Thread: gps question

Spyder Garage

Default gps question

I tried searching for suggestions on which gps to buy and over 20 pages came up, so I thought I would start a new one!
    This is a 2 part question, 1st is what gps is the best,money no object? 2nd is what is best under $250.00 Appreciate the help.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Garmin 660 for the best...

Spyder Garage

Default gps question

I have the Garmin 330 and live it. Small screen but water proof and glove friendly. About $200.00 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Garmin 660 for the best...
    Ivork

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cannot answer the "under $250 question"... because any cheap GPS I ever bought only caused aggravation. At least more than the more expensive one's.

I currently use the Garmin Zumo 660 -- although I believe they have an upgraded version of it now (maybe #666! Geez... I hope not that number! LOL!)

The reason I like Garmin GPS's is you can download map routes to them from their software (although initially learning how to do that is more than aggravating -- but once you understand the process it becomes much easier).

Secondly, the 660 can "record" your travels for future download onto a map, so you can save it for a future route, or parts of it for a future route.

Lastly, the Zumo 660 is designed for motorcycle use. I can put-up with the vibrations better, and is water-resistant -- and believe me... you want it to be water-resistant. My Magellan wasn't and finally bit the dust in a severe rain storm that soaked it even though it was wrapped in a plastic baggie. (It was BAD storm on the Cherohala Skyway in NC in June 2011. I believe there was a Spyder rally in Maggie Valley area that following week -- although I still saw a lot of them there before.)

I also have a motorcycle that I use the 660 with. I couldn't find a handle-bar mount that fits the spare cradle that comes with the 660 -- but I finally did, and would share that with anyone if they send me a PM. All the other cradles and mounts were permanent mounts hard-wired to the bike... and I didn't want that. I wanted to move the GPS from bike to bike.

Good luck on your search...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

RodMyers

+1 Garmin 660 - the best

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    I tried searching for suggestions on which gps to buy and over 20 pages came up, so I thought I would start a new one!
    This is a 2 part question, 1st is what gps is the best,money no object? 2nd is what is best under $250.00 Appreciate the help.
    The 660 provides spyder dealer locations. If you plan on touring it could come in handy.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Which GPS is Best?

I have the Garmin Zumo 660, but if you say money is no object, then go for the Zumo 665 which has the weather radar feature on it. Of course you have to pay a montly fee to get the radar feature, but it is the best!

Spyder Garage

The Garmin 660 is designed for motorcycles but easily dismounts for use in a car. It can be quickly programmed for in car use and then switched back for motorcyling or even for hiking.

It has wonderful features including altimeter, destination arrival time, elapsed time on road, compass, road speed, speed limits on the road you travel, and many more.

As far as the under $250 question... I think anything in that range would be a waste of money.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default MIO

all depends on how sophisticated you want to get...
    i have an '09 RS, and i got a MIO 300 Series... $50 @ Radio Shack... i openned the unit up, drilled a 1/16" hole in the bottom of the back half, got a 'pig-tail with volumne control, $6', again @ Radio Shack, spliced the pig-tail into the speaker, closed the unit up, and velcroed the back of the unit and the center of the handle-bar just below the ignition... i use 'ear-buds' to listen to the directions... for better results, i use the GARMIN NUVI 850, and it's Blue-Tooth capable, and i've paired it with my CARDO-SCALA G9...

Spyder Garage

The Garmin 660/665 is the best currently, the 660 is the one that can-am sell.

The 665 as the xml puck with it.

I have a Zumo 550 with GXM 30 puck for sale here.

Needs a mount for the Spyder Kewl Metal Sells one for the zumo 550

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Right now the Garmin Zumo 665 is the top dog. I replaced a 550 with one and I really like it so far. It is really nice having the music capability built in! The 660 is what BRP sells but if you want music you have to pay extra for the antenna/rcvr whereas the 665 comes with the antenna package. It is very plug and play. Personally I would only buy one of the Zumo GPSs because they are built to be on a motorcycle.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-6...p-updates.html

Just any FYI for any one reading this, the 660 is not capable of receiving XM radio, no software and don't believe it as the socket for the puck either, the 665 comes with the XM puck.

You can play music from a memory card inserted into the 660 GPS.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

I've had Garmins for what seems like forever.
    Presently have a Garmin 1390LMT - that means lifetime maps and traffic. Bluetooth, less than $200 about 2 years ago and certainly not a waste of money. I have it mounted on the clutch reservoir with a ram mount. 12v is a hardwired lead. Works like a champ, but surely is a little hard to see in direct sunlight. Gotta get another visor and it'll be ok. My last Garmin was similar, 255W - it lasted 4 years and still is in my Magna for a backup. 1390 is not waterproof, but I just put it away or in the semiwaterproof case I have. I'm sure the 665s or w\atever are great, but I don't feel it's worth the $$. That's just me, I guess. I survived my first 65 years without a GPS and could now, but I do like the 1390 and the other Garmins I've owned were acceptable, but outpaced by technology. I don't like the GPS apps for the iphone, but I could live with one if necessary.
    My HOG book of maps comes every year and I seldom use it, but it's in the Spyder as we speak.

Tuck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

While the Garmin Zumo 665/660's are really the best, you really can't beat the Garmin Zumo 550 for price since it is older design. There are still new available for around $450 and I guess used ones for less. They have most of the functions of the newer ones. I have the XM antenna and hooked it up to the iPod plug in my RT so the GPS and Sat radio play over the RT speakers.
    You can get a mounting plate for $59 from one of the venders here it fits on the RT handle bar where the 660 goes.

Spyder Garage

I am mounting a garmin 1490LMT using an aquabox (for weather protection) and a RAM mount on top of the dashboard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

By far the best one I have ever used was the Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT in the $350-$400 range.

I tend to prefer the basic Magellan Roadmate model I picked up on sale for $99 - I bought it for use on the bike, specially considering that it could possibly far off at highway speed...played it safe....have never had a problem with it, use it when I travel as it easily mounts on rental cars as well....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 1370 in a Firstgear GPS mini tank bag. It works fine, switches to my other
    bikes and quads, and fits as your under $250 option.

Spyder Garage

Zumo 660/665 is obviously the best... if you want all the features.

I get by on a Garmin 1300 stuffed in an aquabox - which still allows me to touch the screen yet keep it waterproof... almost 20k miles of use so far.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I have the Zumo 665 mounted with Ram Mount to the top of the dash

IMG_20120229_180109.jpgIMG_20120521_183057.jpg2011-11-07 16.07.31-1.jpgWhile the Zumo 665 is touted as The Best for motorcycle use, and it is good its not without its issues
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 08-31-2012 at 09:39 PM.