Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster BBQ 2012- Best Ever?

I got to tell you I had no idea how this was going to shake out from beginning to end but I am pleasantly pleased with the outcome. Although we didn't have the numbers we did last year we had a 3 day event and each day went well. I would say we had between 150 and 200 Spyders pass through and a good mix of bikes and trikes too not to mention cages. The folks were so friendly and helpful that there were many things that I didn't have to deal with because they just took charge and made it happen. I can't even tell you what a load that took off of me because I was pretty much at max capacity. You guys did a great job on the cleanup and I really had very little to do after you all were gone. Thanks again for your help.

Day 1 Work Day
    Not sure how many were there for work day because I was working and didn't have time to count but my guess was 100 or so. I changed oil and did service on a couple of RT's and did quite a few installs of NBV's. BajaRon did at least one swaybar that I know of and a couple of plugwire sets. SteveMac was installing Elka's like a wildman and helping folks with other suspension issues. I think he installed 18 sets of shocks that day. SpyderPops was installing bumpskid plates and heat management kits and Diamond R kept busy installing racks and armrest. Joe and Reggi from Tricled sold out of product the first hour and spent the rest of the day installing fender lights. There was other stuff going on too but I didn't get to see it all. I would say work day was a huge success and couldn't have gone much better. Could have been a little cooler but at least it wasn't raining.

I got to add that having the Live video going during the Work Day and BBQ really was great. Folks would be talking back home to friends and family and they were watching them on the video. That was just too cool!

You can see all the Work Day pics here
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=807ee23efb
    Post from Work Day http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-from-work-day

Day 2 Ride Day
    I'll be honest with you right now, I hate group rides for the most part. As it's been put many times "it's like trying to herd cats". I was looking forward to the ride especially after that work day but I wasn't looking forward to leading such a large group of riders. This was the first time I ever organized the ride and lead it, normally I have folks in the group that do that for me. This year I was on my own but I did have a good idea of what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it. I wasn't sure if it was going to work or not but I did have a plan and had to make up a few things as we went.

The plan was to meet at the BP at 9:00am and take off at 9:15am. That went better than expected because a fellow Spyder rider showed up in his Sheriff Patrol car and called the local PD to help block traffic for us so we could all leave the parking lot together. That was a real blessing and the next time I'll make arrangements to do the same instead of just getting lucky that someone had my back. I heard the Spyder count in the parking lot was 91-96 so pick a number you like and go with it. Whatever it was it was a bunch of us and it sure did look cool going down the road out of Greeneville.

Our first stop was Hot Springs NC and that's where we broke into groups. We had a "Spirited" group and a "taking it easy" group. This really made the ride a pleasure for all of us. I think breaking it into groups like that is the only way to go. You all meet at the same place before your next stop and everyone is together when you leave for the next leg of the ride. That part couldn't have gone better I don't think.

From there we went to Maggie Valley and stopped at Wheels Through Time. They were ready for us and we pretty much filled the parking lot with Spyders. Everyone seemed to enjoy the museum and Dale and his crew were great host as always.

Now here's an idea that just came to me while we were there and that was to give everyone a couple of hours to see the museum and then eat and fuel up on their own. That worked way better that 90+ people pulling into the same restaurant and fuel station and try to get out of there quickly. This idea and braking into the groups really worked well for any of you that are planing a large ride like this.

Not all of us went to Deals Gap at the same time but we still had a pretty large group. It was a perfect day weather wise and breaking it up the way we did made the time go by pretty fast. The group that finished with me didn't get back into town till after 9pm so it was a very long day. I didn't plan enough time for our stops so it did go way longer than I thought it would but we all still had a great day.

You can see all the Ride Day pics here
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7bafc2e05b
    Post from Ride Day
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-BBQ-Ride-Day

Day 3 BBQ day!
    That whole week I had been watching the weather and I knew that Thursday and Friday were going to be good but Saturday was calling for 40% chance of rain at the beginning and then it went to 60% and by Friday it was up to 80%. I was still hoping for the 20% chance it wasn't going to rain. I know the rain scared off a bunch of folks and I can't say I blame them but for most of the day it didn't rain at all. It really started raining right after we started serving everyone so we all had to seek cover but I had just enough cover for everyone to stay dry, mostly. We still had a large group and I didn't get a count but my guess was we fed 150 or so. The BBQ was great as always and so was the cake. Some folks took off in the rain and some folks waited it out but all said they had a good time. Once again without you all jumping in and helping I would have blown a gasket.

