing more, nothing less.... Only you can decide...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
    Cool, that's what I'm looking for. Pro's and Con's on these warranties. But just so we are on the same page bro, this warranty is 5 extra years of coverage on top of factory 2 years. So it makes a total of 7 years. But like you said it could be 30 years if they never pay.
    Ahhh, didn't grasp that from your post, made it sound like 5 years total. That's a good deal... again, IF the warranty comes through when you need it.

Spyder Garage

Have you ever owned a vehicle for five years?

I traded my '10 RT on a '12 and fully expect to be riding a '14.

None of my other motorcycles were kept more than two years at most.

I trade cars every two years but have held on for three a few times.

So, to me it depends on my long range plans... five or seven year warranties are not in that picture.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a very good point. As of now I'd be looking at keeping mine for a couple more years. So, yes I'm thinking I should have some type of insurance on major breakdowns. And that's why I ask those that also have an extended warranty are they working for you or against you. And what company are good fellows or bad. I want to put my money where it works. I can't go out and buy one every two years. Thanks again
    Last edited by rcdurango; 09-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe today because of the economic conditions, most people are holding on to their vehicles longer. I have a tendancy to keep my vehicles a long time. I still have my '97 Ranger. I don't normally purchase extended warranties. However, due to the problems I read about with some of the spyders, I purchased the standard 3 yr BEST warranty. Hopefully, I'll never need it buts it there if I do. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    You can get 5 year's worth of BEST coverage. In fact, that's what it is-- it adds 2 years to your 3 year mfr warranty.

That said, in hindsight, I'm not entirely sure that I'd bother with it again. I haven't used it, obviously it's only valuable IF you need it, but reading the horror stories here, I'm unsure whether it's worth the trouble, especially if-- like me-- you modify all sorts of things on the bike. I have little faith that no matter what's wrong with my bike, the combo of BRP and the dealers would find a way to say the warranty didn't apply because of something I've done to it.
    Correction::::it adds 3 Years to your 2 Year Mfg Warranty

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Have you ever owned a vehicle for five years?

I traded my '10 RT on a '12 and fully expect to be riding a '14.

None of my other motorcycles were kept more than two years at most.

I trade cars every two years but have held on for three a few times.

So, to me it depends on my long range plans... five or seven year warranties are not in that picture.
    It could help the sale price later on if you still had a warranty on it!

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I purchased an "Extended Protection" for my '08 GS a couple of years ago HOPING that I would never have to use it. Well... one day I noticed an unusual vibration coming from below my left foot. After stopping at a stop sign and jumping off to do some investigation, I was horrified to find that the drive belt was running off the drive sprocket and wearing a hole in the aluminum case of the motor.
    Oil was everywhere.... Ok at least I have my "Extended Protection" right???? WRONG.. after getting it to a dealer to diagnose the problem, they (the Extended Protection company) came to the conclusion that the bolt that holds on the drive sprocket came loose which caused the belt to drift in to the case. This by the way was MY FAULT because I didn't have the bolt checked for correct torque.
    At the end of the day they refused to pay one red cent for the repair.
    Now I don't know if it would have been any different under the BEST warranty but I for one will NEVER purchase a 3rd party protection plan on a SPyder ever again!!!!!!
    Just my two cents!!
    Good luck with your decision.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here we go....

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Correction::::it adds 3 Years to your 2 Year Mfg Warranty

BEST is three more years on your 2 years. But the one that my dealer is wanting to sell is 5 years additional to the 2 years of factory. I asked that same question more than once to my dealer. Its the Concept Plan from WSC (Western Service Contract) backed by McGrawDirect Insurance Co. But no matter how many years it is, what I don't know is do they pay the bills. Or do they find reasons not to pay. I was thinking that maybe someone has been a customer of theirs and could answer that question. I've been looking online for reviews on both and haven't came up with anything yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    It could help the sale price later on if you still had a warranty on it!

Thank you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    I purchased an "Extended Protection" for my '08 GS a couple of years ago HOPING that I would never have to use it. Well... one day I noticed an unusual vibration coming from below my left foot. After stopping at a stop sign and jumping off to do some investigation, I was horrified to find that the drive belt was running off the drive sprocket and wearing a hole in the aluminum case of the motor.
    Oil was everywhere.... Ok at least I have my "Extended Protection" right???? WRONG.. after getting it to a dealer to diagnose the problem, they (the Extended Protection company) came to the conclusion that the bolt that holds on the drive sprocket came loose which caused the belt to drift in to the case. This by the way was MY FAULT because I didn't have the bolt checked for correct torque.
    At the end of the day they refused to pay one red cent for the repair.
    Now I don't know if it would have been any different under the BEST warranty but I for one will NEVER purchase a 3rd party protection plan on a SPyder ever again!!!!!!
    Just my two cents!!
    Good luck with your decision.
    thank you! would you remember the name of that insurance co?

Spyder Garage

It is XtraRide Powersports from Protective.

thank you! would you remember the name of that insurance co?

