Spyder Garage

Default Code P0130 02 Sensor-- what to do?

Background: just installed a JuiceBox Pro last week to complement my Yoshi R-77 single pipe exhaust and a KewlMetal Air Intake and eliminate my popping/backfiring.

Was running Map 3 from Two Bros., still getting some popping, but otherwise fine.

Check engine light came on briefly yesterday morning just after I started the bike. Check engine light went away with a switch off and on, but I couldn't check the code before it reset.

Last night, in an attempt to address the remaining popping, upon a fellow Spyderlover's recommendation I switched to Map 5 from Power Commander. Rode for about 30 minutes last night, love 90% of the map, but I had a little flat spot in the low RPM (1500-3500) that I'd detect when spooling up in first gear (just couldn't launch the bike off the line very well, it hesitated a tad too much).

No check engine lights last night, BTW.

This morning, before starting the bike, I decided to lean the low RPM on the JuiceBox Pro (you can do this by tweaking a physical dial-- I lowered it 10%) in an attempt to address the flat spot.

Started the bike, pulled out of the driveway in reverse, engaged first gear, immediately had a check engine light. This time I got the code-- P0130, the O2 Sensor-- but again, the check engine light went away with a key turn.

So... what's the deal? Is the JB Pro futzing with the computer too much? Is it just a morning thing after the Spyder sits all night (been running the JB Pro for a week, no check engine lights except on consecutive mornings, with two different maps). Or is my O2 sensor actually going bad, and it took running the JB Pro to reveal that?

Any ideas of what I can do? Thanks for the help...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

More likely it is running too fat, and fouled the sensor...although a lean condition can result in a sensor error, too. Turn it off and see if it disappears. If it does, the results of your mapping are affecting the sensor.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Depending on the total number of miles and if you used (temporary) leaded gas, the O2 sensor is bad.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Thanks gents--- only have 11,000 miles on the bike, never ran anything but normal unleaded, I'd hope the sensor wasn't bad after just that short run with the JB Pro.

So, if I tweak the mapping one way or the other, will I eventually be able to reach a stable point that won't trip the check engine light? Or is it a case of, once fouled, the sensor's going to be lousy until replaced? Pardon my ignorance, I'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff-- just wondering what I can mess with on my own, and what I may need to enlist help from my mechanic?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My bad O2 sensor:

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I told you to use map 5, I forgot to tell you that both of our bikes are set to full lean on the low rpm dial and center on the mid and high rpm dials. You may have been to rich at low speed. Sorry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    When I told you to use map 5, I forgot to tell you that both of our bikes are set to full lean on the low rpm dial and center on the mid and high rpm dials. You may have been to rich at low speed. Sorry
    Ahhh, NOW you tell me! :bangheadI'll keep tweaking the dials...

Spyder Garage

Default Code P0130 02 Sensor-- what to do?

I am experiencing the same exact issue with JB Pro, Hindle and Kewlmetal intake. I have not looked at my O2 sensor but suspect it is the issue.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Thanks gents--- only have 11,000 miles on the bike, never ran anything but normal unleaded, I'd hope the sensor wasn't bad after just that short run with the JB Pro.

So, if I tweak the mapping one way or the other, will I eventually be able to reach a stable point that won't trip the check engine light? Or is it a case of, once fouled, the sensor's going to be lousy until replaced? Pardon my ignorance, I'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff-- just wondering what I can mess with on my own, and what I may need to enlist help from my mechanic?
    The sensor may clear, but I'd replace it if I were you. It is wounded at very least.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The sensor may clear, but I'd replace it if I were you. It is wounded at very least.
    Grrr. Figures.Is this something easy that I can do myself if I order the part? I've got to take the bike in within the next couple weeks anyway to get a new rear tire, could get the dealer to swap it out, but if it's something easy to do myself I'd rather save the labor costs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Grrr. Figures.Is this something easy that I can do myself if I order the part? I've got to take the bike in within the next couple weeks anyway to get a new rear tire, could get the dealer to swap it out, but if it's something easy to do myself I'd rather save the labor costs.
    Not knowing what tools you have or your mechanical expertise and confidence, I couldn't say. Take a look at it, underneath, on the exhaust pipe, and decide for yourself. The connector is accessible, and it does not require BUDS, if that helps.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Not knowing what tools you have or your mechanical expertise and confidence, I couldn't say. Take a look at it, underneath, on the exhaust pipe, and decide for yourself. The connector is accessible, and it does not require BUDS, if that helps.
    I have all the usual tools and am comfy using them... as long as I don't have to weld anything I'm handy enough.

I'll take a peek this weekend and see what's involved.

FYI, I set the JB Pro to the settings suggested by machinegunner (PCV map 5 with the low range dial set to maximum lean, the mid and high range dials at the middle) and it was *almost* perfect, now I'd get a flat spot in the mid-RPM. I leaned out the mid range dial a single notch and that fixed it. Rode it for 30 minutes, felt all dialed in, not a single pop or backfire to be heard.

Now hopefully the check engine light won't ever show up again...

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Too late------------Add on power is a joke!

Have the same BS with my Power Commander V with Optimizer. Same code and same problem. I have removed the BS Power Commander and will take bike to a dealer for replacement of my sensors. Don't know the whys involved but the Spyders do not play well with these BS add ons. Besides I saw no increase in power over stock after spending 2400.00---------hence the BS call from me. Wasted much money and time and aggravation!

Wish I had better news but ----------
    2013 STS , Yellow