Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default weight distribution for trailering

I am buying a trailer so I can tow mt spyder to FL from NH. Does anyone know what the relative weight distribution is from front vs rear?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS998 View Post
    I am buying a trailer so I can tow mt spyder to FL from NH. Does anyone know what the relative weight distribution is from front vs rear?
    Are you trying to figure what your trailer tongue weight will be with the spyder on it?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I don't remember the exact weight distribution, but if you figure the center of mass to be somewhere near the rear edge of the front tires, you will be close. If you are going to err, make it toward having more tounge weight. Too little is dangerous, whereas too much is easier to deal with.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Are you trying to figure what your trailer tongue weight will be with the spyder on it?
    It is a tilt trailer I want to insure that more weight is in front of axle (pivot point) than behind. I am very suprised that this info is not published - it would seem to be easy to do with a set of portable scales.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I don't remember the exact weight distribution, but if you figure the center of mass to be somewhere near the rear edge of the front tires, you will be close. If you are going to err, make it toward having more tounge weight. Too little is dangerous, whereas too much is easier to deal with.
    If I remember my physics class correctly the center of gravity may not be (directly) issue for this as there are 3 point loads with weights assoc with each one. If I can get my distances from front to back relative to the axle (single) correct (also pivot point of the tilt trailer) I should be able to figure it out.

Spyder Garage

It is a tilt trailer I want to insure that more weight is in front of axle (pivot point) than behind. I am very suprised that this info is not published - it would seem to be easy to do with a set of portable scales.
    More weight in front of axle? Put the spyder on the trailer fronts first. Don't know how long your tilt trailer is, or style, but in general loading the spyder fronts first will be your best bet.

If you want an axle split weight take your spyder to a public scale....weigh the front and then the back and that will give you a pretty accurate split. Shouldn't cost much.

Hope this helps and have a safe trip.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-31-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

The way I calculate it is to take into account the entire vehicle weight, at the center of mass. That is the physics that I remember for a dead load. That weight and position, combined with the distance of the COM forward of the axle, and the distance from the axle to the hitch, will allow you to calculate the addition in tongue weight when you load the vehicle. For a tilt trailer, you also have to calculate to the pivot point for the bed, to make sure it will tilt back down. For my enclosed trailer, I had to do a lot of calculation, to get the right positions for anywhere from 1-4 bikes, in various combinations. I was then able to place the chock mounts for these combinations. I did the same for a Spyder by itself, and a Spyder with a bike. You want at least 10-20% of the loaded trailer weight as tongue weight for good handling. If you have a 1000 pound loaded Spyder, with the back of the front fenders a foot ahead of the trailer axle, and the hitch ten feet from the axle, you will add about 100 pounds to the tongue weight in that position. If you move the Spyder COM ahead to two feet in front of the axle, you will add 200 pounds to the tongue weight. Don't forget that the nose overhangs quite a bit. If the front of the trailer is raised, you may not to be able to roll the Spyder as far forward as you need, with a short trailer.

Have fun with your calculations... You are very smart to be taking this into consideration up front. I worked mine out on graph paper. That may be helpful to you, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The guy that fabricate my trailer, hitch the trailer to the towing vehicle then load the spyder into the trailer whaching the towing vehicle until it drop about an inch. He said that it will be around a 100 pounds of tongue weigth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredopr View Post
    The guy that fabricate my trailer, hitch the trailer to the towing vehicle then load the spyder into the trailer whaching the towing vehicle until it drop about an inch. He said that it will be around a 100 pounds of tongue weigth.
    Good rule of thumb.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We just bought a spyder here in FL and have to tow back to NH - what kind of trailer did you get? Would it be better to rent from U-haul in your opinion? Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Nancy's Toy is correct, a min of 10% to a max of 20%, if less the trailer will tail wag at highway speeds, if more the tow vehicle takes too much load and can be hard on the suspension. In our case its the tire that takes the full load so it is not hard to exceed the single tires load rating.