Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Newbie....just looking

I've been riding for 30 years now and for the same reason as I suspect with some of the other members here, my legs and back just aren't what it use to be...so I've started looking at other ways to be able to keep my "wind therapy"

As I don't know anyone personally that has a Spyder, this I am hoping can be a good starting point to ask some stupid questions and get some lessons learned data versus having to make those same mistakes myself....

Currently riding a custom built Fatboy, currently living in southern Ontario.

JR

Spyder Garage

​might want to peruse this thread, good information provided by consensus

Oh and welcome, enjoy the ride when you get it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

This is a great place to come, learn and ask questions! Wish we would have found it before we purchased ours, but glad we have. This is a great group of Ryder's, willing to jump in and answer any and all questions. I suggest you explore all of the different forums - there is a wealth of information there! I keep finding out more and more things, which is awesome!

We have had our RT Ltd for 7 weeks now and are first time motorcycle/trike owners. You definitely get lots of looks, smiles and questions when you ryde one!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Might want to rent one first ,we did and the dealer reimbursed the rental cost when we bought our spyder. Welcome and good luck , you have come to the right place for all things spyder related.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This is really a great place for info. I lurked on this site a long time befor I bought. I thought I was done with bikes before I found the enabled forum on this site. Great site, great people, most will go out of there way to help with any issues.

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello CDNSpyder, we're new to Spyder and this forum. I've found a lot of helpful information just reading away. Wife says "what are you doing?" My response is "learning MORE about your Spyder" She knows where I'm at! She went from a Sportster to the RT-S and loves it!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, Wecome & Welcome

You are in the right location to find out all about the machine called Can-Am Spyder. You are definitely in the right location to meet some of the greatest, most helpful, caring people in the world....Spyderlovers....
    Glad to have you checking us out!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Good luck making your decision. Try not to let the negative posts on here stop you from checking out the Spyder...sometimes it's a lot easier to about something, than to say something positive. We've owned our GS/RS just over two years and have put over 30000 miles on it. We absolutely love it. My husband (Erags/Ed) previously rode motorcycles but it had been years since he had one. I refused to go along with the idea of a two wheel bike; we both liked the safety features (and looks!) of the Spyder over the conventional trike. It's been a blast riding the all over the country...we'd have a lot more miles on it if Ed hadn't gotten sick this summer. It's probably easier for a newbie rider to adjust to the Spyder than a veteran biker since it's more like driving a car than a bike. If you've had a jet ski or an ATV before you shouldn't have any problems...if not, you need to give yourself lots of miles on it before deciding you don't care for it. I agree with the others...take a test drive if you can, preferably a long one. This forum has all sorts of folks that can answer questions...the community is absolutely awesome! Good luck with your decision making.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    ​might want to peruse this thread, good information provided by consensus

Oh and welcome, enjoy the ride when you get it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    Thanks, yes, I was told this was "the place" to start my journey...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by Brew crew View Post
    This is a great place to come, learn and ask questions! Wish we would have found it before we purchased ours, but glad we have. This is a great group of Ryder's, willing to jump in and answer any and all questions. I suggest you explore all of the different forums - there is a wealth of information there! I keep finding out more and more things, which is awesome!

