Thread: Belt vibration

Spyder Garage

Default Belt vibration

Have read several discussions about the RT vibrating at different rpms/speeds. Some have pointed out to check for loose engine mounts, engine touching frame etc.
    One post I read the owner had his belt adjusted four times I think and all it did was change the speed and rpms when the vibration came and went.

This is just a thought: Has anyone checked to see if the rear sprocket is running true and true with the rear wheel?? If it is not this would cause the belt to loosen and tighten and ( I think ) make the belt vibrate at different speeds regardless of how tight it is. Just a thought.

Dave

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Certainly worth a look and easy to check for - out of round - and - side to side movement.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Good suggestion. It doesn't even take that much. I picked up a nagging vibration on mine over time. I was going to check motor mount clearance, but while I was checking the rear sprocket for a stone, I found numerous tiny bits of tar stuck to the rear sprocket. These were no more than 1/8-1/4" across, and so flat they could barely be felt with a screwdriver blade...I'd say maybe 1/32-1/16" tops. After scraping them off and throroughly cleaning the sprocket, the vibration was gone.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Good suggestion. It doesn't even take that much. I picked up a nagging vibration on mine over time. I was going to check motor mount clearance, but while I was checking the rear sprocket for a stone, I found numerous tiny bits of tar stuck to the rear sprocket. These were no more than 1/8-1/4" across, and so flat they could barely be felt with a screwdriver blade...I'd say maybe 1/32-1/16" tops. After scraping them off and throroughly cleaning the sprocket, the vibration was gone.

Yes quite true. I read your post about that and checked and cleaned mine. It made a difference. Couldnt believe it.
    Josh
    AKA "Camdenlake"
    Soon to be 2012 Red Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sounds like a project that even I could handle without much blood loss...
    The last time that I was at the dealer; they checked and adjusted the belt tension and alignment as part of the servicing.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have the same vibration everyone else is talking about....50mph ± to 60mph ±. I rolled the forward on the garage floor, scooting along behind on a wheeled stool, and watched to belt & pulley carefully. The belt appears to be exactly centered on the pully, no lateral runout, belt tension seems good, nothing on the sprocket teeth...etc. but while out last night the vibration was still there. I could feel it mainly in my feet, coming thru the footpegs.

It kinda comes and goes, almost feels like a belt vibration thing....like resonance building & disipating
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

I've read much about belt vibration and possible solutions centering around alignment and belt tensioners. Could you change the resonant frequency of the belt by raising or lowering a tooth on the sprockets, thus changing the dynamics of the vibration?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well that would change your rpm levels... it would certainly affect it; just how might be anyone's guess.
    Folks have kicked around the idea of sprockets with varying tooth numbers for a while, but I don't think that any reliable source ever panned out for them.

Spyder Garage

I too have a 'zone' of vibration on mine. It seems to be in the 5K RPM range no matter what the gear.

Tension and alignment seem proper. Thanks to Lamont's post in another thread, I'll be double checking the motor/frame shim to make sure that's proper next.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well no WONDER I never feel it... I need to ride faster to get to 5000 rpm!
    Maybe I shouldn't; do I want to be worrying about something else???