Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help - 2010 RT-S

Hi Everyone
    I'm been reading and learning tons about the Spyder RT. We are planning to buy one in the next month or so. We are trying to decide between buying a New Spyder or saving some cash and getting a used model. I've seen a few posts regarding the new vs. used issue but my question is the 2010 a bad bet? I know that was the 1st model year and there were some issues. But are the issues fixable if we buy a used model from a dealer would the issues have been resolved? Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the help

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KP40 View Post
    Hi Everyone
    I'm been reading and learning tons about the Spyder RT. We are planning to buy one in the next month or so. We are trying to decide between buying a New Spyder or saving some cash and getting a used model. I've seen a few posts regarding the new vs. used issue but my question is the 2010 a bad bet? I know that was the 1st model year and there were some issues. But are the issues fixable if we buy a used model from a dealer would the issues have been resolved? Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the help

I bought a used one very low miles from a dealer. Had some issues they were fixed. That said next one will be new. Will have issues very possible but just my thinking right now. If my dealer got another very low mile limited I may do that. Basically I say it depends on the unit and how it was cared for or not. Somewhat luck of the draw. I now know new or used the several items i would do out of the box.
    Josh
    AKA "Camdenlake"
    Soon to be 2012 Red Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to wait until the 2013 models come out and see whats "new". That being said, I would tend towards purchasing a new vs used. A new spyder will have a warranty. I might consider used if you can find one with a warranty or be able to purchase additional warranty coverage. Dale

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wait until the 2013's come out as the price on the 2012, 2011 left overs will become very attractive. Pretty close to what a used one may be now.

Spyder Garage

I am a fan of new over used. I own a 2010 Premier Edition #474. Not too many issues and have 28,000 miles and counting.

If you buy used, get the complete service record and even check if the was talked about on SL. You can find a lot by looking at the previous owner's posts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Teddy & I would like to say WELCOME to the SpyderHood & here's our humble Opinion

Buying a used anything is always a crap-shoot
    Like anything in life, your taking your chances.

Here's a couple of things for you to keep in mind tho

First: As you've already stated, 2010 was the very first year for the RTs to come to market and (speaking from personal experience) many dealers were not well educated on the importance of proper initial set-up of these complex machines, causing many of them (and us) a lot of issues and problems that were mostly self inflicted by their lack of prudent follow through

2nd: It was mentioned about buying used being a better bet if it came with an Extended Warranty, and on the surface, I'd agree with that statement. But after my personal experience with owning a 2010 RTS, What good is a Warranty when your Spyder is stuck in the shop waiting for parts for repairs, sometimes for weeks at a time?
    It may cover the financial cost of the repairs, but you can't ryde a Warranty and most of us have a limited riding season

We ended up trading in our 2010 RT-S on our
    2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S
    from Len & the crew at Cowtown
    and I can't tell you how happy we are that we made that decision

When you have a dealer that knows what their doing, it makes all the difference in the world

Good luck, and as others have stated, BRP says there are suppose to be big changes for the 2013 model year, so if you can hold out for a little while longer and see what developes, good deals are sure to be had on left over 11 & 12s

Spyder Garage

I am very happy with my 2010 RTS. I would not consider buying a new one, if I can find a low milage used one with a warranty. Plus, you usually get a used one with key farkles already installed, saving money twice.

However, I never finance vehicles, especially toys. It's harder to pull the dollars out of my wallet, than a bank.

I have a hard time with the "always buy new" crowd. They must have a lot more in the bank than I do.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I too would wait for the 2013s, there maybe a new model this year. I bought new because of past problems with some of the older ones. I have no regret. I don't like problems. So far no problems. But if you do buy used I would go with 2011 or newer.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also prefer the security of a new vehicle warranty... But I REALLY have enjoyed my 2010 RT A&C...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

I left the ranks of Spyder owners because of problems with my very early RT Premier edition. We both liked the bike, and we considered trading it in on an 11. Finally decided to go back to a conventional trike. Personally I think BRP went overboard with the electronics on these bikes. If the bucks were available I'd probably own one again, it had some great things that we really liked, adjustable winshield, paddle shift, heated grips for both riders, cruise, etc. We managed to put 16k miles on it in the year we owned it, in spite of it being in the shop 7 times and 45 days for warranty repairs. We simply lost confidence in it, we ride a lot of miles and Spyder dealers are few and far between. There isn't much you can do if you break down on the hiway and we only had two dealers in my state. Our shop took good care of us, but that isn't too revelant if we were somewhere else. About a year after we sold ours I was talking to the service manager and he said they had two units that they could never get right, of course one of them was mine.

With that out of the road, I'd buy new and purchase the extended warranty.

Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight; 08-28-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: sp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So let's see a pic of your new ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great info.
    I appreciate everybody taking the time to reply.