Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default longest ride in a day???

I'm headed to Florence, KY this weekend for a visit with my mom. I'm seriously thinking of taking the Spyder, but it would be the longest I've been on her in a single ride (about 500-550 miles). So far, the longest seat time I have had was about 250 miles. While that hasn't been too bad, the butt know when I've gone over about 200.
    So, how long does it take to get used to riding long distance? Also, any pointers as to what to take along for those "Oh " moments?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did 500 miles last year and while it started to hurt at the end it really was not bad. Just take some breaks and you'll be fine. I just stopped for bathroom breaks, any good scenery, and to eat and it was just enough to keep me going.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rode 750 miles to Spyderfest, and then home. I doubt that's much compared to the hard core guys, but enough for me.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Cool Wooo Hooo!!!! Florence is right in our back yard

As for riding long distances, IMHO it all depends on if your riding a stock or tricked out Spyder. Just by looking at your pic on your sig line, I'm guessing you've not added much/anything to your RT yet

IMHO, Riding stock really puts alot of strain/pain on your back, butt and legs due to the limited range of motion that you have while ryding Adding such things as a Cup-Holder, Utopia Backrest and Highway pegs can greatly increase your mobility while ryding & being able to stay hydrated (which is very important) and therefore your comfort level for being able to last much longer without getting yourself all tied up in knotts.

Teddy & I were able to do roughly 700 miles (stopping for fuel/potty breaks every 125 miles) a couple of weeks ago on our trip to SITA, and I was still ready for fun once we arrived at the campsite Adding those three mods makes an RT into a Barco-lounger on wheels

But you'll have to do whats comfortable for you and allot of that depends on you Making sure to stay hydrated and stretching while on fuel stops are very important

Also, having a GPS is nice as well, not a must but more of a luxury, but sure is nice to be able to hit the "Find Nearest Fuel" when your out in the middle of nowhere and your "Low Fuel" light comes on

Let me know if you'd like to get together when your here, cause you'll seriously be about 10 minutes south of us and we would be more than happy to show you some of the FUN roads to ryde

Spyder Garage

I've done roughly 600 miles a day, for a couple days to get to CO, and that was on my BMW F650. I've yet to do a LD trip on the Spyder since I've got it, but I'm sure LD on the Spyder will be WAY more comfortable.

Be sure to wear wicking type underwear. You don't want cotton holding on to moisture down there...unless you enjoy itchy butt.

And while I've never needed it, I hear monkey butt powder does wonders too.

I also always carry, among other things, a basic first aid kit which I've supplemented with little pill containers containing various drugs like naproxen, aspirin, Imodium, etc. Also, and this is just from my backpacking experience, I carry one of those tubeless rolls of TP (you can usually find this at sporting goods stores like Academy) in case there's an unexpected stop or if it is out in the stall you happen to be sitting in.

I think one key to making miles is to just stay relaxed, and when you make stops for gas, take the opportunity to walk around, stretch, take care of business, and get something to drink. Staying hydrated on long trips is also very important.

Have fun, be safe, and take pictures That's about it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

550 miles to Spyderfest in 9 hours on a stock GS/RS.

Spyder Garage

1,465 miles.

The trick is to ride from fuel up to fuel up with the idea that 'I can do one more leg, just one more'. If you start out thinking, 'I'm going to ride 1,465 miles today', your brain starts thinking 'I've got 900 more miles to ride, I've got 800 more miles to ride', etc., and your attitude becomes, 'No WAY! I am NOT going to be able to do this!'.

When you get to a point where you don't feel you can do another leg, then you quit, wherever that might be.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

An Airhawk or Alaska Leather sheepskin can extend your comfortable range. While I have done many 500-600 mile days on my Spyder, and a couple of 750s, There is always some protest from the caboose toward the end of a long day. Pushing your limits and seeing what you can manage (or endure) is a good thing sometimes, though. You will feel a real sense of accomplishment after your first long trip. Go for it, there is no way to know your limits (or the need for an aftermarket seat) like trying. Godspeed!