We have had our RT Ltd for 7 weeks now and are first time motorcycle/trike owners. You definitely get lots of looks, smiles and questions when you ryde one!
    With me, my curiosity was heightened when I stopped for fuel and saw a Spyder...asked a bunch of questions and she suggested I try this site...back to web searches and dealerships in the area and plan on actually visiting a few dealers in the next few weeks. I travel extensively so I have the luxury of not being committed to a local shop only....thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rental before purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Might want to rent one first ,we did and the dealer reimbursed the rental cost when we bought our spyder. Welcome and good luck , you have come to the right place for all things spyder related.
    Someone had mentioned that as a really good fact finding, real life test ride versus a designated course or route....are the rentals actual rentals or are they demos that the dealership sells off as demos?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default room in garage for more than a 2 wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by 800steve View Post
    This is really a great place for info. I lurked on this site a long time befor I bought. I thought I was done with bikes before I found the enabled forum on this site. Great site, great people, most will go out of there way to help with any issues.
    In ideal scenario, I can keep my current ride and add a Spyder to the stable....that being said, each time I have done that in the past with bikes, I quickly found the new machine got all of my attention and the back-up was neglected...I suppose my decision will be easier if i post my ride for sale or discuss a trade....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRT-S View Post
    Hello CDNSpyder, we're new to Spyder and this forum. I've found a lot of helpful information just reading away. Wife says "what are you doing?" My response is "learning MORE about your Spyder" She knows where I'm at! She went from a Sportster to the RT-S and loves it!
    My current ride is a 2001 custom built Fatboy.....I'm concerned about the lack of HP versus my current ride....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    You are in the right location to find out all about the machine called Can-Am Spyder. You are definitely in the right location to meet some of the greatest, most helpful, caring people in the world....Spyderlovers....
    Glad to have you checking us out!!!
    Thanks, I've already started to notice that.....after 30 years on 2 wheels, maybe I'll get another 30 on 3!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    Good luck making your decision. Try not to let the negative posts on here stop you from checking out the Spyder...sometimes it's a lot easier to about something, than to say something positive. We've owned our GS/RS just over two years and have put over 30000 miles on it. We absolutely love it. My husband (Erags/Ed) previously rode motorcycles but it had been years since he had one. I refused to go along with the idea of a two wheel bike; we both liked the safety features (and looks!) of the Spyder over the conventional trike. It's been a blast riding the all over the country...we'd have a lot more miles on it if Ed hadn't gotten sick this summer. It's probably easier for a newbie rider to adjust to the Spyder than a veteran biker since it's more like driving a car than a bike. If you've had a jet ski or an ATV before you shouldn't have any problems...if not, you need to give yourself lots of miles on it before deciding you don't care for it. I agree with the others...take a test drive if you can, preferably a long one. This forum has all sorts of folks that can answer questions...the community is absolutely awesome! Good luck with your decision making.
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for, the good, the bad and the ugly....a sales person will tell you what will close the deal - unlike motorcycles where just about everyone has owned one or knows people who do, owners are still a minority but growing.... my wife also refuses to get on the bike, other than for short local rides while I want to resume doing long trips as i did in my younger days...thanks again.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CDNSpyder View Post
    Someone had mentioned that as a really good fact finding, real life test ride versus a designated course or route....are the rentals actual rentals or are they demos that the dealership sells off as demos?
    My dealer in Mirabel, Quebec actually has about 3 or 4 that are rentals. The one I rented was the same as the one I bought whichwas a lava bronze RT limited. It is a good place to start and see if the Spyder is for you and the worst you would be out is 250$. Just be aware that it is a lot of fun, and you might find that you've been bitten after a day of riding! Good luck and keep us posted!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    My dealer in Mirabel, Quebec actually has about 3 or 4 that are rentals. The one I rented was the same as the one I bought whichwas a lava bronze RT limited. It is a good place to start and see if the Spyder is for you and the worst you would be out is 250$. Just be aware that it is a lot of fun, and you might find that you've been bitten after a day of riding! Good luck and keep us posted!
    Now I'm looking at how I can incorporate a business trip to Montreal to visit Mirabel.

You're right, a $250 investment is money earned either way.......

Spyder Garage

In ideal scenario, I can keep my current ride and add a Spyder to the stable....that being said, each time I have done that in the past with bikes, I quickly found the new machine got all of my attention and the back-up was neglected...I suppose my decision will be easier if i post my ride for sale or discuss a trade....
    Being able to on the money end, I did just that. The first year I rode my ST1100 about a thousand miles. The second year about 500 miles. The third year I had about fifty on the St1100 and very stale gas. Another PGR rider ( Gold Wing ) said, he had been "lusting" after the ST since he saw it. I sold it to him. He rides on PGR missions.
    Good Luck and safe riding.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

to the site. Do not hesitate to ask any questions. A lot of people here are willing to help.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Being able to on the money end, I did just that. The first year I rode my ST1100 about a thousand miles. The second year about 500 miles. The third year I had about fifty on the St1100 and very stale gas. Another PGR rider ( Gold Wing ) said, he had been "lusting" after the ST since he saw it. I sold it to him. He rides on PGR missions.
    Good Luck and safe riding.
    Oldmanzues
    That's sort of what I figured would/will happen....the extra cost for insurance and bike sitting there getting older won't make it any easier to tell - I may just work the bike into the trade and if I miss 2 wheels, I can always get myself one of the classics I've been thinking of for years like a Royal Enfield.

Spyder Garage

That's sort of what I figured would/will happen....the extra cost for insurance and bike sitting there getting older won't make it any easier to tell - I may just work the bike into the trade and if I miss 2 wheels, I can always get myself one of the classics I've been thinking of for years like a Royal Enfield.
    Funny that you mention a Royal Enfield...............Cowtown (in Cuba Mo.) has one sitting on their showroom floor, with a sidecar. Not a bad lookin' bike.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GloryRyders View Post
    Funny that you mention a Royal Enfield...............Cowtown (in Cuba Mo.) has one sitting on their showroom floor, with a sidecar. Not a bad lookin' bike.
    I'm seeing that ryders are my kind of folk! I mentioned the Royal Enfield as I have been tracking them going into business and out of business just about once a decade since I started riding....another little classic is the 1982 Yamaha RD350.

JR