Spyder Garage

Default Air-hawk Seat Cushion

Which airhawk seat cushion best fits the Rt with the stock seat still attached. I was looking for the rider and passenger. Airhawk R ?? Getting ready to take a week long Sypder ride so I thought it might be a good idea to have extra padding...

Spyder Garage

I have been looking at the Airhawks as well and at Lamonster's BBQ a couple of people had them and they were the "R".

Spyder Garage

I have the Airhawk R, fits the stock seat perfectly.

Takes some getting used to, it really helps on long trips and always travel with however in my humble option not worth the price tag. I bought mine new and had the 60 days to return it. I liked it so much I kept it.

I first ride with out it, then some where between 2-300 miles when my butt starts to give out I put it on. This gives you a different feel for the rest of the ride. When starting out you put very little air in it, almost flat otherwise your bouncing around. As the day get longer and the the butt get numb I add more air. You are sitting on top not in, some have integrated into the seat by digging out some foam and putting the seat cover over it. What helps is the air flow, it as channels to allow air to flow under your butt, with the baker air wings it really works to keep your butt cooler. Its not pefect but it works.

Your paying market value, don't get me wrong people should be in business to make money but they are making a lot of profit on this, which is why they can offer 60 day return. I kept mine even though I thought it was over priced because it works to an existent and not sure what else is out there that does cheaper. Cheaper than a new seat.

My issue ( trust me I have lots), I would like to try a new seat, trouble is don't know which one, they all need about 1000 miles to break in. How do you know which is right for you, ultimate or Corbin, wish they offered already broken in loaners to try. Even is I got one and liked it I would always wonder if the other would have been better or worse. Old age OCD I guess.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Hawk

With a couple back operations and some left over pain combined with lots of arthritis, the Air Hwak and Ultimate seat back combo on the RT make it the most comfortable "chair" I own. Rode all day yesterday and never hurt a bit until I bent over to check the oil on last shutdown. Have a Harbour Freight rolling work chair I use for that and other chores when I remember.
    I use the Air Hawk on my Helix and Magna and it's the answer for me.

The seat back has an indentation of about 1/2 inch that accomodates the bump in my back where the metal stops - wish all chairs had that - it makes riding a pleasure with no back pressure on that spot.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Good points to take. After this trip I also am going to upgrade seating, Corbin or Ultimate. So maybe I shouldn't fork out all the money for an airhawk cushion. FYI. I had spoken to Ultimate and they have many colors of materials for seats to choose from. Someone on the site posted that they only had black. Our current seats are the tan over the Lava Bronze and Ultimate could do a 2 tone tan seat that looks sweet.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Hawk 2

We are using one of the Air Hawk 2 (AH2) cushions for the passenger seat and my wife really likes it. The AH2 is a lower price version of the original Air Hawk but from the same Company. It is probably not as sturdy as the original but so far is holding up fine.

I use a BeadRider on the main seat most of the year but put it away in the coldest months when I dont need fresh air circulating in the seat!
    Last edited by cjackg; 09-10-2012 at 09:32 AM.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Airhawk R

I went to Lamont's BBQ and back with the corbin seat and the airhawk. I never took it off and went a total of 1092.8 miles on this trip. No butt sore and no back sore! I wouldn't want to make a long ride without the airhawk. Overpriced??? yes...........is it worth it?.......yes. Hubby has an airhawk also on his 1300 Vstar. He said he couldn't have made this ride without it.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anybody in here have a link to where we can get these Airhawks?
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Least expensive place appears to be Ebay, but just google airhawk and numerous dealers show up

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I first ride with out it, then some where between 2-300 miles when my butt starts to give out I put it on. This gives you a different feel for the rest of the ride. When starting out you put very little air in it, almost flat otherwise your bouncing around. As the day get longer and the the butt get numb I add more air. Harry
    This is exactly the manner in which I use mine.

Now regarding cost........I believe (?) the company that manufactures the cushion is actually a medical supply company first and for most. They manufacture these cushions for the wheelchair bound folks to alleviate pain and pressure point sores. I also am employed in the medical supply industry (not this market but similar) and as soon as it is for medical the price goes ridiculous. All the manufacturers and suppliers are on board so the margins are extreme. Its not collusion it is just an expectation of these companies.

Still a silly price though..............
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

You may prefer the AirHawk R, with the cutouts to prevent bunching up between your legs. The standard Airhawk works, though. The Medium Cruiser size is appropriate for the rider on the Spyder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have the Airhawk R on a RT Ltd and it is exceptionaly comfortable, your tail bone is not touching anything and cool air circulates between you and the seat, just remember to air it up and sit on it and slowly let the air out until you are sitting in it not on it, a few tries before you will get it right, got the small pillion for the passenger and that seems to fit her small to medium frame.

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Costs

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks!
    Hey Bob.........put this on your "need to have" Christmas list and definitely hide the bill...
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Sore butts

If you really want to help alleviate sore butt syndrome , install a set of highway pegs and play with the adjustments. You won't believe the difference you'll see by having your feet raised a couple of inches and stretched forward. I always had the sore butt problem , even using a very expensive gel seat pad. Was looking into purchasing a custom seat and tried a bunch of different ones at the BBQ. Didn't really like any of them for one reason or another. Had a set of Lamonts pegs installed and adjusted several times until they felt right.Rode home without the gel seat ( thanks to an opossum ) and found I no longer needed it. I rode almost 500 miles only stopping for gas and back on and when I got home I could have ridden further without sore butt. Not only does Lamonts pegs work , they look like they belong on the bike .They get a 5 star rating in my book.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks!

When I bought ours this was the best prices I could find.

http://www.derbycycles.net/airhawk-r...m&source=brand

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

I bought one off eBay 79.99 free shipping.. Should get it tomorrow

Spyder Garage

As Scotty said: Regular Airhawk, medium cruiser size works good on the RT. I went to the Airhawk site and several other dealers that advertised them.

My issue was ridiculous postage to AK. I ended up getting mine from Dennis Kirk and the shipping was about $10.00.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    When I bought ours this was the best prices I could find.

http://www.derbycycles.net/airhawk-r...m&source=brand
    Thanks! I'm on it!

Spyder Garage

Wow! That's a lot of Airhawk options.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red