Spyder Garage

Default Comment on a recent topic about BRP dealers

Recently, I made a comment in an email to a friend of mine about our Spyders. After sending it I thought I should post it. JMO.

" The general feeling that I find among Spyder owners is that their satisfaction with the product is almost entirely dependent upon the attitude of the dealer when the machine requires servicing. BRP hasn’t had the time to build a dealer network like HD, Honda, Yamaha or others so the Spyder’s reputation suffers when folks think that dealers have let them down.

It is probably worse with the RT models because folks who buy that kind of product are heavy users who enjoying touring. While the average motorcycle rider probably logs less than 5,000 miles a year on a machine, an RT rider is more in the 20,000 plus range annually. That means there is more chance for things to go wrong but just for routine stuff their machine is likely to spend more time in a dealer service department. Given that, they tend to bitch longer and louder if their machine is out of service for days or sometimes even weeks.

My own feeling is that the weakest link in the Can Am company is the dealer network and dealer support. The company needs more dealers but on the other hand they need to weed out some weaker dealers. It is hard to do both at the same time."
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Comment on a recent topic about BRP dealers

I would tend to agree. I think many of the problems that takes out a machine for long periods of time are more simple issues exacerbated by inexperienced tech who don't know what they are doing. This give the impression that the machine is at fault, when that is not necessarily the case.

It shouldn't take 4 trips to get the wheels properly aligned, nor should it take several weeks for a dealer to even look at a customers machine. Yet with some dealers, this seems to be the case.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

x2

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well said!

Spyder Garage

Default Dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Recently, I made a comment in an email to a friend of mine about our Spyders. After sending it I thought I should post it. JMO.

" The general feeling that I find among Spyder owners is that their satisfaction with the product is almost entirely dependent upon the attitude of the dealer when the machine requires servicing. BRP hasn’t had the time to build a dealer network like HD, Honda, Yamaha or others so the Spyder’s reputation suffers when folks think that dealers have let them down.

It is probably worse with the RT models because folks who buy that kind of product are heavy users who enjoying touring. While the average motorcycle rider probably logs less than 5,000 miles a year on a machine, an RT rider is more in the 20,000 plus range annually. That means there is more chance for things to go wrong but just for routine stuff their machine is likely to spend more time in a dealer service department. Given that, they tend to bitch longer and louder if their machine is out of service for days or sometimes even weeks.

My own feeling is that the weakest link in the Can Am company is the dealer network and dealer support. The company needs more dealers but on the other hand they need to weed out some weaker dealers. It is hard to do both at the same time."
    The place where I purchased our Rt was the same as you have described. I have since found a Platium dealer, that has taken care of our RT the first time everytime. Not all dealers are bad. Just some!!!!!!!
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Luck has it my dealer services only BRP products, and also is in the province where the machine is built, which makes getting parts easier. So far so good!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Luck has it my dealer services only BRP products, and also is in the province where the machine is built, which makes getting parts easier. So far so good!
    you hit on a great point. getting parts faster! now that isn't the dealers problem, that's brp's problems for not having the parts more readily available. you can't put all the blame on the dealers(when the parts aren't available), but i agree whole heartedly, "some dealers are definitely better than others"!

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Exactly right

Your right, from the posts I've read the dealer is everything. I'm lucky with Robert's in the Adironack's I've never left with out a smile on my face. There are very few places today that combine both costumer service as well as mechanical service. I've followed the best dealer list and you can bet I won't travel far from one of them. Except if I went to see Teddy, he's special.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

I agree...without a doubt...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You nailed it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black