This year I didn't ask for any vendor donations because last year we really had too many and it took way too long to get through all the giveaway items. Even so Pete from Power Sports Wraps had about $700.00 worth of stuff he sent with Spike to give out at the BBQ including Lamonster BBQ 2012 stickers. I thought that was really cool of him to do that and I appreciate Spike taking the bull by the horns on that one. Thanks guys.

Now I wasn't going to share this but it was just too cool not to. My wife (The Boss) counted up all the receipts for my expenses and then counted up all the donations and we are exactly $2.19 to the good on this event. Now I don't know how that worked out but it just goes to show you that you can do something like this and trust that it will all workout in the end. My guess is I'll do this again next year the weekend after Labor Day but that's a year down the road and things can change. I'm just glad this went as well as it did and there is no way I could have pulled it off without you all. Thanks again

Pics from the BBQ
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8428316&type=3

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we had a GREAT time...even in the rain....a little rain never hurt anyone.....thanks for all y'all do

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a great time, even though I could only make Saturday, and the better half couldn't make it. I wish I could have been there for Tech day, since this is all so new to me, and I need to learn so much.

Thanks for all you do for the Spyder community, Lamont!! Definately top notch!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I had a great time, even though I could only make Saturday, and the better half couldn't make it. I wish I could have been there for Tech day, since this is all so new to me, and I need to learn so much.

Thanks for all you do for the Spyder community, Lamont!! Definately top notch!
    I've been to numerous biker events over the years but I've got to say that what Lamont and Chris does for this annual event far exceeds others when it comes to the enjoyment factor..Spyderlovers would probably exist if Lamont hadn't started it, but it wouldn't be close when it comes to the dedication that they put into supporting this forum and making it pleasureable. Spyder riders are unique for sure...not the typical biker crowd...We're unique ya know?..Anyway..Thanks to Lamont and the Boss...The vendors and folks who helped with the wrenching...On a side note...My RS ran like a champion the whole way down and back..It was purring on the intersate, thru all sorts of riding conditions...One of the best rides I've ever done when it comes to the enjoyment factor...Hat's off to all...I had a terrific time...Larry

Spyder Garage

We had a great time as well.. This was our first year to attend the BBQ an we will be bk next year. Thanks so much for the fun weekend.

Spyder Garage

I also had a great time! Was great to see spyder friends again and to meet some new spyder friends! The ride that Lamont did was great! My new favorite road is the Rattler (Route 209) in TN.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Lamont,

I've been to all but the first BBQ in 08 and they have all been awesome. I'm sure we'll all debate what to do next year, but I personally will lead a ride up to the Snake or else ware.

As for the rain...You can't always go by forecast. The ride home East to Charlotte over the mountains wasn't all that wet. Only 20 miles of rain, followed by a few miles here and there of sprinkles the rest of the way home.

Thank you for opening your property to all of us and giving us a place to just plain hang out, get to know each other, get to know you and the Boss and share our common passion of riding. (Can't thank you enough for welding my fender )

I just picked up my toy hauler so that means next year Leah and wife Terri are coming along as they are dieing to meet everyone.

I don't know you personally Lamont other than here on the forum, and in passing at your BBQ or events, but I love you man - You are one fine human being.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Again an excellent write up, loved both videos, thought that dog in the second video was for sure gonna get run over chasing that side- car

I watched about an hour worth of the ustream video each day and that was so cool. Hoping I can make next year

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been reading spyderlovers since my first test ride in April. Then in June I got my RT. I read all about spyderlovers events, and never quite understood what it was all about, but after this past weekend at Lamont's, I understand perfectly now! What a class act you guys are! Lamont, you are unbelievable, I'm going be like you when I grow up! haaaaa!
    Thanks for everything, I can't wait for the next "event". I will be there if humanly possible.
    Growing to love everybody on this forum!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lamont,
    WOW, Looks like it was a GREAT event!
    I will have to add it to my Spyder Vacation list for 2013.

-George
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks like it was a blast! Hope we can make it next year!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It was a great success.First day was great.I got all Spyderpops stuff taken care of,I also got lights from Tricled and learnt some about the RT watching you.
    Second day awesome riding with 90 Spyders.3rd day BBQ.It didn't matter it rained.We met a lot of nice people and had a great day.
    We really appreciate Lamont how you and your family opened your home.
    It was our 1st Spyder event and we thank you.
    Ivor

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default sorry that i didn't make it

had plans to attend barbeque, coming down blue ridge parkway, then home the x-way. watching the weather, it looked like the east coast was going to be socked in all week. sorry, that i didn't give it a try anyway, am very happy the attendance was good and that everyone had a great time!