Spyder Garage

I look at it as how many fuel stops. Stop every 100 miles or so and you should be fine. Drink a lot of water too.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I'm headed to Florence, KY this weekend for a visit with my mom. I'm seriously thinking of taking the Spyder, but it would be the longest I've been on her in a single ride (about 500-550 miles). So far, the longest seat time I have had was about 250 miles. While that hasn't been too bad, the butt know when I've gone over about 200.
    So, how long does it take to get used to riding long distance? Also, any pointers as to what to take along for those "Oh " moments?
    Stop........ it's not a 500 mile trip. It's 4, 125 mile rides. When you stop for fuel listen to your body. If it says take a break....take a break.

On my way back from Durango - 800 miles. We had one break of 2 hrs because a semi had flipped on the freeway and blocked all lanes. Then there were the normal fuel stops and on two different occasions they were long stops to eat, freshen up, and generally rest a bit. 800 miles, 2hr delay for accident, plus other fuel and rest breaks. Total time 16 hrs.

What to take. Proper clothing for all weather possibility's, basic tools, and a credit card.

Have fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    What to take. Proper clothing for all weather possibility's, basic tools, and a credit card

And a GOOD Friend!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get a Butler Mug for water ( sponsor here) take a drink about every 15-30 min depending on temp.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Cool Couldn't agree more, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    And a GOOD Friend!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I look at it as how many fuel stops. Stop every 100 miles or so and you should be fine. Drink a lot of water too.
    That'll give you another reason to take a stop a bit more frequently...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    As for riding long distances, IMHO it all depends on if your riding a stock or tricked out Spyder. Just by looking at your pic on your sig line, I'm guessing you've not added much/anything to your RT yet

IMHO, Riding stock really puts alot of strain/pain on your back, butt and legs due to the limited range of motion that you have while ryding Adding such things as a Cup-Holder, Utopia Backrest and Highway pegs can greatly increase your mobility while ryding & being able to stay hydrated (which is very important) and therefore your comfort level for being able to last much longer without getting yourself all tied up in knotts.

Teddy & I were able to do roughly 700 miles (stopping for fuel/potty breaks every 125 miles) a couple of weeks ago on our trip to SITA, and I was still ready for fun once we arrived at the campsite Adding those three mods makes an RT into a Barco-lounger on wheels

But you'll have to do whats comfortable for you and allot of that depends on you Making sure to stay hydrated and stretching while on fuel stops are very important

Also, having a GPS is nice as well, not a must but more of a luxury, but sure is nice to be able to hit the "Find Nearest Fuel" when your out in the middle of nowhere and your "Low Fuel" light comes on

Let me know if you'd like to get together when your here, cause you'll seriously be about 10 minutes south of us and we would be more than happy to show you some of the FUN roads to ryde
    I was going to send you a message to let you know I was in your neck of the woods. I'd love to meet up. Lisa will be jealous! She's stuck in Charlotte working the DNC, and has been wanting to meet Teddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I plan on heading home around the 7th, or 8th. I didn't sign up for the BBQ, but may try to detour over that way on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    What to take. Proper clothing for all weather possibility's, basic tools, and a credit card.
    I have a small tool bag that I carry with me - besides the BRP tools, I have some other basics (screwdrivers and such), a 12V compressor, and a tire plug kit.... Anything else I'm missing?

I also know that the more tools I have on hand, the less the chance is I'll need them!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

And a GOOD Friend!
    I'm going it alone this trip... Maybe another reason for the hesitation...

Spyder Garage

This past Saturday we did over 400 miles. Stopped every 70 miles to refresh. My wife was getting pretty beat up on the RSS but was a real trooper. So yesterday we order a CalSCi windshield. Next will be a different seat or seat pad and then highway pegs.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Cool Don't forget music - If you don't have it on your RT maybe a headset would work for u

I sent you a PM with all my contact info, don't be afraid to use it anytime.
    Your NOT alone on this journey

And something I forgot to mention in my previous post to help with a long road trip is
    tunes

Music can be a wonderful way to help pass the miles on the long road ahead
    Especially something with kick that you really enjoy

Just be careful, as I've found for myself

ACDC can really get me into trouble
    if I forget to use the cruise control and loose track of the limits
    cause for some reason
    Teds Red Sled just keeps going
    faster and faster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I'm going it alone this trip... Maybe another reason for the hesitation...
    I've done it both ways many times. It's better with a friend but it's a lot of fun either way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,

Do it. Take some rain gear just in case. Take a long sleeve shirt to spare your arms the sun, but also bring the sun screen.

