Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default County Tax Department ? Can Am

Just got a letter from my county tax department. They want to know what kind of trailer I have called a Can Am!!!
    Wish I could tell them otherwise, but they want copy of sales slip!

Spyder Garage

Figured it was NC. What other state taxes you when you by a vehicle then every year thereafter? Our 2010 was somehow excluded from the county tax list when we purchased it. We had to pay back taxes . We argued it wasn't our fault but you can't win when your dealing with the government. (I'm being nice)

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Figured it was NC. What other state taxes you when you by a vehicle then every year thereafter? Our 2010 was somehow excluded from the county tax list when we purchased it. We had to pay back taxes . We argued it wasn't our fault but you can't win when your dealing with the government. (I'm being nice)
    Am I reading this right....you have to pay taxes on your vehicles annually?
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default In MO too

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post

Yep, we get to do that here in good ol' MO too. Called a Personal Property Tax here.

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT OTHER STATE????

That would be Kentucky.. Just paid 278.00 in taxes.. 15.00 plate fee.. Total of 293.00..

Spyder Garage

WOW! I'm sure NY will be jumping on this soon enough!
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

Hey, don't leave out SC too!. Same thing.... Personal Property. Must be the states personal property, 'cause you NEVER own it!! Always paying taxes and fees!

Spyder Garage

Default Tennessee...

In Tennessee, our sales tax is 9.25% but, we have no personal property tax, no income tax and our license tag fees run
    about $25-30. annually.

I'll take that any day!

Spyder Garage

Yup, we are all taxed to poverty. When you make money it's taxed, spend it it's taxed, property you buy is taxed, savings taxed. Then when you die , that's taxed too. Really makes me mad!

Spyder Garage

Default taxing vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    GA, that's who. Starting next year sometime, we will pay a (higher!) sales tax on used as well as new vehicles, only new up till then. There will be no more ad valorem tax on vehicle bought after that date. I think they will start at 7.5% or so tax on all vehicles, whether sold by dealers or privately.

And this was signed by a theoretically "conservative" GOV..

Ad valorem was about $600 on an average car, something like that. Goes down, for sure, but over the life of a car, it's a lot of money. Now everyone who buys that car used will get to pay the higher tax on something that wasn't taxed at purchase from an individual previously - and in a lump payment, naturally.

Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 09-02-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default tax

that just not rightthey get you come or going

Spyder Garage

Also I just sold a truck that was 10'years old to a friend of mine. Guess what... He had to pay taxes on it AGAIN. An if he sells it tomorrow, then that person will have to pay taxes on it again. No way the Goverments should be broke with all the taxes the we pay.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

VA has it too. All vehicles, every year. My RT Limited will probably cost $600+ for the first year.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No way the Goverments should be broke with all the taxes the we pay.
    they seem to have a certain lifestyle they have gotten use to, and want to maintain for posterity

Spyder Garage

Michigan license fees are based upon vehicle weight, which is deemed a tax, and it is deductible on the federal income tax returns. Our two small cars (Honda's) run about $70-80 per year, each.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Here in MA, pay state sales tax at registration and then pay local town tax in the same year, and then yearly after that. The town tax does go down over time.

We then pay registration fees each year plus inspection fees.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Default Got my NC tax bill too.

My county tax office sent me a bill for taxes on a $36K CanAm. I have an RT that was 24 new,so I made my trip to their office, they didn't know what a CanAm was so I pointed out the window and showed them my invoice. They checked what info they had and they had something for 2010-11 RS but nothing for an RT, but it did have a footnote to call DMV. They said they'd get back to me. Had the same problem with my Winnebago, since it was on a Freightliner frame they gave me a bill for an 18 wheeler. It only took 3 months to get that straight.
    Geico was just as bad on the insurance., they increased my insurance because they say the CanAm is a High Performance racing bike, which dictates a higher premium.
    just love North Carolina

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
    My county tax office sent me a bill for taxes on a $36K CanAm. I have an RT that was 24 new,so I made my trip to their office, they didn't know what a CanAm was so I pointed out the window and showed them my invoice. They checked what info they had and they had something for 2010-11 RS but nothing for an RT, but it did have a footnote to call DMV. They said they'd get back to me. Had the same problem with my Winnebago, since it was on a Freightliner frame they gave me a bill for an 18 wheeler. It only took 3 months to get that straight.
    Geico was just as bad on the insurance., they increased my insurance because they say the CanAm is a High Performance racing bike, which dictates a higher premium.
    just love North Carolina
    Well, I'll be sure and see what they value my RT at! I sent the invoice with the letter, so they should get it right. I hate all governments now! We have no say so what so ever.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post
    Lots of states do this... NC is just one of them. You pay a reduced "highway use" sales tax (3%) at time of purchase instead of the full sales tax you would in say, NY. In some states that do this, you pay a tax but it is capped at a specific dollar amount depending on class of vehicle....When I lived in SC and bought a brand new truck, my sales tax was capped at $300 (back in 1998)...

