Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Motor Suport Arm

The arm that attaches to the windshield motor to raise and lower the windshield broke this morning. The dealer says I have to buy the whole motor assenbly at $480. All I need is the arm that connects the motor to the windshield. Any sugestions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you hit Can Am's website; they've got a parts list area that you could dig around in to see if that part is listed separately or not...

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Publ...rands=roadster
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Or you can go here http://www.martinmotorsports.ca/fich...ion_detail.asp all parts are listed and priced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you hit Can Am's website; they've got a parts list area that you could dig around in to see if that part is listed separately or not...

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Publ...rands=roadster
    The arm is listed with the motor. I was wondering who makes the arm for Can Am? If I can find them I may be able to purchase the arm.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ref your Windshield Motor support Arm

There has been a problem with some of these in the Past - See

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...n-your-machine

I had my broken support arm replaced under warranty - Even if yours is not under warranty BRP must be aware of some poorly made ones which had already been fitted and hopefully will do the right thing and replace yours.

The link will provide some evidence of a known problem - Let your dealer know they may take up the claim on your behalf

Good Luck

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

Mine has been replaced twice under warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine broke and I had Cowtown fix it last week. New motor was installed all under Best warranty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb I would think this should be covered under Warranty. . . . its a known problem

As suggested, I posted a WARNING Thread about this when ours failed & it was covered under Warranty. And even back then, they had to order the entire assembly with the motor

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield support arm

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    As suggested, I posted a WARNING Thread about this when ours failed & it was covered under Warranty. And even back then, they had to order the entire assembly with the motor
    Just got off the phone with the dealer and BRP is going to cover the part under warranty. They are not going to cover labor. The dealer is going to let me put it on. Any tips on how hard they are to install?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmstiffany View Post
    Just got off the phone with the dealer and BRP is going to cover the part under warranty. They are not going to cover labor. The dealer is going to let me put it on. Any tips on how hard they are to install?
    Awesome news..........we should recognize BRP when they step up and do the right thing.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

I had done a pre-flight inspection this past weekend and noticed mine was cracked also. I have a service appointment next week to have mine replaced. I'm still within 2years of ownership so it will be replaced free under warranty. Definately something all RT owners should check on a regular basis.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Anytime I have had to have anything done/replaced under warranty, BRP always said that it had to be done/replaced by the dealer. Me thinks your dealer is double dipping in the money jar! What you do (suggesting) is pick up the part, take it home, then call BRP customer service and inform them what has transpired.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Anytime I have had to have anything done/replaced under warranty, BRP always said that it had to be done/replaced by the dealer. Me thinks your dealer is double dipping in the money jar! What you do (suggesting) is pick up the part, take it home, then call BRP customer service and inform them what has transpired.
    Normally I believe you are correct warranty repairs are completed by the dealer. But I believe this is not really a warranty repair as the warranty has expired? Quite common to "give" the part away when a recognized defect is noted. There is a good chance the vendor of the part has extended a longer warranty period to BRP. However this is good customer service even though in theory they owe the consumer nothing.

Now if the dealer wanted to offer good customer service perhaps they would install at N/C? However where you bought the bike, where it has been serviced previously and the opportunity that you will return if they cough it up is a question they will weigh in their decision making process.
    Last edited by Buttsy; 09-07-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

It isn't hard to replace, there is just a lot that has to come off to get to it.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    It isn't hard to replace, there is just a lot that has to come off to get to it.
    Any tips you can give me? Starting to remove this morning.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    7. WHAT BRP WILL DO
    BRP’s obligations under this warranty are limited to, at its sole discretion, repairingparts found defective under normal use, maintenance and service, or replacing such parts with new genuine Spyder parts without charge for parts and labor, at any authorized Spyder Dealer during the warranty coverage period.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?43651-Opinion
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 09-07-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Support Arm

The new parts from the dealer won't be here before we leave for Colorado. I was able to remove the broken arm and take it to a welding shop in town. They were able to weld the arm and I put it back together and it seems very sturdy. I however now can't raise the windshield, it wil go down but not up. I will have to look into it when the new parts arrive. At least I am back on the road. :-)

Spyder Garage

Any tips you can give me? Starting to remove this morning.
    I bought the shop manual when I bought my RT, if you have that there is a section in there that steps you through everything. Nothing tricky about it.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Default windshield motor arm

My motor arm broke on my windshield , 2012 rts , guess i'm going to have the dealer repair it since nothing is easy to repair on a spyder & it's under warrenty , even to change a battery or do a oil change is difficult on a spyder. Sounds like this is a common problem with the windshield arms breaking..
    The arm that attaches to the windshield motor to raise and lower the windshield broke this morning. The dealer says I have to buy the whole motor assenbly at $480. All I need is the arm that connects the motor to the windshield. Any sugestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    I had done a pre-flight inspection this past weekend and noticed mine was cracked also. I have a service appointment next week to have mine replaced. I'm still within 2years of ownership so it will be replaced free under warranty. Definately something all RT owners should check on a regular basis.
    I had mine replaced under warranty with about 12K on the bike.
    The new one looks exactly like the old one. There are no obvious changes to the design.
    I have close to 25K on the Spyder now.
    If mine breaks again, I'm going to take the broken aluminum part down to the shop and have them make me up a new arm out of Stainless Steel.
    There is definitely something wrong with the design of this arm, or there was a run of bad castings.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Hope I can remember all the parts to take off but you need to remove:
    • Mirrors
    • Clear wind deflectors (lower)
    • Black access panels under trunk lid
    • Upper side panels (both sides)
    • Front Fascia (around head lights)
    • Clear wind deflectors (upper)
    • Windshield
    • Dash Cover

That will get you to the arm, it removes with a circlip if I recall correctly

Spyder Garage

Default front piece just broke

I have a 2011 RTSE and was pulling out of a parking space and low and behold all of a sudden the windshield droped down towards the top of the dash and when I dismounted I discovered that this "dog bone" lift piece was broken. I was not doing and raising or lowering at the time of the windshield just moving about 5mph. This is clearly not only a poor design but probably a defective piece of cast metal. BRP should recall all units and replace them this could prove dangerous if driving on a highway if nothing else the surprise of it falling towards the driver. I am glad it was not in the up position as I sit forward on the seat and it probably would have clipped my face. If BRP does not replace this part gratis as I have a 5 year warantee, I will take them to court and also report this as a needed recall to the dept. of transportation as well as the dept of commerce. THIS IS A DANGEROUS DESIGN AND A FAULTY CASTING!!!!!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wasn't someone marketing an aftermarket arm some time ago? What happened with that?

Spyder Garage

Yes - and it came from "noboot" in Australia. It was $120, but worth every dime. There's also installation instructions in the DYI section, and reading that is CRITICAL. If you do it wrong, your windshield will no longer work.

Mine was NOT cracked, but I replaced it anyway.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If ir breaks again here's the fix