Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Right now most of the Spyders out there are under some type of warrantee through a reputable dealer. As the years go by and more and more Spyders are sold used with high miles and no warrantee, those little computers and DPS units will get more and more desirable. It will then be more attractive for thieves to part out a stolen Spyder and sell them to a less than reputable secondary repair market. The consumer, always looking for a good deal will supply the cash to drive this. The countermeasure for this is to support your dealer and realize that great buy on a used part on E Bay may be from a Spyderlovers stolen Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Reminds me of when I took my 1953 F-100 in to get some tires. The poor young kid that went out to get it and put it on the rack, couldn't figure how to start it. Iy has a starter button on the dash (unmarked). After I showed him that, he called me back...didn't know how to drive three-on-a-tree. We just need to reverse the technology a bit and our rides will be safe.
    You mean like introducing a choke switch - the old style pull out type that stuck out of the dash?

JR

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Right now most of the Spyders out there are under some type of warrantee through a reputable dealer. As the years go by and more and more Spyders are sold used with high miles and no warrantee, those little computers and DPS units will get more and more desirable. It will then be more attractive for thieves to part out a stolen Spyder and sell them to a less than reputable secondary repair market. The consumer, always looking for a good deal will supply the cash to drive this. The countermeasure for this is to support your dealer and realize that great buy on a used part on E Bay may be from a Spyderlovers stolen Spyder.
    It's only a matter of time...supply and demand... I agree that it all comes down to the Spyder owner to ensure that parts including used parts are from either someone who is upgrading or from a legit supplier....

I think I will etch as many parts as possible...if thieves realize that there is no money to be made, they will find easier pickings elsewhere....

Some of the etching kits I've seen over the years include stickers to warn people that parts are etched for tracking purposes...

JR

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Are really cool warning stickers like that available at the dealership or through private supplier? I like it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Bob,

Now you know trunk monkeys are not legal in all 50 states
    especially new jersey! $250.00 first offense!