Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am RT Sway Bar Install Clarification

There are still some who think the Frunk must be removed to install the Bajaron Custom Performance Sway Bar on the RT. I even had a customer tell me that his dealer insisted that the BRP manual required that the Frunk be removed for the install and charged him labor time accordingly. OH MY!~

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit.

There is absolutely, positively no reason what-so-ever to remove the Frunk on any RT model for the install of this Sway Bar. I highly recommend against it and I do not supply instructions for Frunk removal for this reason.

The install is not difficult and it is taking the average person about 1-1/2 hours to complete. We are talking about removing 2 Tupperware bolts (not panels, just bolts. No panels need to be removed) and 2 Frunk to chassis bolts. This is the total extent of work that needs to be done regarding the Frunk (other than replacing them when the Sway Bar is mounted, of course).

Thanks for listening....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE - Custom Performance Anti-Sway Bar for the RT

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are still some who think the Frunk must be removed to install the Bajaron Custom Performance Sway Bar on the RT. I even had a customer tell me that his dealer insisted that the BRP manual required that the Frunk be removed for the install and charged him labor time accordingly. OH MY!~

There is absolutely, positively no reason what-so-ever to remove the Frunk on any RT model for the install of this Sway Bar. I highly recommend against it and I do not supply instructions for Frunk removal for this reason.

The install is not difficult and it is taking the average person about 1-1/2 hours to complete. We are talking about removing 2 Tupperware bolts (not panels, just bolts. No panels need to be removed) and 2 Frunk to chassis bolts. This is the total extent of work that needs to be done regarding the Frunk (other than replacing them when the Sway Bar is mounted, of course).

Thanks for listening....
    AMEN! I did it, frunk installed, absolutely no issues, best mod bang for the buck you will find for any RT, PERIOD!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Order placed!

Looking forward to getting it on.

Hmm ... that don't sound right.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for listening....
    Took me and my bro only 45 minutes to install. No Frunk removal. Included instructions are clear and precise. Thanks BajaRon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took just a little bit longer...
    FIVE hours...
    But that's not the fault of the Bar, or it's designer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I took just a little bit longer...
    FIVE hours...
    But that's not the fault of the Bar, or it's designer!
    I hope it doesn't take 5 hours of riding to find out what you think about the bar....

Spyder Garage

Does the sway bar stiffen up the side to side motion?

Are they bigger in diameter than the stock bars?

I have 60 miles on my 2012 Blue Spyder RT-S SE5 and while behind a truck the bike was shifting side to side enough to worry my wife... she even commented that she wanted to ride the BlueWing to Bald Knob Arkansas next month for Cajun food... will this help with the side to side wandering?

Thanks
    John

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

I have 60 miles on my 2012 Blue Spyder RT-S SE5 and while behind a truck the bike was shifting side to side enough to worry my wife... she even commented that she wanted to ride the BlueWing to Bald Knob Arkansas next month for Cajun food... will this help with the side to side wandering?

Thanks
    John
    I can only dream about the bar at this point, but from my experience two things hugely improved the scenario you posted. I now run 19 psi in the front tires and 28 in the rear, nothing less and replaced the windshield with CalSci model. The reduced back pressure goes a long way to cutting down the push and pull you feel, especially around trucks. The bar would be the icing for me, but I have to wait for the boss to approve.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    I can only dream about the bar at this point, but from my experience two things hugely improved the scenario you posted. I now run 19 psi in the front tires and 28 in the rear, nothing less and replaced the windshield with CalSci model. The reduced back pressure goes a long way to cutting down the push and pull you feel, especially around trucks. The bar would be the icing for me, but I have to wait for the boss to approve.
    Bob mentioned on another forum that a smaller windscreen would help, I'll have to wait till it needs replacing and get the vented one.

Did you change the front shock spring settings any?

John

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob mentioned on another forum that a smaller windscreen would help, I'll have to wait till it needs replacing and get the vented one.

John
    Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that one. I have a 2010, so I had to move mine to 5, but 4 will likely be a good choice on an 11 or 12.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John
    Hi JOhn!
    Glad to see that you found us!
    So... once again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope it doesn't take 5 hours of riding to find out what you think about the bar....
    Ron,
    I'd happily give my right tes... errr... kidney for a five-hour test ride about now...

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Thanks
    John
    Tighten up your front shocks. I've got mine cranked all the way and no longer have the side to side motion.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Tighten up your front shocks. I've got mine cranked all the way and no longer have the side to side motion.
    Thanks, I'll work with the front shock springs a bit and see how that changes the handling.

Hi Bob, yep I found my way over here and this is a busy place for sure.

Thanks
    John

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    John
    Here is a tip that may help. The Sway Bar will help with any side to side movement including cross winds and the push/pull you get as you transition past a large truck at freeway speeds.

The bar will help settle the Spyder down in these situations but your body will get the same amount of buffeting. The natural reaction is to stabilize your body by stiffening your arms and holding on tighter to the handle bars.

When you do this you unknowingly transmit your wind induced body movement through your arms to the steering creating a 'Hunting' or twitchy response from your Spyder. Anytime your body is being moved around by the wind it is very important that you isolate your hands from your body movements by relaxing your arms.

The feeling that your body is being moved around by the wind always feels greater than it really is.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Here is a tip that may help. The Sway Bar will help with any side to side movement including cross winds and the push/pull you get as you transition past a large truck at freeway speeds.

The bar will help settle the Spyder down in these situations but your body will get the same amount of buffeting. The natural reaction is to stabilize your body by stiffening your arms and holding on tighter to the handle bars.

When you do this you unknowingly transmit your wind induced body movement through your arms to the steering creating a 'Hunting' or twitchy response from your Spyder. Anytime your body is being moved around by the wind it is very important that you isolate your hands from your body movements by relaxing your arms.

