Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on my 2013 RTS SM5 Handling Issues

The parts came in so I dropped off my Spyder at the dealer on Thursday to replace the front shocks and repair/replace the parking brake cable that was melted. My Spyder was not handling properly and I had previously taken it to the dealer and had the technician and one of the owners test drive it. They both said that my Spyder (with the Baja Ron Sway Bar) handled better than their demo 2013 RT. While I was at the Owners Event in Maggie Valley my parking brake would not release so I brought it to the BRP Service Tent and had them look at it. I told them about the handling issues and they authorized a new set of shocks for me along with having the parking brake repaired. They didn't have the parts at the event so I had the dealer order them. When the parts guy called to place the order he told them that their demo didn't handle as good as my Spyder and they said well then you should replace the shocks on your demo.

So I go to pick up the Spyder yesterday and the owner told me that the technician had test driven my Spyder and it was parked outside. I asked him if the tech noticed any difference with the new shocks and he said no, no difference at all. So I'm thinking okay maybe it was me and after 67,000 Spyder miles I still don't know how to drive it. The owner then laughed and said that the tech in fact came back from the test drive and went right to the parts guy and told him to order a set of shocks for the demo. I so badly wanted to say I TOLD YOU SO! But I didn't. Well it handles great no more wobble no wandering. Just like a Spyder should handle.

Also, when I dropped off the Spyder I forgot to ask them to check the master cylinder reservoir so I called them about it when I got home the owner said no problem he would have the mechanic check it out. So I asked about it and was told that BRP had also asked them to check the master cylinder and to send them pictures of it.

The only cloud on a sunny day today was that my Spyder is idling rough and twice when I left it idle for a minute it stalled. Also when I got home with it yesterday I washed it before putting it in the garage. When I put it in gear to move it the gear selector showed 1st gear but it stalled twice when I tried to go forward - it did work in reverse.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

How many miles you got on your 2013 RTS? I have 3000 Kilometres on mine and don't have any issues with handling or turning. I actually feel it handles quite nicely and it is all stock.

Spyder Garage

Very few hang in there like you do, SpyderAnn01. You just keep chipping away. I hope you get all the gremlins worked out. Sure is a shame that it's not right, right out of the box.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update. Hope they get all the gremlins out. Like Baja said--it should be right when it comes out of the box.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder pat View Post
    How many miles you got on your 2013 RTS? I have 3000 Kilometres on mine and don't have any issues with handling or turning. I actually feel it handles quite nicely and it is all stock.
    I have 9,000 miles in 2 1/2 months and will be over 11,000 by the 21st of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very few hang in there like you do, SpyderAnn01. You just keep chipping away. I hope you get all the gremlins worked out. Sure is a shame that it's not right, right out of the box.
    Ron, it was frustrating to feel like I took two steps backwards by trading for a 2013 but I had faith that it could be fixed. So now I am really ready to put the new and improved 2013 RTS complete with your sway bar to the test on my trip next week.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Soon..!!

they will get it right. And then you will be a happy camper with an awesome spyder..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Purchased my RTS at the end of May, and as I stated everything seems good right out of the box, did your issues start from day one or a few miles down the road?