Spyder Garage

I was thinking that maybe someone has been a customer of theirs and could answer that question. I've been looking online for reviews on both and haven't came up with anything yet.
    There's probably a reason you cant find anything!!!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

If you had enough faith in a company to buy their product. Why would you not buy the warranty they offer. There's no guess work. You know what it will cost, how long it's for, and they are very clear about what it will cover. Plus, it guarantees your Spyder will always go to an authorized dealer. jmo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if a warrantee would be worth a plug nickel if you took your Spyder to a Yamaha dealer for service. No Buds, no special tools, no shop manual and no parts or knowledge of where to get them. Yeah you won't have to pay for the repair but it will take forever to get your bike back and who knows what damage they did working on it. I'd stick with BEST for three additional years. The technology is changing so fast that in five years you will most likely have a new RZ (the model after the new ST)!

Spyder Garage

I bought the Best mainly for the towing and used it once. At the time i didn't know there were other sources for just towing or I'd have gone that route and presumably saved a bunch, although I got a good price on the 3 year extended (so called 5 year) for about $600.

I notice in other threads mention made to AAA RV towing; whats the ballpark cost of that? A friend is riding her 12' RT across country and that seems like something she aught to consider.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BEST is probably the better warranty to get on a Spyder as it/they are partnered with BRP. BEST isn't just about bringing your warranty to 5 years, but also adds towing for the full five year term if you buy the full 5 years of warranty.

When I bought BEST I compared against AAA, and found that AAA on the bike was going to be expensive (RV coverage) and over the term of the BEST warranty and towing, was going to cost near the same... So BEST was the better solution from a financial perspective.

I tend to pay off my vehicles and keep them a long time. I do not typically get extended warranties on my cars or trucks even though I keep them ten + years. The Spyder however was different, and I expected more repairs due to the nature of the machine and the beating it takes. I will not keep my Spyder for ten years, but will for the full warranty term and maybe a year or two at most after.

There is a spyder owner on FaceBook right now that bought a 2008 used in 2011 that was already out of warranty and has a bad VCM or DPS... Dealer he bought from quoted him $1800 parts and labor. He can't afford the repair. Who's fault is it? BRP? The Dealer? or the owner for not buying some sort of maintenance/warranty package if one was offered like they sometimes are on a used vehicle? In the end, it is his responsibility. If you can't afford long term ownership, you probably shouldn't have bought it. I hate to say that as we all love to ride and love our spyders and the friendships it has brought us.

I digress... BEST warranty is probably the best option given that is the one BRP pimps... Probably less likely to give you any hassles and at least you can escalate to BRP who may help you. Any other warranty provider will just be ignored by them.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

Richard, Len at Cowtown offers extended warranties. Give him a call and ask him what he recommends.
    800-258-6898 or 573-885-6300

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    BEST is probably the better warranty to get on a Spyder as it/they are partnered with BRP. BEST isn't just about bringing your warranty to 5 years, but also adds towing for the full five year term if you buy the full 5 years of warranty.

When I bought BEST I compared against AAA, and found that AAA on the bike was going to be expensive (RV coverage) and over the term of the BEST warranty and towing, was going to cost near the same... So BEST was the better solution from a financial perspective.

I tend to pay off my vehicles and keep them a long time. I do not typically get extended warranties on my cars or trucks even though I keep them ten + years. The Spyder however was different, and I expected more repairs due to the nature of the machine and the beating it takes. I will not keep my Spyder for ten years, but will for the full warranty term and maybe a year or two at most after.

There is a spyder owner on FaceBook right now that bought a 2008 used in 2011 that was already out of warranty and has a bad VCM or DPS... Dealer he bought from quoted him $1800 parts and labor. He can't afford the repair. Who's fault is it? BRP? The Dealer? or the owner for not buying some sort of maintenance/warranty package if one was offered like they sometimes are on a used vehicle? In the end, it is his responsibility. If you can't afford long term ownership, you probably shouldn't have bought it. I hate to say that as we all love to ride and love our spyders and the friendships it has brought us.

I digress... BEST warranty is probably the best option given that is the one BRP pimps... Probably less likely to give you any hassles and at least you can escalate to BRP who may help you. Any other warranty provider will just be ignored by them.
    Thank you! Those are the type of replies I was hoping to get back. I was hoping to learn what others have done and their
    experiences with warranties that others have.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey Kev!

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    Richard, Len at Cowtown offers extended warranties. Give him a call and ask him what he recommends.
    Where have you and Joanie been? Haven't seen much of you guys. If you can, come join us at the end of the month on the Kentucky ride. Give me IM if your interested. I know some of the MOGang will be coming. I think you would like this one.

I think Len might just be a good way to look for answers too. Thanks
    Last edited by rcdurango; 09-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I bought the Best mainly for the towing and used it once. At the time i didn't know there were other sources for just towing or I'd have gone that route and presumably saved a bunch, although I got a good price on the 3 year extended (so called 5 year) for about $600.

I notice in other threads mention made to AAA RV towing; whats the ballpark cost of that? A friend is riding her 12' RT across country and that seems like something she aught to consider.
    Make sure you talk to an AAA supervisor and have them personally tell you AAA tows Spyders in your state?
    In CT I was told Yes--Then when I went higher up the supervisor said they NO Longer Tow Trike Type Spyders in CT!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    I talked to Len at Cowtown and with much thought I decided to go with BEST extended warranty. Len was very honest and helpful.
    Thanks Len at Cowtown! Hope I never need it.