If you are one that keeps your vehicles a long time, then the yearly personal property tax fee on the vehicle gets pretty low. I was paying $59 a year the last couple of years on my old Dodge Dakota which I had for 13 years. The tax bill I get next year on the new F-150 is going to hurt. If you are the type that has to have a brand new shiny vehicle every 3 to 5 years then you are going to end up paying a lot of tax over your lifetime just on vehicles.

Incidentally... If you have a toy hauler in NC and it is based on a cargo trailer, make sure it stays titled as cargo... cargo trailers pay a one time tax, not yearly.

Taxes are still less down here overall then in NY.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vehicle Tax Alabama?

I will be moving fm Florida which has no such tax, to Alabama in January. I checked out property taxes and home owners and vehicle insurance, all will be considerably lower than Florida. However, I did not think to check on vehicle taxes.

Does anyone know if there are any heavy annual taxes on Spyders and other vehicles similar to the North Carolina experience cited in this string?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Michigan license fees are based upon vehicle weight, which is deemed a tax, and it is deductible on the federal income tax returns. Our two small cars (Honda's) run about $70-80 per year, each.
    ????? If I remember right, Michigan changed for strictly weight based to a formula based at least in part on the MSRP. That is why the taxes can now be deducted as property taxes on your federal return. Motorcycles may have a different formula.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Taxes on my Spyder this years was $543.02, Yes we pay personal property tax on all vehicles and trailers. I paid over $2000.00 this year
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    Yup, we are all taxed to poverty. When you make money it's taxed, spend it it's taxed, property you buy is taxed, savings taxed.
    Exactly the same taxation system exists in the United Kingdom. But we're a small country, comparitively, so our taxes can't raise sufficient revenue to allow us to instigate ground-breaking scientific adventures. As a citizen of the US your taxes have sent men to the moon and you are currently spending more billions investigating our planetary neighbours. The UK and many other countries are making a shared contribution to space science aboard the ISS. Eventually, mankind will overpopulate this planet and use up its essential natural resources. Before that happens we'll need to find a new home somewhere in the solar system. Individuals have difficulty sometimes seeing the big picture but I believe taxes are essential. Without general taxation nothing on a big enough scale to make a difference would ever get done.

Then when you die , that's taxed too. Really makes me mad !
    You'll be in Heaven. Personally, I don't think you'll give a damn!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Lots of states do this... NC is just one of them. You pay a reduced "highway use" sales tax (3%) at time of purchase instead of the full sales tax you would in say, NY. In some states that do this, you pay a tax but it is capped at a specific dollar amount depending on class of vehicle....When I lived in SC and bought a brand new truck, my sales tax was capped at $300 (back in 1998)...

If you are one that keeps your vehicles a long time, then the yearly personal property tax fee on the vehicle gets pretty low. I was paying $59 a year the last couple of years on my old Dodge Dakota which I had for 13 years. The tax bill I get next year on the new F-150 is going to hurt. If you are the type that has to have a brand new shiny vehicle every 3 to 5 years then you are going to end up paying a lot of tax over your lifetime just on vehicles.

Incidentally... If you have a toy hauler in NC and it is based on a cargo trailer, make sure it stays titled as cargo... cargo trailers pay a one time tax, not yearly.

Taxes are still less down here overall then in NY.

Thanks for the info on the cargo trailer! Not to mention NC has one of the highest gas taxes in the US.

Spyder Garage

Default NC, the Tar Heel State AKA Stick it To You State

Good old NC: last year I got the county tax bill on an older Corolla that I thought was exorbitant; went to tax office qustioned how they came up with it (see below), and they gave me a form that I took to a car dealer who evaluated it much lower and thats what they then based the tax on.

I first asked where they got the evaluation from and they said "charlotte". I said who in Charlotte? "Don't know" they said. I asked if they used KBB or NADA? "Don't know" they answered! Obviously, didn't know, didn't care, just give me your money or run around and get an eval from a dealer. Fortunately I have a neighbor who is a dealer and he said put whatever price I wanted on the form and he'd sign it.