The feeling that your body is being moved around by the wind always feels greater than it really is.

Hope this helps.
    Ron,

I never would have thought of than, on my BlueWing I'm one with the bike and don't lean so I assume I was trying to do the same thing on the Spyder.

Thanks
    John

Spyder Garage

Ron,

I never would have thought of than, on my BlueWing I'm one with the bike and don't lean so I assume I was trying to do the same thing on the Spyder.

Thanks
    John
    The difference isn't so much that you are one with the motorcycle, though I know exactly what you mean there. The difference is in how each steers and how sensitive they are to steering input.

The same amount of input on your wing will not get nearly as much reaction as it will on the Spyder, and the results happen much slower on the wing as well. If you let your body movement transfer to the handlebars on the Spyder, every little twitch causes almost instant movement. Since the movement is not wanted you automatically attempt to compensate by additional steering input. In a very gusty wind situation this can create a vicious circle. It is not dangerous but can be very annoying.

If you do find yourself trying to tripod off the handle bars or stiffening your arms and tightening your grip to offset windy conditions, try to lean forward just a bit to give your arms some bend, relax your arms, wrists and hands. You end up letting your upper torso move some with the buffeting but it does not translate into steering input. You may find your Spyder is much more stable than you realized.

The Spyder is a different machine and simply takes a different riding style. It's a technique that takes a bit of attention but soon it will be second nature.

Spyder Garage

In addition to what Ron said, the Spyder hasn't any gyroscopic stability like a motorcycle, so it tends to change direction and attitude more quickly when provoked.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In addition to what Ron said, the Spyder hasn't any gyroscopic stability like a motorcycle, so it tends to change direction and attitude more quickly when provoked.
    Very true. The Spyder actually has more gyroscopic inertia than a motorcycle as it has 3 larger, heavier wheels spinning and of course the engine having a transverse crankshaft. But because it is in a 3 wheeled stance instead of suspended on 2 wheels it does not have the same effect.

Whereas the gyroscopic effect naturally counteracts side force from wind on 2 wheels, it is contact with the pavement that counteracts side force on the Spyder. That is why steering input is so much more effective (or disruptive) on a Spyder than it is on 2 wheels.

Now if you'll just show us the math formula for this Scotty, we can close the loop!

Spyder Garage

The difference isn't so much that you are one with the motorcycle, though I know exactly what you mean there. The difference is in how each steers and how sensitive they are to steering input.

The same amount of input on your wing will not get nearly as much reaction as it will on the Spyder, and the results happen much slower on the wing as well. If you let your body movement transfer to the handlebars on the Spyder, every little twitch causes almost instant movement. Since the movement is not wanted you automatically attempt to compensate by additional steering input. In a very gusty wind situation this can create a vicious circle. It is not dangerous but can be very annoying.

If you do find yourself trying to tripod off the handle bars or stiffening your arms and tightening your grip to offset windy conditions, try to lean forward just a bit to give your arms some bend, relax your arms, wrists and hands. You end up letting your upper torso move some with the buffeting but it does not translate into steering input. You may find your Spyder is much more stable than you realized.

The Spyder is a different machine and simply takes a different riding style. It's a technique that takes a bit of attention but soon it will be second nature.
    I rode my buddies Spyder for about 40 miles one day and part way we swapped and I drove his trike. I was all over the place and going slow the first few miles but it got better. I have about 100 miles on Spyders so far and will get to put some miles on mine Friday. Oh, I only drove the trike a few miles and I was ready to swap back to the Spyder.

Like you say it is a different riding style and I'm sure I'll master it soon.

Thanks for the info.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a definite learning curve to the Spyder; it normally takes a couple of hundred miles before a measure of comfort starts creeping into the equation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well now I've got to eat some Crow...

I've been saying that Ron's Anti-SwayBars are as good as sliced bread and Mother's Milk together...
    They're not...
    THEY'RE EVEN BETTER!!!!!
    I dug the RT out for it's Maiden Voyage for 2013 this afternoon... 25 miles of a road that I pound over countless times each season.
    The very first turn; I was hooked!
    I think that Dave described Ron's Bar, and the Elka shocks; as making a turn into a simple fluid, single motion.
    That's the best possible way to describe what's been done.
    You cut and the bike turns! There's no more waiting for the bike to get leaned over and bite with the outside tire!

Now... I'm about as low-performance as you can be, and still have a pulse...
    I noticed imediately that the front end of the bike felt more "together" in how it turned!
    This change: Ron's Bar and a set of Elkas, will make anybody happier with the handling of their bike.
    So if you haven't ordered yet; what the Hell are you waiting for???

Spyder Garage

No question that the bar would need to be powder coated. The idea being the individual could have it coated whatever color they wanted. Though this could also be done to a bar that was coated as well. My concern would be that someone would put a bare bar on their Spyder and then tell someone that it came from me!

Also makes sense to me. How about etching some sort of number on the bar that associates the bar the the individual who purchased it?
    A certificate of authenticity so to speak (Like Seen On TV ) Preventing 'knockoffs' and perhaps liability.
    I have a 2012 RT ES5 and seriously looking into your Anti-Sway bar.
    Time, Talent, & $$$, are present issues I am dealing with. But rest assure, you will be seeing an order (From Zbunker) for one of your 'power coated'
    (perhaps authenticated) AnitSway Bar
    Ron
    Last edited by zbunker; 03-12-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: grammer

Spyder Garage

Ordered my anti-sway bar today, can't wait to get it installed and see how much it helps. I do have the spyderpops bumpskid installed so it will take a little longer to do the install.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Default Its a long long long thread 13 pages so far

So I can't read all 13 pages, but read a lot....
    Original posts lead me to think there were colors available...

Just wondering if there is a color choice or not?