Thread: DIY exhaust

Spyder Garage

Default DIY exhaust

FINALLY got off my rear and did the exhaust.

First off... NO you CANNOT just drill out your old muffler and weld it back on... That stuff is SUPER tough/tight and We couldn't get it out. So here goes...

Advanced Auto DC sport Muffler: $53
    Piece of pipe flared to fit : $18
    Piece of metal for hanger/mount: $7
    Welding on: $free if you do it yourself, or $XX if you pay a shop -- prices differ so I cannot tell you specifically.

Grand total for me: $130

I am still looking at different options for a heat shield, but I am thinking of a 4" pipe cut in half and welded on with a couple tabs. I can do the labor this time, so it will be another $12

Here are the pictures of where I cut off the muffler, and what the new one looks like on. Once I figure out the heat shield, the pipe will be painted black to match.
    The sound... is crazy! It's loud for all your fair weathered, never been around a harley, doesn't like excess noise. For all others... It sounds like a VICIOUS subaru!!

onto the photo's:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default pretty cool

nice work fly, looks good. can you post some video? i think the black would look best on your bike
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    nice work fly, looks good. can you post some video? i think the black would look best on your bike
    It took a while to upload... Stupid bandwith!

Spyder Garage

Default nice

i am working on the same thing i cut off the body of the brp "silencer" pipe along the front weld exposing the thing you show in picture 5 on the inside (guessing its some kinda of cat)did you incorporate that in this muffler or just use the flange and new muffler ?
    the sound is not as loud as i expected i like

bet this would make a mean dual setup with one each side
    Last edited by Tx web rider; 08-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    i am working on the same thing i cut off the body of the brp "silencer" pipe along the front weld exposing the thing you show in picture 5 on the inside (guessing its some kinda of cat)did you incorporate that in this muffler or just use the flange and new muffler ?
    the sound is not as loud as i expected i like

bet this would make a mean dual setup with one each side
    The stock pipe was 6184236lbs compared to the new feather wieght. here is what I put on: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...5016&showTitle=

All I did was sawz-all the old pipe off, the weld a piece of pipe onto the new muffler. Set the angle of the dangle, tack weld, then weld. It is a lot louder in person, but I enjoy it. Between the race (red filter) intake, and this pipe, I can get it to pop when down shifting (I enjoy this too).

Like I said, sounds like a vicious STI with a V8. I think a duel set-up would sound very similar and look sweet!

Spyder Garage

I've heard some talk about having to 'remap' things when an exhaust system or air intake is changed in some ways. Does this DIY Exhaust work fine without having to 'remap' for it?? Looks good and I'd like to try it on my 2012 RS..

Spyder Garage

Sounds awesome. Unfortunately I wouldn't get around the block before the cops would have me pulled over in my part of the world.

Spyder Garage

"Remapping" if like other exhausts should consist of starting it up; letting it idle for 10 minutes, shutting it down; then starting it up and riding off.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by amusher View Post
    I've heard some talk about having to 'remap' things when an exhaust system or air intake is changed in some ways. Does this DIY Exhaust work fine without having to 'remap' for it?? Looks good and I'd like to try it on my 2012 RS..
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the 'remapping' info..

Spyder Garage

Default WRONG WRONG WRONG

FLYBOY.....
    sorry to inform you, but
    YES YOU CAN CUT UP AN RS MUFFLER AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER....
    I've done a dozen or more of them....
    here are some pix....

i've done the RS and the RT muffler mods... some loud, some had a nice smooth rubble... but all were fun to build....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Attached Images Attached Images