Thread: Add one more

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Add one more

Well I just signed my life away and picked up a 2012 RT Limited. Now all my test drives were around town and back roads never going over 50 mph. To get this monster home I had to hit the interstate. It sure took some time but I finally got up to 70 mph and this is where my little problem comes in. I felt like I was weaving all over the place. I don't really think I was but it sure felt like it. Is this normal and does it finally go away? I tired to relaxe and not try to man handle it but it still SEEMED like I was weaving. It probably didn't help that I had a lot of wind to contend with as well. But it's home and now I just have to learn where all the controls are.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

If you haven't already.

Start here. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=owners+read

Other than that.

Check your front shock adjustment. They may be set to low for your body weight.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

and on the ryde.

The problem you are experiencing is very typical when you first ride the . It is caused by a tendancy to overcontrol the . Grabbing to tight on the handlebars is the main cause. Try to give the handlebars as little input as possible. Act like there is an egg or a bird between your hands and dont crush the bird or break the egg. I also use push pull on the turns.

It take 250-500 miles to get real comfortable. If you are a two wheel rider, expect about 500 miles. If you are new to riding, then the lower end of the spectrum for the learning curve.

Recommend parking lot time, slow curvy roads, then highway and interstate. Each mile will get better as far as the control issues.

Shocks on 4, 18-20 in the fronts and 28 in the back tire are also good places to start on set up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    If you haven't already.

Start here. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=owners+read

Other than that.

Check your front shock adjustment. They may be set to low for your body weight.
    Now just how did you know I was fat? I'll check the front shocks though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and on the ryde.

The problem you are experiencing is very typical when you first ride the . It is caused by a tendancy to overcontrol the . Grabbing to tight on the handlebars is the main cause. Try to give the handlebars as little input as possible. Act like there is an egg or a bird between your hands and dont crush the bird or break the egg. I also use push pull on the turns.

It take 250-500 miles to get real comfortable. If you are a two wheel rider, expect about 500 miles. If you are new to riding, then the lower end of the spectrum for the learning curve.

Recommend parking lot time, slow curvy roads, then highway and interstate. Each mile will get better as far as the control issues.

Shocks on 4, 18-20 in the fronts and 28 in the back tire are also good places to start on set up.
    I rather figured it must be typical. I am a Harley rider so I'm used to horsing around a lot of weight. The Spyder is really for my wife but she's still too scared to ride it as far as I had to to get home. I think the wind I was dealing with also had a lot to do with making me THINK I needed to control it more. The more I relaxed the better it seemed until the wind would hit me again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

One rear wheel pushing two front wheels, Relax your grip and go with the flow, After a while you'll won't even notice it.

arntufun

Is this Hogcowboy on another two wheel forum ???????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    Well I just signed my life away and picked up a 2012 RT Limited. Now all my test drives were around town and back roads never going over 50 mph. To get this monster home I had to hit the interstate. It sure took some time but I finally got up to 70 mph and this is where my little problem comes in. I felt like I was weaving all over the place. I don't really think I was but it sure felt like it. Is this normal and does it finally go away? I tired to relaxe and not try to man handle it but it still SEEMED like I was weaving. It probably didn't help that I had a lot of wind to contend with as well. But it's home and now I just have to learn where all the controls are.
    Front shocks set to 5, stiffest position, front tires 25 lbs., will cure most of it.

Elkas in front will cure it all.

Have fun, once you get use to it its like driving a sports car.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

My dealer (Roberts Sports) called it the "wobbles". I'm a new Ryder (about a month) and have almost 1000 miles. The wind is also a problem for me i try to hold the handlebars like a bird, but whenever there's a big gust, I grab on and the Spyder reacts. I'm trying to relax and grip with my lower body and not my arms. It's getting better since I'm following the suggestions of those who posted to my wind inquiry.

Oh - Hubby increased shock settings to 5 and increased tire pressure. (suggestions from this forum)
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to our little rodeo!
    The twitchiness will go away with time; everybody starts out gripping the bars a bit too tightly, and then trying to over-control the steering.
    RLEAX...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

and on your new ..............it WILL get better in time!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
    Front shocks set to 5, stiffest position, front tires 25 lbs., will cure most of it.

I came from a Goldwing and felt exactly as you described.2 months now
    Ivor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase and to the family. Dale

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

we did too. but you will get "loosen" up and it will go away..we had to adjust the windsheild too, to help with the wind hitting us. We just went from Tennessee to Florida on it... had a blast!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leenanj View Post

Well I changed the shocks and added air in the tires as suggested and sure enough the wiggy feeling is almost gone. Enough so that I tried the "let's see how fast it will go" thing. Wide open it would only do 100mph. But it is new. I'm guessing as it gets broke in it will loosen up and be able to do a little better than that. But I figured with the speedometer that has it would do much much much more than that. Guess someone is an optimist.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    Well I changed the shocks and added air in the tires as suggested and sure enough the wiggy feeling is almost gone. Enough so that I tried the "let's see how fast it will go" thing. Wide open it would only do 100mph. But it is new. I'm guessing as it gets broke in it will loosen up and be able to do a little better than that. But I figured with the speedometer that has it would do much much much more than that. Guess someone is an optimist.
    Remember this is made in Canada and up there they are in Kilometers and with you being able to set speedometer to KPH 62mph = 100 kph

Congrats on your new ryde

[