Spyder Garage

This was my 4th consecutive Lamont BBQ in a row (yeah...I know what consecutive means!). I loved it!

I had a great time talking to and meeting other SpyderLovers. I even hung around with WackyDan...whom I'm sure most of you would like to avoid!

It was weird riding with a guy named "Dan" who has a Full Moon Spyder...and it wasn't Firefly. (I think he thinks I cheated on him! )

Next year! I've already requested the time off at work!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

This was Hubby's first time to Lamont's BBQ. For so long, he couldn't understand the reason to ride far and wide to meet up with my Spyder friends. Now he does.

On tech day, I caught up with old friends and made new ones while Hubby did our laundry which was way over due.

On the ride day, he was overwhelmed with the number of Spyders that showed up at the starting point. To his surprise, he caught up with old friends and made new ones. He was very impressed with the friendliness and openness of those around us. The ride was awesome!

He was in a bit of a quandary about why I wanted to get to the BBQ at 10:00 when it started at 2:00. You got it! Pretty soon he was chatting and kicking tires with the best of them. To be in such a picturesque setting, is the cherry on the cake.

Lamont, all three days of the BBQ were great! Thanks you for hosting it for us!! After Hubby got to meet you, he now understands what an upright, genuine person you are.

p.s. Maybe next year we can have another table rolling contest?
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Great event as always . Thanks Lamont and all that made this a primo event.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Yep! It was a great 5 days for us, we traveled Wednesday as did several others. Again, I want to thank Lamont for taking the time to show me how to do an oil change (that's me in the picture above). Group rides can be , and dangerous and one person will have a of a time trying to control that many riders (no offence to you Lamont) I'm speaking from experience as we do many group rides throughout the year. Lamonts idea of breaking up into smaller groups is good. With a large group such as what we had, it would work better. Experienced group ride leaders with maps/GPS can take smaller groups and we all can meet at designated way points. That takes the burden off of one person. Who knows, maybe by next year I might even have GPS on my RT. I have to recover from this years spending first Several of us got seperated from the main group on the Parkway. We ended up going through the Nantahala Gorge, what an absolutly gorgeous area. We didn't get to the Dragon until around 5:00 and got back to the motel right at 10:00. I have to agree with Spyder Dude, 209 is a fun road, we did it last year at the owners event and was looking forward to it this year. I'll take it over the Dragon any day. I was actually disappointed in the Dragon. Guess I'll have to try it on two. Oh, and the rain on Saturday just made for a more intimate gathering. I'll shut up now.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I was actually disappointed in the Dragon. Guess I'll have to try it on two.
    You were going too slow!

Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I don't know, I thought 60 was pretty fast!!! And if you believe that I have some great investment opportunities I'd like to talk to you about.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I don't know, I thought 60 was pretty fast!!! And if you believe that I have some great investment opportunities I'd like to talk to you about.
    I'm looking for ocean-front property around the Denver area. Climate change should make that available in a couple years!

Sorry...I didn't mean to get your hopes up...I'll have to pass since the end of the world is this year...12/21/2012...!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is just a small thank you to Lamont and Chris for having/tolerating all of us for three days straight. Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am so jealous!! I hope we can make it next year! this looks like so much fun!!

Spyder Garage

Default Who has the new Banner?

It sure sounds like you all had a great time. I wish I could have been there, but work and family commitments don't allow me to get away very far at this time. I hope to go hopefully next year though. Anyhow, in one of the posts I see there was a new banner to hand off. Where is that banner at this time? The last time it made it my way in southern Vermont. I would like to organize a "Banner Fall Foliage Run" in northern Vermont this time if it is possible. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

We rode 209 in June, bet it was much better behind Lamont, what a class act he is.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I got to tell you I had no idea how this was going to shake out from beginning to end but I am pleasantly pleased with the outcome. Although we didn't have the numbers we did last year we had a 3 day event and each day went well. I would say we had between 150 and 200 Spyders pass through and a good mix of bikes and trikes too not to mention cages. The folks were so friendly and helpful that there were many things that I didn't have to deal with because they just took charge and made it happen. I can't even tell you what a load that took off of me because I was pretty much at max capacity. You guys did a great job on the cleanup and I really had very little to do after you all were gone. Thanks again for your help.

Day 1 Work Day
    Not sure how many were there for work day because I was working and didn't have time to count but my guess was 100 or so. I changed oil and did service on a couple of RT's and did quite a few installs of NBV's. BajaRon did at least one swaybar that I know of and a couple of plugwire sets. SteveMac was installing Elka's like a wildman and helping folks with other suspension issues. I think he installed 18 sets of shocks that day. SpyderPops was installing bumpskid plates and heat management kits and Diamond R kept busy installing racks and armrest. Joe and Reggi from Tricled sold out of product the first hour and spent the rest of the day installing fender lights. There was other stuff going on too but I didn't get to see it all. I would say work day was a huge success and couldn't have gone much better. Could have been a little cooler but at least it wasn't raining.

