Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post Heat problem with 2012 Can-am Spyder RT Ltd

FYI. My wife Bonny and I took the new 2012 Can-am RT out for a ride after stopping by one of the dealerships. We left AZ and went into NV and cut a corner of CA. It is late spring and it is starting to get warm but it was nothing like our summer rides when it is in 120 degree mark. After riding a while my wife started to feel sick and dizzy so we stopped and I did first aid to her and let her rest. The Can-am was saying the temperature outside was 118. We have ridden motorcycles in hotter weather then that with no problem. She was being overcome by the heat. After I got her cooled down we took off riding again now we were not near any place so we had to move on. Again after awhile she started to feel dizzy and now was in bad shape. I spotted a gas station & store so we stopped and I got her inside in the air conditioning and we stayed there for almost two hours and she was not in any condition to ride and had to call friends to come and get her. Again the Can-am was saying it was 118 but cars were saying 110. I knew she was having a heat stroke I have had it myself and have been trained to deal with it. They came from AZ to NV to get her which is a hour drive and take her to there house. We stayed at the house in the air conditioning for about three hours. At which time while cooling her down she said her legs felt funny. Pulling her pant legs up we found bad heat rash all around her both legs all the way up them plus three blister showing first, second and beginning of third degree burns. I then went out and started the bike up and with the help of my Harley buddy we found the problem. The heat coming off of the catalytic converter between rider’s foot rest and passengers. We could see were the heat went right up her pant legs and also right up to her head. It was no wonder that she was over come by the heat. Much longer and she may not be with me now.

Since then I have found two other problems which compounds that even further. One is that the heat coming from the radiator fan is not routed in a way that keeps it from the rider and passenger. While moving the heat comes out of the upper plastic cowling (coffin inlet) close to the side not out from the bike hitting the riders side leg then flows into the passenger’s leg then flows up the front of the passenger. Now the second problem is caused by the windshield of which I love the design. This is a good design of the windshield but has a bad side to it and that is when up in normal position it creates a vacuum for the passenger which sucks up the heat coming from the catalytic converter and from the radiator fan. This vacuum has been noted by magazines test riding the Can-am before my 2012 came out.

They also have a problem with heat with there temperature sensor which creates a check engine alarm. Your engine temperature was reading normal. This is so annoying plus blocks out the speed off and on. This seems to be also a known problem. Now don’t get me wrong I really like the Can-am RT Ltd but had I known of all these problems I may not have gotten one. I get stopped all the time by people asking me about my Can-am Spyder RT Ltd and I tell them how much I like it but also tell them the down sides as well. I had out so many of the dealers cards that I am beginning to think I hand out more then the dealership does. I have no problem doing this but am very disappointed in BRP. Since I sent the letter to Johanne Denault Manager, Communications concerning the problem, I have yet heard anything from him or anyone else in the company. Now some of the dealerships say that BRP does not listen to them but do the customers. Well I guess this is proving them wrong about BRP caring about there customers or there customers safety.

Spyder Garage

Glad your wife is well after her ordeal .

I see this is your first post since you joined in May! No problems up til now ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Real Heat

Many here don't understand that we are acclimated to the heat we live in and generally think we are blowing things out of proportion with posts such as this. What they don't understand is that we put a jacket on when it's in the high 60's maybe even the low 70's and they think it's a beautiful summer day.

You made some very valid points and explained them well.

Welcome, and hope your wife is doing well.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Glad your wife is OK. A few questions:

What was she wearing for foot gear?

What was she wearing for pants?

What was she wearing for her upper body? Seems like she may have been dehydrating more than getting a heat stoke.

The road surface gives off a tremendous amount of heat when the temp is reading 118...I would guess 150 or better. It's not just the heat from the Spyder.

My wife and I just got back from riding in 115 degrees. We made sure we were tanked up with Gator Aid and water. In this heat I wear a white T-shirt and a coarse, white, cotton long sleeve shirt and a pair of 1944 Corcoran boots.. She wears a long sleeve white cotton shirt, light colored jeans, socks and shoes or boots.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Glad your wife is OK. A few questions:

What was she wearing for foot gear?

What was she wearing for pants?

What was she wearing for her upper body? Seems like she may have been dehydrating more than getting a heat stoke.

The road surface gives off a tremendous amount of heat when the temp is reading 118...I would guess 150 or better. It's not just the heat from the Spyder.

