Thread: warm up time

Spyder Garage

Default warm up time

How long should I let it warm up after starting it before I ride

Spyder Garage

Start and go.
    The most warm up I give mine is the amount of time it takes for me to put my gloves on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I let it run until the idle speed settles down to its normal 1400 rpm. It usually takes maybe 10 seconds...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

During a warm day I can just get up and go, but I find mine runs much better after I let it warm up to one bar, especially on a cooler day/morning. I just start it up, then by the time I'm geared up/done with my pre-ride inspection, I can get on the bike and go.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I let mine warm up about 60 seconds. I'm a professional pilot and have seen studies that indicate that the major cause of premature aircraft engine failure is low oil pressure on initial start up and warm up. Motorcycle engines tend to be high performance and similar to aircraft engines and are generally under a lot strain. I treat my motorcycle engines like aircraft engines. I have never had a engine mechanical problem in my almost 50 years of driving.

I also use Amsoil in all my for stroke engines.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I let it run until the idle speed settles down to its normal 1400 rpm. It usually takes maybe 10 seconds...

Same here. I typically fire it up and let it run for a minute while I gear up.

Once I jump on, its sitting around 1300-1400 RPM idle, and it seems to run great from there.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

In the summer just a few seconds, In the cold weather Maybe a minute and then i drive off slow for a short distance till it warms up. I never put a load on any engine [oil] that's cold.

Spyder Garage

Default warm up

i was told to wait a minimum of 45 seconds to allow the computer to do its thing and idle down the rpms from start up