I got to add that having the Live video going during the Work Day and BBQ really was great. Folks would be talking back home to friends and family and they were watching them on the video. That was just too cool!

You can see all the Work Day pics here
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=807ee23efb
    Post from Work Day http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-from-work-day

Day 2 Ride Day
    I'll be honest with you right now, I hate group rides for the most part. As it's been put many times "it's like trying to herd cats". I was looking forward to the ride especially after that work day but I wasn't looking forward to leading such a large group of riders. This was the first time I ever organized the ride and lead it, normally I have folks in the group that do that for me. This year I was on my own but I did have a good idea of what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it. I wasn't sure if it was going to work or not but I did have a plan and had to make up a few things as we went.

The plan was to meet at the BP at 9:00am and take off at 9:15am. That went better than expected because a fellow Spyder rider showed up in his Sheriff Patrol car and called the local PD to help block traffic for us so we could all leave the parking lot together. That was a real blessing and the next time I'll make arrangements to do the same instead of just getting lucky that someone had my back. I heard the Spyder count in the parking lot was 91-96 so pick a number you like and go with it. Whatever it was it was a bunch of us and it sure did look cool going down the road out of Greeneville.

Our first stop was Hot Springs NC and that's where we broke into groups. We had a "Spirited" group and a "taking it easy" group. This really made the ride a pleasure for all of us. I think breaking it into groups like that is the only way to go. You all meet at the same place before your next stop and everyone is together when you leave for the next leg of the ride. That part couldn't have gone better I don't think.

From there we went to Maggie Valley and stopped at Wheels Through Time. They were ready for us and we pretty much filled the parking lot with Spyders. Everyone seemed to enjoy the museum and Dale and his crew were great host as always.

Now here's an idea that just came to me while we were there and that was to give everyone a couple of hours to see the museum and then eat and fuel up on their own. That worked way better that 90+ people pulling into the same restaurant and fuel station and try to get out of there quickly. This idea and braking into the groups really worked well for any of you that are planing a large ride like this.

Not all of us went to Deals Gap at the same time but we still had a pretty large group. It was a perfect day weather wise and breaking it up the way we did made the time go by pretty fast. The group that finished with me didn't get back into town till after 9pm so it was a very long day. I didn't plan enough time for our stops so it did go way longer than I thought it would but we all still had a great day.

You can see all the Ride Day pics here
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7bafc2e05b
    Post from Ride Day
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-BBQ-Ride-Day

Day 3 BBQ day!
    That whole week I had been watching the weather and I knew that Thursday and Friday were going to be good but Saturday was calling for 40% chance of rain at the beginning and then it went to 60% and by Friday it was up to 80%. I was still hoping for the 20% chance it wasn't going to rain. I know the rain scared off a bunch of folks and I can't say I blame them but for most of the day it didn't rain at all. It really started raining right after we started serving everyone so we all had to seek cover but I had just enough cover for everyone to stay dry, mostly. We still had a large group and I didn't get a count but my guess was we fed 150 or so. The BBQ was great as always and so was the cake. Some folks took off in the rain and some folks waited it out but all said they had a good time. Once again without you all jumping in and helping I would have blown a gasket.

This year I didn't ask for any vendor donations because last year we really had too many and it took way too long to get through all the giveaway items. Even so Pete from Power Sports Wraps had about $700.00 worth of stuff he sent with Spike to give out at the BBQ including Lamonster BBQ 2012 stickers. I thought that was really cool of him to do that and I appreciate Spike taking the bull by the horns on that one. Thanks guys.

Now I wasn't going to share this but it was just too cool not to. My wife (The Boss) counted up all the receipts for my expenses and then counted up all the donations and we are exactly $2.19 to the good on this event. Now I don't know how that worked out but it just goes to show you that you can do something like this and trust that it will all workout in the end. My guess is I'll do this again next year the weekend after Labor Day but that's a year down the road and things can change. I'm just glad this went as well as it did and there is no way I could have pulled it off without you all. Thanks again

Pics from the BBQ
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8428316&type=3

Spyder Garage

Default Gracias from a miami rider

Thank you very much for opening the doors of your home. I rode from Miami to attend the event. A good friend said that the rain was just liquid sunshine. Thank you again Lamonster.