My wife and I just got back from riding in 115 degrees. We made sure we were tanked up with Gator Aid and water. In this heat I wear a white T-shirt and a coarse, white, cotton long sleeve shirt and a pair of 1944 Corcoran boots.. She wears a long sleeve white cotton shirt, light colored jeans, socks and shoes or boots.
    Ocotillo, or a run to the river?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Ocotillo, or a run to the river?

​We rode to Calexico and got some lunch at Denny's. It was 123 parked in the sun and 115 riding back. Ocotillo was a cool 109!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    ​We rode to Calexico and got some lunch at Denny's. It was 123 parked in the sun and 115 riding back. Ocotillo was a cool 109!
    Hear that. The overcast kept our temp down to 112 today. Far cooler than it was yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
    Now don’t get me wrong I really like the Can-am RT Ltd but had I known of all these problems I may not have gotten one.

Wow after all that I must admit you must have a great deal of patience "I may not have gotten one" probably would not have been my observation.Relieved to hear your wife has recovered from the ordeal and thank goodness you recognized the difficulties she was having before it became out of control.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

glad to hear your wife is geting better,so now the heat you can put the fan can on and the block off plate over that hole;remove the bottem splash pans so the heat can go out the bottem.thes do a grate job of making it moore fun to ride.all these things you can get on the front page from the form suporters,.i hope this helps.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry Heat problem with 2012 Can-am Spyder RT Ltd

My wife now has a nice scar from the heat on the Can-am Spyder RT LTD. I have put on heat sheilds and that has helped with the heat coming up from below but still have a heat problem from the fan. I took off the splash sheild on the bottom right but still a lot of heat. I made a heat sheild that blocked 3/4 of the upper opening but then got a lot of heat from under the bike. It is just a bad design by Can-am. When it burnt my wifes leg she was wearing heavy motorcycle boots and jeans. The heat came right up the jeans on both legs but burnt the right leg bad. She also got heat stroke from it. Sent letters to Can-am Spyder twice but no answer as of yet which shows me that they really don't care about there customers and found out that this has been going on long before I got my 2012 Can-am Spyder RT LTD. I get a check engine light when it is over 110 on there gage which is very annoying but they still haven't put a up grade out in there software as of yet either. Other then that I enjoy the bike and am having a lot of fun with it. Even my Harley buddies like it. Not all Harley riders will wave back but they all turn there heads towards my bike lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
    My wife now has a nice scar from the heat on the Can-am Spyder RT LTD. I have put on heat sheilds and that has helped with the heat coming up from below but still have a heat problem from the fan. I took off the splash sheild on the bottom right but still a lot of heat. I made a heat sheild that blocked 3/4 of the upper opening but then got a lot of heat from under the bike. It is just a bad design by Can-am. When it burnt my wifes leg she was wearing heavy motorcycle boots and jeans. The heat came right up the jeans on both legs but burnt the right leg bad. She also got heat stroke from it. Sent letters to Can-am Spyder twice but no answer as of yet which shows me that they really don't care about there customers and found out that this has been going on long before I got my 2012 Can-am Spyder RT LTD. I get a check engine light when it is over 110 on there gage which is very annoying but they still haven't put a up grade out in there software as of yet either. Other then that I enjoy the bike and am having a lot of fun with it. Even my Harley buddies like it. Not all Harley riders will wave back but they all turn there heads towards my bike lol.

Must not have gotten the memo: Ride only in the cool of the morning or evening.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat problem with 2012 Can-am Spyder RT Ltd

I'd be really curious to see what is different from these hot spyders and mine. There is some heat, but of the burn and scar variety? No.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I'd be really curious to see what is different from these hot spyders and mine. There is some heat, but of the burn and scar variety? No.
    Can't say I have a side heat or saddle heat problem, but that doesn't mean he does not. Here's one for you. Why do people in Canada add the FanCan or block off plates with the temps they ride in?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check the lower panel and make sure it is tucked in the clips. I had mine apart and didn't install correctly, got a lot of heat but no burns. The Dealer may have installed them incorrectly. Watch driving with the Engine light on due to heat from the pavement. I did and my fuel mileage went downhill. I'm thinking maybe a bottle of butane in the frunk to cool off the sensor will help keep nanny happy.. Mine gets around 123* when it happens. Gotta love asphalt in the summer.