You are roughly 500 miles one way. I've done near 700 on my GS with stock seat and the bead riders. Everyone is different and to be honest, every day is different. There are days my butt can only do 200 miles and days like that 700 where I could have done 1000. You'll never know until you do it.

Please do it and please make sure you stop at the BBQ... you have no idea how awesome Lamont's BBQ is and you'll be able to sit on a lot of RT's that have custom seats, highway pegs and other accessories. That alone will be worth the trip to the BBQ to get a good idea on the accessories you'll most want to add and their quality/fit and finish.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Set up a schedule, stick to it and don't try to do too much too early. Here's what I do for a long ride. Gas up the night before. In the am do 100 miles, take a break, gas up even if you don't think you need to and eat a light breakfast. Do another 100 miles and stop for gas. Do 125 miles and have a light lunch. Do 100 miles and get gas. Ride for another 125 miles and get gas. Total miles so far is 450 miles. Now I ride until I find a good place to stop for the night usually about 50 to 75 miles. this gives me a pretty good 500 to 525 mile day and you an do this day after day since it is not that intensive, about 9 to 10 hours at 50 to 55 mph. If you keep your pace constant and not too white knuckled you can ride forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've only had to stretch as far as 350 miles in one day... . If you plan for the trip wisely, you should be more than capable of managing it.
    If it was me; I'd leave early in the morning; get perhaps on re-fueling stop in just after daybreak. That gives lots of time to pile up the miles before a second fuel and food stop. (My army travels on its stomach!). You can kind of figure that the 500 miles will take a total of about four re-fueling stops, so "mid-afternoonish" might have you at about 375 miles, and then thie final stop and drop for the day with the last fillup...
    And a bed and a Bible...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Dave,

Do it. Take some rain gear just in case. Take a long sleeve shirt to spare your arms the sun, but also bring the sun screen.

You are roughly 500 miles one way. I've done near 700 on my GS with stock seat and the bead riders. Everyone is different and to be honest, every day is different. There are days my butt can only do 200 miles and days like that 700 where I could have done 1000. You'll never know until you do it.

Please do it and please make sure you stop at the BBQ... you have no idea how awesome Lamont's BBQ is and you'll be able to sit on a lot of RT's that have custom seats, highway pegs and other accessories. That alone will be worth the trip to the BBQ to get a good idea on the accessories you'll most want to add and their quality/fit and finish.
    I picked up one of the Tourmaster mesh jackets (the one with the waterproof and quilted liners) Just in case I decided to go for it, so I'll have that, and will probably just start with a long sleeve Tee shirt. I have the Scorpion modular helmet, so I can convert to open face if it gets too hot.

I've been looking at the GPS to get an idea of a route to take to stop by Lamonsters BBQ, and now, I'm thinking of leaving my moms on Friday, so I can spend Saturday there, and maybe tag along home with someone from the BBQ.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've only had to stretch as far as 350 miles in one day... . If you plan for the trip wisely, you should be more than capable of managing it.
    If it was me; I'd leave early in the morning; get perhaps on re-fueling stop in just after daybreak. That gives lots of time to pile up the miles before a second fuel and food stop. (My army travels on its stomach!). You can kind of figure that the 500 miles will take a total of about four re-fueling stops, so "mid-afternoonish" might have you at about 375 miles, and then thie final stop and drop for the day with the last fillup...
    And a bed and a Bible...
    I think the wife starts her 6:00AM to 6:00PM days on the Sep 1, so maybe I'll head out about the same time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a plan...

Spyder Garage

As others have said, just take your time and walk around a little at every gas stop. If you see something interesting along the way pull over and check it out. The miles will pass by much easier if you check your route and see if there is a "sight to see" about half way, just to have something to do for an hour or so. I enjoy the spyder so much that I could just keep going even at the end of a 500 mile day. By the way, mine was stock when I went across country and back (4,525 miles), I still have the stock seat, some people change to after market but mine seems to fit me o.k. I have added Lamonts NBV's and it does help to have a different foot position for sure. Enjoy the ride.
    Happy Spyderlovers